Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 05 June 2017, 18:00   #21

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
So can you not answer a basic question reference oil consumption or will it dilute your very argument. ?
Old 05 June 2017, 18:26   #22

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
So can you not answer a basic question reference oil consumption or will it dilute your very argument. ?

Nope, oil would've cost around £200. The £600 quoted was the actual cost of servicing the engine. You cannot remove the time & fuel as these costs are directly related to getting the engine serviced. So notwithstanding my time, add another 700 miles of diesel into the mix. This is one round trip to Ribcraft for the 20hr "run in service" + 2 trips to my "local" dealer who is 50 odd miles away. So let's say 25mpg@ £5/gal. I'll let you do the maths. By the time the 5 yr warranty expires I will have spent around £2300 on servicing the Suzuki . Based on the same servicing costs (although Etecs are cheaper to service, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) I would spend around £600 servicing an Etec. A difference of £1900, that's a lot of oil & time.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2017, 18:44   #23

Worth every penny! Like good champagne

As an afterthought, if your unhappy with the performance , maybe too much weight on yours as the last 545 I drove with a 2012 DF 140 was achieving 44 knots on flat calm. I thought that was a fantastic speed to get out of a V deep hull
Old 05 June 2017, 21:29   #24

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
Well that escalated quickly[emoji50]

Aye! Don't sweat it, it's normal when someone uses the special trigger word. Think Pavlov's dog[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 05 June 2017, 22:27   #25

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Looking at some of these figures I think some of you are getting ripped off in regards to service costs. My Yam f70 states a service every 200 hrs or yearly, even though Yamaha now recomend 200 hr intervals I still service mine at 100 hrs which is twice a year for me.

The mobile Yamaha mechanic I use has fantastic reputation that can make actually getting him a bit tricky at times. He mainly services the comercial side of outboards such as oyster farmers, water police, maritime etc as he gets to do several outboards in one place rather than wasting time on the road getting from job to job.

Pricing for my 70 4 stroke is about $150-$200 or 75-90 quid, this was slightly more on my Suzuki 115 due to the service kit being more expensive. Each service is just under two hours and by having it done at home I'm able to learne and watch the job get done.

I've yet to meet any outboard mechanic who can explain how things like impellors and gearbox oil, grease points, anodes etc need replacing by some manufactures and not others. In saying that there are plenty of people who never change the gearbox oil and rarely change the engine oil in their 4 stroke cars. Yes cars are 4 strokes and there are millions of them on the roads simply because of their reliability.
Old 06 June 2017, 08:57   #26

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Looking at some of these figures I think some of you are getting ripped off in regards to service costs. My Yam f70 states a service every 200 hrs or yearly, even though Yamaha now recomend 200 hr intervals I still service mine at 100 hrs which is twice a year for me.

The mobile Yamaha mechanic I use has fantastic reputation that can make actually getting him a bit tricky at times. He mainly services the comercial side of outboards such as oyster farmers, water police, maritime etc as he gets to do several outboards in one place rather than wasting time on the road getting from job to job.

Pricing for my 70 4 stroke is about $150-$200 or 75-90 quid, this was slightly more on my Suzuki 115 due to the service kit being more expensive. Each service is just under two hours and by having it done at home I'm able to learne and watch the job get done.

I've yet to meet any outboard mechanic who can explain how things like impellors and gearbox oil, grease points, anodes etc need replacing by some manufactures and not others. In saying that there are plenty of people who never change the gearbox oil and rarely change the engine oil in their 4 stroke cars. Yes cars are 4 strokes and there are millions of them on the roads simply because of their reliability.

The DF140 service kit is around £250 for starters & then they charge you 3hours labour at £60/hr then there's 20%VAT to go on at the end. Whilst the engine is in warranty, they've got you by the shorts.
Old 06 June 2017, 11:50   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover310 View Post
Shame this thread has gone off-topic, and become a 'brand' pissing contest.

If willk doesn't beat me to it I will get the feather duster out tonight and tidy it up into two distinct threads... then we can have two arguments at once!
Old 06 June 2017, 12:17   #28

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
If willk doesn't beat me to it I will get the feather duster out tonight and tidy it up into two distinct threads... then we can have two arguments at once!

Or you you could just tag it onto the other interminable E**c bashing threads[emoji849]
Old 06 June 2017, 13:44   #29

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Just two and here was me thinking it could be four or five depending on interpretation
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2017, 16:30   #30

Just spoken to a Ribnet member on here who has a DF140/ RC585 and he was charged £285 inc Vat for a full service , inc inner anodes. where you getting £600 from PD.

Dissing the Suzibishi to make the Evilrude look better.
Old 06 June 2017, 16:57   #31

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Just spoken to a Ribnet member on here who has a DF140/ RC585 and he was charged £285 inc Vat for a full service , inc inner anodes. where you getting £600 from PD.

Dissing the Suzibishi to make the Evilrude look better.

Hmm, seems you have trouble with the reading as well as the writing. The £600 quoted was for TWO services, which had you read my post correctly, would have saved the embarrassing self shot to the foot. It would seem that the person manipulating the figures to suit his own argument ain't me. See below. I'm assuming you realised that my figures were for 2 services & then hastily changed your original post to suit, unluckily, not hasty enough.

This is now getting tedious & embarrassing so I'm invoking my own rules. Don't forget to pick your toys up on your way out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	119876
Old 06 June 2017, 17:58   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Hmm, seems you have trouble with the reading as well as the writing. The £600 quoted was for TWO services, which had you read my post correctly, would have saved the embarrassing self shot to the foot. It would seem that the person manipulating the figures to suit his own argument ain't me. See below. I'm assuming you realised that my figures were for 2 services & then hastily changed your original post to suit, unluckily, not hasty enough.

This is now getting tedious & embarrassing so I'm invoking my own rules. Don't forget to pick your toys up on your way out.

Attachment 119876

PD you do have issues don't you, . I took out the persons name to save dragging him in to your little games and I thought he had got charged £325 .oo for a DF-140 service. after mentioning it to that member he corrected me and said it was £285.00 for a full service.
Pikey. Maybe you werent breastfed or something but Don't forget to pick your toys up on your way out thats if you can bend down ok?

PS, if you would to contact that member to clarify costing,of course that will be fine
Old 06 June 2017, 22:54   #33

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
I'd like to know where I can get my DF 140 serviced for £285 if you guys find out. It's a lot less than I paid a main dealer!
Old 07 June 2017, 08:20   #34

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksribster View Post
I'd like to know where I can get my DF 140 serviced for £285 if you guys find out. It's a lot less than I paid a main dealer!
AFAIK you can't, certainly not away from the South Coast & by a Suzuki agent. The service kits can be had online for about £130, main dealers charge considerably more. Then you have engine & gear oil + labour. I paid £357 for my service in May at a main agent. Whilst ever it's in warranty, they've got you.

Just for comparison, my last boat had twin 115 Etecs, it used to cost me around £550 for the pair servicing. I owned the boat for 8 years & had the engines serviced twice.
Old 07 June 2017, 08:24   #35

Length: 7m +
I have a yamaha 200hpdi, seems reliable, only smokes a tad on first start up for about a minute then calms down. Serviced yearly, doesn't like pottering about round the islands of poole harbour for too long at 6knots as it can soot up a cylinder after too many trips like that.

Apart from that very happy with it, fuel consumption not great but not worth changing it yet.
Old 07 June 2017, 08:26   #36

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I have a yamaha 200hpdi, seems reliable, only smokes a tad on first start up for about a minute then calms down. Serviced yearly, doesn't like pottering about round the islands of poole harbour for too long at 6knots as it can soot up a cylinder after too many trips like that.

Apart from that very happy with it, fuel consumption not great but not worth changing it yet.
Have you tried a synthetic 2 stroke oil? Very little soot & carbon which is a 2 stroke killer. I used to use XD100.
Old 07 June 2017, 17:17   #37

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Have you tried a synthetic 2 stroke oil? Very little soot & carbon which is a 2 stroke killer. I used to use XD100.
You can also put Evinrude carbon guard in your fuel which keeps the soot down as well