Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Best location for fuel/water filter?

Hello All

Thanks to all the great advice on here about installing a water filter, I now have one of the Delphi 269 filters to install
Single Fuel Filter Assembly Cav Glass Bowl 1/2"-20UNF | eBay
and would welcome your experiences on where best to mount it please on my Bombard 500.

At present four approximate locations come to mind, as shown on the attached picture:

2x locations on the transom
Outside of seat locker
Inside of seat locker

My thoughts so far are that while one does see filters on the transom, to me they are more exposed to the elements and likely to get knocked - but closest to the engine (if that matters?). On the outside of the seat locker, less likely to be knocked. On the inside of the seat locker, most protection from the elements, but does take up a bit of room, but I'd go for that if it was more reliable.

Also I'm still a bit wary of messing with transom, so advice on whether to screw in or bolt through welcomed, and as to the positioning.

Many thanks for your help

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel filter location reduced.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	68150  
Old 14 May 2012, 08:42   #2

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
Steve - I would say whichever position allows you to easily see if there is any water in the fuel (i.e. glass bowl in daylight) plus a reasonable position to unscrew the bottom drain to release any water - and for that reason I wouldn't personally put it next to your fuel tank in the seat locker.

Drilling the transom isn't difficult and the fuel filters aren't very heavy, so I have mounted both of mine using stainless screws (drill a pilot hole first, then injext some Sikaflex into the holes and put some on the thread of each screw).

I use that filter too and have found that a couple of coats of spray paint on the aluminium filter holder before mounting stop most of the corrosion when exposed to sea water (plus some silicone spray on both the filter screw and water drain screw).
Old 01 August 2012, 13:47   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Thanks for all your help - new setup with filter all works great now - good to have that reassurance when you only have one engine.

Best wishes

Steve