Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 12 October 2016, 14:19   #41
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,463
Is the cable length critical on these or can they be extended?
__________________

__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 19:50   #42
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Notts J28 M1
Make: Excel Volante 390
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20AS
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Is the cable length critical on these or can they be extended?
Probably by a little but the wires are extremely fine you wouldn't get any heatshrink that small. Electrically the resistance, capacitance and voltage drop would effectively be the same.
__________________

__________________
Limecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2016, 05:32   #43
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Probably by a little but the wires are extremely fine you wouldn't get any heatshrink that small. Electrically the resistance, capacitance and voltage drop would effectively be the same.
How small? I've seen adhesive lined shrink that does <1mm after shrinking, surprised if the insulated wire is too small as it will be very vulnerable.

Tinytach say not to extend the red wire, but extend the coax: https://www.tinytach.com/faq

I guess it's not just a simple case of DC voltage is it? My simple brain explodes when we talk impedance rather than resistance, but if there is an issue I suspect that is where the problem lies. That said, given the rather crude "wrap it round a few times" approach I am surprised it matters.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2016, 12:08   #44
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Probably by a little but the wires are extremely fine you wouldn't get any heatshrink that small. Electrically the resistance, capacitance and voltage drop would effectively be the same.
For my application I would be talking 3.5 m sounds a no goer.
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 02:55   #45
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,241
Someone on PM mentioned my tach the other day so thought I'd just update. As posted above once I'd tested the boat and our load with my alternative props I had no need to see the revs under way so the tach has lived under the hood for the past year as an hour meter and been totally reliable.

At £20 or less it's worked out a good balance between the £55 proper Tiny Tach and the £7-50 cheapies which some have had fail very quickly.

Honda Lawnmower & Generator Digital Tachometer Tach & Hour Meter w/ RPM Recall | eBay
__________________
Fenlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 03:03   #46
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Someone on PM mentioned my tach the other day so thought I'd just update. As posted above once I'd tested the boat and our load with my alternative props I had no need to see the revs under way so the tach has lived under the hood for the past year as an hour meter and been totally reliable.

At £20 or less it's worked out a good balance between the £55 proper Tiny Tach and the £7-50 cheapies which some have had fail very quickly.

Honda Lawnmower & Generator Digital Tachometer Tach & Hour Meter w/ RPM Recall | eBay
I've had two cheapies - total cr@P that lasted one or two runs at most.
__________________
Max... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 05:47   #47
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,463
i did the same bought cheap as just needed it to sort the prop failed bought one same as fenlander works a treat and still external in the wet no probs
__________________

__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.