RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
To be fair on your abilities, this is a problem that unless you've got a full workshop and more knowledge than you profess, you really should take to a (different) dealer.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2014, 04:17   #12

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Nos,

If it is just an idle mix problem all he needs is a screwdriver and a stretch of water to run the boat!

2004 BF90A4 JHTA Honda Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts

I think the idle jet is item 5 on that one.

What I can't tell is whether a CW turn is open or close. If it were me, I'd go CCW first, but that may be wrong.

As you don't sound like you are 100% certain, I'll puit this in basic steps. Apologies if I'm telling you old news.

- Do the "chok blip" test. Assuming it doesn't continue to stall and/ or throws you off the back of the seat when you do that test:

- take a digi pic or note of the screws' positions (so you can put them back in the same place if it doesn't work) and rememebr how far you have turned the screws so you can put it back.
- turn each of them 1/8 turn CCW. (1 per carb)
- test it.
--If it totally stalls or doesn't even start, turn the screws back to where you started, then turn them 1/8 turn CW & test again.
-- if it works, put the lid back on.

- if it seems to work a bit better, but still not brilliant (whichever way you end up turning the screws) , repeat with another 1/8 of a turn & continue to do so 'till it stops stalling.

- if you then want to be really anal about it, you can then turn the screws back 1/16 turn at a time 'till it stalls or hesitates and keep adjusting to & fro until you get an optimal setting.

Hopefully that is clear enough. The only thing I would say is I don't know these carbs, so if yours looks nothing like the pic, or you (understanably) don't want to trust my guess as to screw 5, hopefully someone will be along soon who knows that engine better than I do and can confirm / correct my guess.

The setting process still stands even if it is another screw!

Old 27 August 2014, 04:30   #13

Town: Punta Kriza
Engine: Yamaha 100HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallydave View Post
It is a 2004 BF90A.

Thanks. I never got a manual when I purchased the boat S/H. Based on other posts I am considering getting a service manual and trying to learn a bit more. I a only feel qualified to 'add fuel' and 'take to dealer' at the moment.
The complete service manual will be available on this forum soon.
I was owner of an identical engine for less than 2 weeks and encountered so many problems I immediately bought the manual, then had the opportunity to return the whole rib to the previous owner.
By now I have a Yam F100DET with electronic injection....
Old 27 August 2014, 08:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDK1 View Post
The complete service manual will be available on this forum soon.
I'm not on the admin team, but be careful you don't breach any copyright rules!

Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years!

has a lot of info......
Old 27 August 2014, 09:09   #15

Copyright should apply to fiction only.
IMHO the customer who wants to service or repair a product should have unrestricted access to all relevant information.
Old 27 August 2014, 11:10   #16

I'm not so sure on that..... Copyright might not be the correct legal term, but posting someone's intellectual property without permission usually ends badly. Someone with more knowledge on the matter will no doubt chip in later...

I agree with your sentiment, but the OEM may have other opinions.

How many microwaves say "no user servicable parts inside"? Utter b*ll*cks, but it's safer all round doing that than finding lots of dead numpties fried by an HV capacator.
Old 27 August 2014, 12:34   #17

Town: Basingstoke
Boat name: Le Batto 2
Make: Zodiac Pro Open 550
Engine: 2004 Honda 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post

2004 BF90A4 JHTA Honda Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts

I think the idle jet is item 5 on that one.
Thanks soo much for all the info and time you have taken to find diagrams, etc. I really appreciate it. But the diagram itself puts me into a bit of a cold sweat.

In a previous trip to a service agent, I had the carbs 'balanced' (but not cleaned). I watched this and saw that he adjusted 3 screws (one cyl was 'base set' and did not have a screw). Not sure if this is the same thing or would have involved the mixture?

I looked at the documentation on boatinfo (not bad but poor copies) but could not see any specific reference to a mixture screw.

I get the whole point of take a note of current settings and return them if it doesn't work, and I am comfortable with this concept but unless it is 'bleeding obvious' where the mixture screw(s) are, I am probably erring on Nos' advice of take to someone who does.
Old 27 August 2014, 14:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post

How many microwaves say "no user servicable parts inside"? Utter b*ll*cks, but it's safer all round doing that than finding lots of dead numpties fried by an HV capacator.
A slight deviation from the topic, but one of my favorites!
The uWave innards are indeed not serviceable for the average user. But from a working one, the magnetron, capacitor, resistor and transformer plus a piece of aluminum tube of the right size you can turn into a silent, deadly weapon to kill annoying electronics like "ghetto blasters", cell phones and car radios in a recreational area. I've even used it to instantly obliterate weeds in my garden.
Old 27 August 2014, 15:44   #19

Town: San Francisco Bay
Boat name: SRMN 600
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 90
I had the same issue on my BF90. It ran excellent but would stall when given instant WOT. The tiny jets got clogged. Its a fairly common minor issue.
Old 27 August 2014, 15:47   #20

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDK1 View Post
A slight deviation from the topic, but one of my favorites!
The uWave innards are indeed not serviceable for the average user. But from a working one, the magnetron, capacitor, resistor and transformer plus a piece of aluminum tube of the right size you can turn into a silent, deadly weapon to kill annoying electronics like "ghetto blasters", cell phones and car radios in a recreational area. I've even used it to instantly obliterate weeds in my garden.
Ha! I've often thought about doing that!