Old 13 May 2012, 21:07   #1

Town: Exeter
Make: Avon Searider 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 4-stroke
Baystar and Mariner 60 fitting problem

Guys - I've just fitted a Baystar kit (front-mount type, not the older side-mount type cylinder) to a Mariner 60 4-stroke EFI (2007 model) on my SR4.7. The problem is that the bolt that attaches the outboard to the Baystar cylinder catches on the cylinder a bit when the outboard is centred (doesn't touch when help is off-centre by turning steering wheel so outboard turned to port or starboard). The steering kit does 'work' however the steering snags slightly when outboard is centred currently, and apart from the slight snagging I'm also concerned the bolt may over time wear a hole into the side of the cylinder.

The photo attached shows the steering turned hard to one side so the bolt isn't snagging, however you can see a hole in the middle of the warning sticker where the bolt has been catching on the cylinder when steering is centred.

I tried fitting the bolt and nut in reverse (nut on the top of the unit), but the head of the bolt still snagged a bit on the cylinder. My other thought is to put a washer or 2x at the top under the bolt-head, to remove the tail of the bolt from catching on the cylinder, but he nut may well catch then.

I've checked the Baystar site and it doesn't list a Mariner 60 as 'compatible' (just Mariner 75-150). Has anyone else fitted a Baystar kit to a Mariner 60 4-stroke outboard?? Any suggestions would be really appreciated, as need to get this sorted before getting my boat back out on the water!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	68163  
Old 13 May 2012, 21:38   #2

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Guys - I've just fitted a Baystar kit (front-mount type, not the older side-mount type cylinder) to a Mariner 60 4-stroke EFI (2007 model) on my SR4.7. The problem is that the bolt that attaches the outboard to the Baystar cylinder catches on the cylinder a bit when the outboard is centred (doesn't touch when help is off-centre by turning steering wheel so outboard turned to port or starboard). The steering kit does 'work' however the steering snags slightly when outboard is centred currently, and apart from the slight snagging I'm also concerned the bolt may over time wear a hole into the side of the cylinder.

The photo attached shows the steering turned hard to one side so the bolt isn't snagging, however you can see a hole in the middle of the warning sticker where the bolt has been catching on the cylinder when steering is centred.

I tried fitting the bolt and nut in reverse (nut on the top of the unit), but the head of the bolt still snagged a bit on the cylinder. My other thought is to put a washer or 2x at the top under the bolt-head, to remove the tail of the bolt from catching on the cylinder, but he nut may well catch then.

I've checked the Baystar site and it doesn't list a Mariner 60 as 'compatible' (just Mariner 75-150). Has anyone else fitted a Baystar kit to a Mariner 60 4-stroke outboard?? Any suggestions would be really appreciated, as need to get this sorted before getting my boat back out on the water!
Hi Hamish few pic's here that might help you a spacer is required
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0549.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	68167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0550.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	68168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	68169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	68170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	68171  

Old 13 May 2012, 21:46   #3

Great - many thanks. Is that a Baystar or Seastar manual out of interest, as on the Teleflex site they don't list my engine as compatible, but it explicitly lists it in the manual you've got? Cheers.
Old 13 May 2012, 21:51   #4

RIBase
Hi hamish, you need to fit the baystar bracket under the tilt arm & not on top
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	68172  
Old 13 May 2012, 21:55   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Great - many thanks. Is that a Baystar or Seastar manual out of interest, as on the Teleflex site they don't list my engine as compatible, but it explicitly lists it in the manual you've got? Cheers.
yep, i fitted the same on my etec this yr it as all the info for fitting all engines hope you get it sorted
Old 13 May 2012, 21:56   #6

Well spotted - cheers - I'll give that a go and see if it solves he issue. Looking at the picture, looks like it may well do. Bit annoying the marine engineer who fitted the engine and steering left it like this! Hadd - cheers mate - most appreciated.
Old 13 May 2012, 22:00   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Well spotted - cheers - I'll give that a go and see if it solves he issue. Looking at the picture, looks like it may well do. Bit annoying the marine engineer who fitted the engine and steering left it like this! Hadd - cheers mate - most appreciated.
No probs
Old 14 May 2012, 15:42   #8

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Turning the nut/bolt upside-down from where it is (i.e. run the bolt up through the parts, rather than down) should fix it as well, as long as it doesn't catch on anything else.

jky
Old 14 May 2012, 16:41   #9

I tried that - the bolt head caught on the cylinder that way round. I'll try putting the outboard bit below the Baystar bit, and invert the bolt/nut - see how it goes, and let you know.

Cheers.
Old 15 May 2012, 22:12   #10

Hi Hadd all sorted - i swapping the bracket order over as suggested and it fixed it ;- ). Thanks again!!
Old 16 May 2012, 00:34   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Hi Hadd all sorted - i swapping the bracket order over as suggested and it fixed it ;- ). Thanks again!!