Old 28 July 2015, 09:01   #1

Best little 4hp?

Hi,

We have decided to get a zodiac 2.6m tender after making the mistake of getting rid of one a few years back. Getting a used one but I want to get a new engine as some people just batter smaller outboards. We had a johnson engine before, but obviously cant get a new one of them now!
Basically I need a reliable 4 stroke 4hp, around £750. Which ones best?!

Charlie
Old 28 July 2015, 09:18   #2

For a tender I'd get a mariner/merc/tohatsu 3.3 2 stroke, about half the weight of a 4 stroke and you will get change out of 400 for a good one.

Cheers
Old 28 July 2015, 11:39   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Ron hale marine i got a good deal there tohatsu 4 hp £699 new, merc 4 hp £745 same engine
Old 28 July 2015, 12:08   #4

Town: Bournemouth
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 25hp 2stroke
I had a 5hp Tohatsu on a 2.7 SIB and it was a fantastic little engine
Old 28 July 2015, 12:19   #5

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
Whats the dinghy rated to? I have a 3.3hp evinrude 2T (13kg) and a new Mercury 6hp 4T(28kg) for my 2.7m bombard.

If you are set on a new 4T & the boat is rated to 6hp its the same weight/engine as the 4 hp.

My 6hp Merc was about £850 from Barnet Marine a couple of months ago....but....my 3.3hp seems to be getting just as much use as the new 6hp. Its just so much lighter and portable.

Having to lay the 4T down in a particular manner to avoid it leaking oil all over the place is driving me mental too. I would have probably held out to find one of the last 5hp 2Ts looking back.
Old 28 July 2015, 16:01   #6

Its rated to 4hp, pretty sure im set on getting this value as probaly have a few people in it always. What are tohatsu outboards like as Ive never owned one? I had in mind suzuki or mercury
Old 28 July 2015, 17:35   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Tohatsu make the lower hp range of mercury engines last year they built their 3,000,000 engine never owned one but we had one at work used by divers so got plenty of abuse never missed a beat on my forth Suzuki love um had two yams good too to be honest nowt wrong with all the main makes.look on eBay if on a budget you could pick up a nearly new and save a few quid for me if keeping it go for the tohatsu new @ £ 699

Cheers
Old 28 July 2015, 21:56   #8

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
Mercury, Mariner and Tohatsu are essentially the same engines, all made by Tohatsu as Jeff said but I believe final assembly is in different factories. I had the choice of all 3 for the same price so went with Mercury as I think it will probably hold its money better than the Tohatsu or Mariner.
Worth seeing what you can get a 4hp Yammy for as I believe the new 4T yam is much less sensitive to how it is laid down re oil leaking etc compared to the Merchatsu.
Old 30 July 2015, 05:35   #9

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
I run a back friendly sib, I have tried a 6 hp Suzuki (too heavy and bulky) but nice motor if not having to carry, 6 hp mariner ( heavy, remote fuel tank takes up too much room), Honda 2.3 hp ( air cooled, easy to use, but not enough power)
Have now given up on 4 strokes at this size, and now run a tohatsu 5 hp 2 stroke which is perfect, super light weight with on board fuel tank, cheap as chips to service and on a flat day will just about plan a zodiac 3.1, keep your eyes out for a mint version and you won't be sorry, when I see a nice 9,8 tohatsu 2 stroke I will upgrade to that
Old 30 July 2015, 10:02   #10

Town: Bournemouth
Make: Avon
Engine: Merc 25hp 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhitchuk View Post
I run a back friendly sib, I have tried a 6 hp Suzuki (too heavy and bulky) but nice motor if not having to carry, 6 hp mariner ( heavy, remote fuel tank takes up too much room), Honda 2.3 hp ( air cooled, easy to use, but not enough power)
Have now given up on 4 strokes at this size, and now run a tohatsu 5 hp 2 stroke which is perfect, super light weight with on board fuel tank, cheap as chips to service and on a flat day will just about plan a zodiac 3.1, keep your eyes out for a mint version and you won't be sorry, when I see a nice 9,8 tohatsu 2 stroke I will upgrade to that
Hi Mick, hope that little Tohatsu is running well I kinda regret selling it now!
Old 30 July 2015, 16:20   #11

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Hi Matt
Yup it's going great guns the tell tale pumps like a power shower, if you have 9.8hp let me know

Sorry for going off topic