Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Nemesis
Make: CAPE 79
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250 4 stroke
Send a message via AIM to Rene Send a message via MSN to Rene
bleeding hydraulic steering

Hi

I just changed the engine on my boat, and now I need to bleed the hydraulic steering.
I have never done this before, so any clues will be appriciated.

This is going to be DIY project. All the cabels and connectores from the old engine was a perfect fit on the new one, so I didn't have to change anything else but the engine
I just unpluged the old one and repluged the new one. Even the mounting holes in the transom was a perfect match. (Is this normal, or am I missing something here)

Old engine : Yamaha 115 (Broken gear shift) DIY repair in progress
New engine : Yamaha 150 Vmax.

Thanks
Rene
Old 14 March 2003, 17:15   #2

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Bleeding Steering - not a Fun job!

Like any other hydraulic system they don’t work unless ALL OF THE AIR is bled out of the system properly. Start by making the final adjustments to the hydraulic line routing and then attach both ends of them to the helm unit and piston/ram assembly. Make sure to get them on the right way so you don’t turn left when steering right! That would be a BAD thing! You will need another body to assist you. On the helm end remove the fill port plug and attach the supply fitting and invert the fluid supply such that no air can enter the system. On the ram end loosen the bleed nut on one side of the ram. Then turn the steering wheel to pump fluid through one side of the system….forcing air out the other end by the ram/piston end of the system. Collect extra hydraulic fluid coming out of the ram bleed hole by using the little extension tube that comes with the kit. You will have to replenish the fluid fill supply several times during this process until the lines are FULL of fluid and NO AIR comes out when operating the helm unit. You would be advised to do two complete bleed cycles….I found that about 4 were necessary when first filling the unit to get all of the air out. It is tricky and time consuming but probably worth it to do it properly when first filling the system. The firmness of your steering performance will depend on doing a good job here. You will need to save and reuse the excess hydraulic fluid or you will not have enough….and apparently it is special as they say to NOT use brake fluid or transmission fluid. Once you and your partner develop a system it will go much quicker….be careful not to spill hydraulic fluid on your carpet and seats! Repeat this procedure with the other side of the ram/piston unit. Verify that all fittings are tight and leak check by turning the steering all the way over to the stops and apply pressure. Check all fittings for hydraulic fluid leaks. If a leak is discovered…tighten and re-bleed that portion of the system.
Old 14 March 2003, 19:56   #3

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
bleeding

If there is no bleed point on the ram do this.As Charles suggested make sure that the hoses are in the corect order on the helm unit but dissconect one of them, as the helm is a pump spin it one way while filling with fluid and place a container under the disconnected hose to collect fluid on the way back to the helm. when a good flow of oil is evident into the container whilist you spin the wheel , reconnect the hose, top up resivor on the helm and lock the steering all the way left and all the way right.As the helm is the highest part of the system air will collect in it and you simply vent this by opening the filler cap and repeating the lock left and right a couple of times, periodically venting as you go. As Charles says getting it right now will ensure positive sterring in the future gavin
Old 14 March 2003, 21:38   #4

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Rene,

Your steering has two bleed nipples facing forward on each end of the ram. Charles description is quite accurate, the only thing I used to do was attach two pieces of clear tube one on each nipple and put the ends in a glass so air isn't drawn back up into the ram. The fluid will go everywhere and you will need at least two litres to do it from empty. A small jug helps pour it into the pump under the wheel.

I am sure you will get the hang of it, and do the whole thing in about 2 hours with a willing volunteer.
Regards
Pete
Old 15 March 2003, 10:01   #5

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Bleeding System

Morning,

This may help you, when bleeding brakes on a car you can by a kit from Halfords.

This kit conects to the bleed niples in the same way but has a none return valve so makes bleeding a one man job maybe of use as niples and tube can be addapted to fit.

Good Luck
Old 17 March 2003, 13:44   #6

just erase this one
Old 17 March 2003, 13:45   #7

Hi

Thanks for all your help. It was pretty simple ones I got the hang of it.
Loosen the two bleed nipples and poor new fluid into the steering wheel. But what a mees. Even when I tried to collect the fluid coming out of the nipples....

But I only needed a little bit of hydraulic fluid, because I didn't need to bleed the complete system, only the ram.

This ram seems to bet different that my old one. I need to turn my steering wheel a lot more than before to get from one side to the other.

Anyway thanks for all your help

Rene