Old 12 July 2011, 21:56   #1

Town: Glasgow
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Best courier for outboards

Can anyone recommend a courier to ship a small outboard (36 kg) from Aberdeen to Chester?, and then ship another one back to Aberdeen.

Cheers....
Old 12 July 2011, 22:13   #2

Town: Plymouth
Interparcel

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 12 July 2011, 22:39   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Speedshift.co.uk

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2011, 05:25   #4

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Speedshift.co.uk
They have carried a couple of Outboards for us as well as all sorts else......highly recommended.

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2011, 22:07   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Interparcel

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Interparcel - you must be joking! Their office (aka warehouse complex) is located near Heathrow. I made the mistake of entering credit-card details online as I needed an auxilliary outboard uplifted in Essex. The website isn't encrypted regards payment as far as I can determine. They're not even a courier company - more a middleman for other couriers such as Citylink who tender for work. Do a search online and you'll see that they have a lot of unhappy customers.

Luckily my payment didn't go through online so I counted that as a blessing. Although I queued on the phone for 25 minutes to confirm no payment had been made. Their parcel insurance has so many clauses - that it's not worth paying for.

Go with Parcel Force (I used it for the auxilliary outboard up to 23kg) and if things do go wrong at least you'll have some recourse. Make sure it's well padded and always contain in a box. Once your outboard weight gets to 40kg+ then secure to a pallet and use a courier that can uplift using a tail-lift, etc.
Old 14 July 2011, 09:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus

Interparcel - you must be joking! Their office (aka warehouse complex) is located near Heathrow. I made the mistake of entering credit-card details online as I needed an auxilliary outboard uplifted in Essex. The website isn't encrypted regards payment as far as I can determine. They're not even a courier company - more a middleman for other couriers such as Citylink who tender for work. Do a search online and you'll see that they have a lot of unhappy customers.

Luckily my payment didn't go through online so I counted that as a blessing. Although I queued on the phone for 25 minutes to confirm no payment had been made. Their parcel insurance has so many clauses - that it's not worth paying for.

Go with Parcel Force (I used it for the auxilliary outboard up to 23kg) and if things do go wrong at least you'll have some recourse. Make sure it's well padded and always contain in a box. Once your outboard weight gets to 40kg+ then secure to a pallet and use a courier that can uplift using a tail-lift, etc.
I've never had any reason to complain with them and I pay via Paypal so if there's a problem....

I used P/F once and the motor got damaged, they don't now cover you if you try to make a claim for a motor getting damaged. They will of course take your insurance cover payment though and it's over £40 for deliveries.

A lot of people say use speedshift but for pallets they are no cheaper than my current supplier which is "online pallet", who again tender it out making it cheaper. Normally £56 +VAT next day and they also do quarter pallets which the others don't!

Each to their own I guess. I don't do many hand courier deliveries now and I've not used inter parcel for a long time. The last time it cost me £7.35 to get a 28kg motor from Plymouth to Cumbria via TNT.

Old 14 July 2011, 11:53   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Interparcel - you must be joking! Their office (aka warehouse complex) is located near Heathrow.
why is that relevant? Although I think you'll find it is closer to Gatwick!
Quote:
I made the mistake of entering credit-card details online as I needed an auxilliary outboard uplifted in Essex. The website isn't encrypted regards payment as far as I can determine.
I can't confirm one way or the other although there doesn't seem anything unusual about their credit card processing to me and the site does use https for payments (I use them several times a week, but don't use a credit card).
Quote:
They're not even a courier company - more a middleman for other couriers such as Citylink who tender for work.
That's right just like Parcel2go and others who act as a "broker" for you passing on bulk savings (far cheaper than a one off box booked with a courier).
Quote:
Do a search online and you'll see that they have a lot of unhappy customers.
maybe but they have a lot of happy customers too. If you look at where most problems occur it is actually with the courier not the "agent". This is true of all these middlemen, and when you book direct - the difference is how they respond to a problem when it happens. In my experience Interparcel are pretty helpful (more helpful than when I dealt direct with couriers) and know the systems well enough to sort stuff out.

Quote:
Although I queued on the phone for 25 minutes to confirm no payment had been made.
Yes like all call centres it can be difficult to get through at peak times (although their website does provide alternative ways to contact them - which work! - as well as an indication on the website how busy they are before you even call). Longest I've waited in the last couple of months has been 10 minutes. UK call centre too which is better than some of the big name couriers.

Interparcel are not perfect - but in my experience they are the best of the bunch (and I've tried them all over the last 5 years!).
Quote:
Their parcel insurance has so many clauses - that it's not worth paying for.
possibly - we have an annual goods in transit policy because all the couriers sell overpriced insurance, which is difficult to claim through.
Quote:
Go with Parcel Force (I used it for the auxilliary outboard up to 23kg) and if things do go wrong at least you'll have some recourse.
Why are parcelforce going to be any better than anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards
A lot of people say use speedshift but for pallets they are no cheaper than my current supplier which is "online pallet", who again tender it out making it cheaper.
The reason many people here recommend Speedshift is it was set up by previous prolific Ribnetter "Codprawn". This does mean if you have any issues you can ring them up, ask for Vince, mention Ribnet and you will get someone who will do his best to sort it out (not that I had any issues the one time I used them - we are mostly packages not pallets). As you say they are all much of a muchness - but keeping it "in the family" does mean there is a little extra personal service if needed.
Old 14 July 2011, 12:26   #8

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Interparcel

worked for me when i bought a motor from Peter.....on time, nice driver etc and carefull with the engine (which is great!).

pete
Old 15 July 2011, 12:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM

worked for me when i bought a motor from Peter.....on time, nice driver etc and carefull with the engine (which is great!).

pete
Glad your happy and agree they seem good to deal with. Enjoy!!

Old 15 July 2011, 12:06   #10

The reason many people here recommend Speedshift is it was set up by previous prolific Ribnetter "Codprawn". This does mean if you have any issues you can ring them up, ask for Vince, mention Ribnet and you will get someone who will do his best to sort it out (not that I had any issues the one time I used them - we are mostly packages not pallets). As you say they are all much of a muchness - but keeping it "in the family" does mean there is a little extra personal service if needed.[/QUOTE]

I never knew that but I agree it's good to keep it within the "family" where possible. Now I know, I will look into using them in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

If you google any courier you will find many unhappy customers, such is life I guess we only like to moan about poor service and not many people actually take the time to praise or thank the good ones out there!

I hardly ever get a courtesy email/call thanking me for good service or even to say the pallet has arrived safely. That's the British for you! (PETE M excluded).

Old 15 July 2011, 13:21   #11

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
I only ever use Interparcel, they've served me well for quite a few years now, including shipments to India, NZ and Australia without a hitch, and you get to pay with paypal !!!
Old 16 July 2011, 17:20   #12

SODS LAW

After singing their praises and not having any reason to complain for the last 3 years and over 150 pallets being delivered/collected the day I post on here is the day one gets damaged. Thankfully only very minor and have settled directly with the customer to get it repaired. No point putting a claim in for it.

One of 2 pallets collected on the same day. Luckily the other was unaffected as it went to a fellow Ribnetter!

Speedshift here I come!!

Old 16 July 2011, 18:14   #13

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
like everthing theres good and bad in all companies ,think it all depends on the people who throw your outboard around the depot and on the van the bigger they are ithe further they throws it :-)
Old 15 October 2012, 14:41   #14

Length: 5m +
Avoid speedshift

I had the misfortune of have used SPEEDSHIFT LTD and regret wasting my time on the phone, sanity and money! very unprofessional they never call you back when they say they would. Vincent apparently the manager of this company is very rude. I got a quote on their web site and ordered a collection, after I spoke to him to check what was happening he told me that I did not pay them enough! Its been 2 weeks since a paid, they've managed to collect but still no parcel to be seen.
Old 28 November 2012, 13:52   #15

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Interesting to see that this Italian has joined this site just to post this!!!

Firstly he lied about the size of the pallet - then he refused to help us with paperwork as it is coming out of Jersey which is NOT part of the EU.

Then he phones up and starts being really abusive to my staff. I left a message on his answerphone asking him to call us so we can try and resolve this matter - he still hasn't got back to us!!!

Starting to wonder why we bother............
Old 28 November 2012, 17:14   #16

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Codders your Back!!

Nice to see that old boy. hope all is good..!

cheers Matt
Old 28 November 2012, 17:14   #17

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
^^ sorry to hear that Codders ... maybe just a bit of PMT Hows it hangin' anyway fella ?
Old 28 November 2012, 17:17   #18

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Engine: 250
Codders!!!
Old 28 November 2012, 18:40   #19

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino89 View Post
like everthing theres good and bad in all companies ,think it all depends on the people who throw your outboard around the depot and on the van the bigger they are ithe further they throws it :-)
well used speed shift for maybee 7 outboards this year all been ok, but maybee that down to my local agent tag transport, that tried offer me 3 pallets when all i want was one !
looked inside pallets and there was mix up phone the sender and they told me it was 10 k parts !
Old 11 December 2012, 19:44   #20

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Thanks everyone. Got to be honest running this business is hell. Don't think I have a thick enough skin!!!
Of course time of year doesn't help - nor moving house at the same time. hope all the regulars are doing well.