Old 01 September 2008, 16:57   #31

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by waverunner View Post
Have you tried installing a portable fuel tank with a primer bulb and hose directly to your engine, this way you bypass your existing fuel setup. If you still have problems you then need to look at your engine for a fault.
Used 60 litres on Sunday, that's a big tank for a trial, but I see where you're comming from.

Now I know what to do if I get the problem again it's not such a worry. I will change the Primer bulb for next weekend and see how I get on.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2008, 17:47   #32

Town: Rigaud, Que.
Boat name: Rigaud Explorer
Make: 6m Bombard
Engine: Yam115
@Hightower:

I got success finally myself from stripping down from the tank on and the last 2 days with 80 litres burnt & 60 miles so far I have an engine that starts and performs as a new one. Got almost a steady 55 plus mph with no troubles so it's worth the trouble to take the time to clean up, rebuild and or replace parts.

Old 01 September 2008, 19:52   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
@Hightower:

I got success finally myself from stripping down from the tank on and the last 2 days with 80 litres burnt & 60 miles so far I have an engine that starts and performs as a new one. Got almost a steady 55 plus mph with no troubles so it's worth the trouble to take the time to clean up, rebuild and or replace parts.
Yes, I am trying to systematically to eliminate areas and to change the configuration of the hoses etc to find a solution that works. As the bulb is high on the list as a failier Items, this will be swapped over before the next voyage, then in the mean time a fitting will be ordered to fit the other gland on the fuel tank and a stainless pick up tube will be fitted. If this still doesn't work, then the filter will be replaced for one that doesn't have a clear water seperator bowl at the bottom. I'm still convinced that air is entering the system from somewhere.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 01 September 2008, 20:13   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Yes, I am trying to systematically to eliminate areas and to change the configuration of the hoses etc to find a solution that works. As the bulb is high on the list as a failier Items, this will be swapped over before the next voyage, then in the mean time a fitting will be ordered to fit the other gland on the fuel tank and a stainless pick up tube will be fitted. If this still doesn't work, then the filter will be replaced for one that doesn't have a clear water seperator bowl at the bottom. I'm still convinced that air is entering the system from somewhere.
My main problem this last time was my fuel filter which had a hairline crack in it but did not ever show any sign of leaking. I only found it because while still under pressure I moved the fuel line & filter, squirt, squirt came a thin stream of fuel. Replaced it along with a few lines and all seemed good. I simpatize with you because I know what it feels like to have a constant small anoying problem. It got bad on my return last weekend from a day long run with the family and limped back to the Marina.

Now since yesterday all is good for me and I wish you the same as soon as possible.

Cheers
John
Old 01 September 2008, 20:18   #35

Thanks for your kind words John.

My whole system is has less than 45 hrs on and less than a year old, so you'd expect not to find any equipement reliablility problems, but I'll keep you informed.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 02 September 2008, 05:47   #36

45hrs? Wow, I agree that you shouldn't have any issues since that's concidered still new.
Old 19 October 2008, 11:23   #37

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Engine: 100
Hightower have you got to the bottom of this!

Long story on my fuel problem was solved by changing primer bulb.

I then dissected the bulb and found one of the non return ball (inlet side) was sticking shut preventing the flow from tank to engine, causing the bulb to collapse and stay collapsed. Eventually the engine suction dissipated and the bulb would return to shape and would work again for a few days. Caused, I think by over tightening of jubilee clip, distorting plastic tube, hence ball getting stuck.

In your case the bulb goes soft with the engine running, perhaps the ball (inlet side) will not close when bulb squeezed, thereby you are pushing fuel back down to your tank. (Five quick squeezes of the bulb would beat the engine draw and the bulb should be firm!)

What causes your engine to stall at low revs!!!!!!!!!! Could it be the non return ball (outlet side) is sticking shut when engine is not pulling for fuel at its strongest point ie low revs. This may have been caused by over tightening of jubilee clip outlet side.

Starting to confuse myself now, but having dissected a bulb, it gives you a clearer understanding of how they work and what gives the most grief. I'm sure sticky residue in fuel and distorted orientation of bulbs cause many combinations of 'sticking balls'
Old 19 October 2008, 17:00   #38

Well I'm not sure if the problem is solved really, but I did replace the primer bulb with a quicksilver one. I also changed the position of the primer to between the filter and engine. I have also changed my starting proceedure to a few quick squeezes on the primer and haven't had a repeat of the problem since. I also have a new pickup tube at the ready, but haven't fitted it yet (thanks to Roy).

So fingers crossed.

Glad you got your's sorted.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 03 January 2009, 15:10   #39

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Tempo Primer Bulbs

I just fitted a tempo primer bulb to day (new out of the bag) it would not work. I also had a OMC bulb worked perfect after I dumped the new tempo one

let this be a warning. If you are keeping a spare bulb on board pray that it is not a tempo or if it is pray that you never need it.

And before you ask it was plumbed up in the correct direction

TSM
Old 03 January 2009, 22:08   #40

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
I just fitted a tempo primer bulb to day (new out of the bag) it would not work.
The first (and last) Tempo bulb I bought wouldn't even pump air, much less fuel. Connectors at both ends of the fuel line required alteration to work acceptably (which is not to say well), despite being listed as a direct replacement.

No more Tempo fuel line components for me.

jky