Old 05 February 2007, 08:51   #1

Town: Co Clare
Length: 4m +
BF90 Honda / SR5.4

Hi

Can anybody tell me if a Honda BF90 on a Searider 5.4 with A frame will be too heavy ? .I also propose to put a 5/6 hp aux on it as well adding even more weight. Anybody have this set up already ? . Any comments ?.

Thanks

Tim
Old 05 February 2007, 10:52   #2

Town: Breda
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 250 DI
Had a Wiking 4,80m RIB with a Honda 90ps. De balans was quite good as you can see on the picture, with the steering in front. Had three rows of benches en with 4 people in the boat it wasn't that easy to get her in plané.
The Honda, beeing not that good an accelerator, wasn't ideal. But a very good engine and reached a top of 65km/hr with 4 adults.
In fact the engine was to heavy, especially with the auxhiliary included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adv_wiking.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	24682   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	24683  
Old 06 February 2007, 01:41   #3

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Per the Avon specs I have, max engine weight is 175 kg for the 5.4mR. The Honda weighs in at 163 kg. How much is the auxiliary? For comparison, the lightest 90 hp I could find was the Tohatsu TLDI 90 at 143 kg. The second lightest I could find was the Evinrude E-TEC at 148 kg.

It doesn't take much to put waves over the transom of a Searider while drifting, which I do a fair amount of. Therefore, lighter weight was an consideration in my repower decision. I probably put 50-60 hours on my new E-TEC over two weeks of heavy use and I'm happy with my decision. Evinrude won my cash because I travel (trailer) widely with my boat, and know that anywhere I go, I'll be able to find Evinrude service, if needed. Tohatsu/Nissan would be more difficult to find service for, if needed. The low maintenance requirements were the other big factor for me.

That Honda does look like a pretty sweet engine though -EFI, VTEC. Might have considered that, but it looks like it's just becoming available now. The previous carbed model wasn't at all appealing to me. I really am more of a two stroke fan personally. The new clean burn 2 stroke are a simpler, more elegant engineering solution, IMHO.

Good luck with your decision, it's hard to make a mistake with any modern engine. They're all pretty darned good!