Old 21 September 2006, 08:38   #1

Town: quimper
Boat name: kai 2
Make: capelli
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 100
Best 4 to 6hp Auxiliary?

Looking for an auxiliary engine for the RIB which I can also use as an engine for a small wooden fishing boat.
I guess there isn't a big difference between engines at this size and prices seem to be around 1000 to 1700 Euros, (big jump up from 4 to 6hp).

I'm looking at the Yamaha 4hp and the Honda 5hp (both 4 strokes - prefer that).

Any feedback on these engines?

Thanks
Old 21 September 2006, 09:25   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Don't know about the two you mention but I went through the "which aux" thought process recently and settled on a Suzuki DF6 which then became a Johnson 6hp (same engine both made by Suzuki) due to the Zook being unavailable at the time of ordering.

Reasons why:

1. the dealer I got it from quoted a good export price relative to the prices I'd seen on the web and it was right at the bottom of the price range you quoted though that was ex VAT as it was being exported

2. the 4, 5 and 6hp Johnzuki engines are actually the same engine with a different carb so the 6 is the same size & weight as the 4 (26kg I think)

3. I wanted something Japanese with boring reliability that will start on the first pull when required, and if its been running the same day it will start on the first pull every time. From my limited experience if it has not been run for a week or so it seems to need about half a dozen pulls which is still pretty good

4. it has an internal tank and a feed for an external tank

5. I wanted a 4 stroke so I didn't have to mess around with stale 2 stroke fuel when the main fan stops and could just use fuel out of my cans for the main engine if required

If I did it again I'd probably wait for the Zook as its black so easier to keep clean but apart from that I'm pleased with it

Info on it here and here

This may not of course be the right choice, and it may not be the best engine, but it seemed like the right one for me and ticked all the boxes for my needs so worth a look

HTH
Old 06 October 2006, 12:03   #3

Town: Dun Laoghaire
Boat name: Ruby
Make: Valiant 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernithebiker
I'm looking at the Yamaha 4hp and the Honda 5hp (both 4 strokes - prefer that).
Why 4-stroke? I've got a 60hp four-stroke as my main power, but decided to go with a yamaha 4hp 2-stroke as auxiliary because:
1) it's lighter on the transom
2) being a simpler beast, it's more likely not to mind long periods of inaction

(As it has a separate fuel supply in case the main one gets contaminated, it doesn't matter if the aux tank is premix).
Old 06 October 2006, 12:38   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I agree - a lot depends on how it will be used - the way most people tend to use their aux they would be better off with a 2 stroke. Have a look at the Tohatsus - great engines. As they are about to ban old style 2 strokes you may find some real bargains!!!
Old 06 October 2006, 13:39   #5
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
The Yamaha 4HP 4-stroke doesn't like being put down on it's side either. You can only lay it down one way, and even then it doesn't like it - so if you go round a corner too quickly it will slop engine oil into the cylinder, requiring a bit of mechanical 'first aid' to get the bugger running again.

If you do get one of these, always store it upright, and transport it lying down as rarely (and for as little time) as you can.

D...