Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 28 September 2010, 17:59   #41
DM
RIBnet supporter
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I agree, but you didn't mention that initially, you highlighted the top end performance difference
I didn't highlight anything. I pointed out, that of two identical boats, the one with twins had a better top speed which goes against the accepted theory that a single of similar HP would be faster because of less drag.
__________________
DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2010, 18:02   #42
DM
RIBnet supporter
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I quite fancy owning an SR5.1
We need a 'how long is your searider' thread.

Somethings not right
__________________
DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2010, 18:03   #43
Member
 
colcreate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 347
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I'd say around 600 - 700 each. Would suit an SR4 nicely and there's always guys resurrecting them.

The market for selling them as a pair would be limited.
Having seen the cr*ppy engines some people pay 700ish for without controls etc I think the condition of these would get nearer 800 they really are that good. IMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engines mint.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	54538  
__________________
colcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2010, 18:08   #44
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcreate View Post
Having seen the cr*ppy engines some people pay 700ish for without controls etc I think the condition of these would get nearer 800 they really are that good. IMHO
Give them a try on B&O or e-bay then.

They're 20ish years old, but look tidy enough, so you could get lucky.
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2010, 18:11   #45
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,594
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM View Post
I didn't highlight anything. I pointed out, that of two identical boats, the one with twins had a better top speed which goes against the accepted theory that a single of similar HP would be faster because of less drag.
er, but you weren't, you compared a 100 to 2x60 which if my schoolboy maths serves me correctly is 120hp. If you'd said 2x50 hp (100hp) was faster then you'd have had a better case. Without knowing the gearbox ratios, prop pitches & WOTs then the comparison is meaningless. By overpropping the twins & underpropping the single you could make the figures say anything you like. That's why the other factors (planing speed, holeshot etc) are important to get a useful comparison.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2010, 18:18   #46
TMB
Member
 
TMB's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Weymouth
Boat name: Amelia
Make: Atlantic 21,3x SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x75,2x40,90hp
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcreate View Post
Wow, can't keep up with the responses to this one... need more beer!
Hmmm, really liked the idea of twins has anybody actually had any first hand experience with this set up? What if they were PTT would that sway opinion?

Obviously a single 90hp will thrash twin 40's but by how much.
Weight:
2 x 40 = 270lbs
1 x 90 = 260lbs but add on a 6hp backup??

Selva's, yes I like them but a lot don't which makes them silly cheap 2nd hand so I keep my eye out for them and pick them up for little money (think I have enough now though). I believe Yamaha have owned a minority share in Selva for years (four stroke Selva's are rebadged Yamaha).

Perhaps I need to buy another SR5.4's to compare.
Then I can have one with one with twin 40's to carry all the spares for the other Selva powered one!

How about this 90hp Yamaha on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=170546379621 & video here:
150 delivery from Lithuania is it worth the risk?

I have twin 40hp yammys on one of my seariders. Check my website gallery for pics. You will get 32knts tops, but they are great for redundancy. The boat will get 20 knts on one engine. The boat is maxed out with twin 40's (weight) I had 40kg gell coated into the front of the craft as it chine walked really bad. Great set up though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15706_417812656056_183806606056_5013879_4552367_n.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	54539   Click image for larger version

Name:	two seariders.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	54540  
__________________
www.taylormadeboating.co.uk
training tailor made for all your needs
TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2010, 18:27   #47
DM
RIBnet supporter
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
er, but you weren't
Yes, I was
__________________
DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2010, 18:37   #48
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
er, but you weren't, you compared a 100 to 2x60 which if my schoolboy maths serves me correctly is 120hp. If you'd said 2x50 hp (100hp) was faster then you'd have had a better case. Without knowing the gearbox ratios, prop pitches & WOTs then the comparison is meaningless. By overpropping the twins & underpropping the single you could make the figures say anything you like. That's why the other factors (planing speed, holeshot etc) are important to get a useful comparison.
Yup, you could fit twins and only run one, that would really f*ck with your figures!
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2010, 18:38   #49
Member
 
colcreate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 347
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB View Post
I have twin 40hp yammys on one of my seariders. Check my website gallery for pics. You will get 32knts tops, but they are great for redundancy. The boat will get 20 knts on one engine. The boat is maxed out with twin 40's (weight) I had 40kg gell coated into the front of the craft as it chine walked really bad. Great set up though.
I like it, and your website gallery is great.
30+knots is probably good enough for me. Chine walk is bad though I thought twins would improve stability. Does a 80/90hp single chine walk as bad, I hear 38 knots is possible?
__________________
colcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2010, 18:49   #50
TMB
Member
 
TMB's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Weymouth
Boat name: Amelia
Make: Atlantic 21,3x SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x75,2x40,90hp
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcreate View Post
I like it, and your website gallery is great.
30+knots is probably good enough for me. Chine walk is bad though I thought twins would improve stability. Does a 80/90hp single chine walk as bad, I hear 38 knots is possible?
Never had an issue with chime walking with my singles. I have one with a yammy 80 and one with yammy 90. They are pretty stable boats with singles as long as they are set up well. Once again it also depends on the prop you are opperating. SS or standard fit makes a difference. My boat did not enjoy the 18 pitch ss one I put on her lately. I think I have just sold my 2004 tohatsu 90. Shame, its sat on a good boat and they are good engines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4774.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	54541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4779.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	54542   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4782.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	54543   Click image for larger version

Name:	22092010125.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	54544   Click image for larger version

Name:	22092010123.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	54545  

__________________

__________________
www.taylormadeboating.co.uk
training tailor made for all your needs
TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.