Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 May 2012, 17:07   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Exeter
Make: Avon Searider 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 4-stroke
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 74
Baystar and Mariner 60 fitting problem

Guys - I've just fitted a Baystar kit (front-mount type, not the older side-mount type cylinder) to a Mariner 60 4-stroke EFI (2007 model) on my SR4.7. The problem is that the bolt that attaches the outboard to the Baystar cylinder catches on the cylinder a bit when the outboard is centred (doesn't touch when help is off-centre by turning steering wheel so outboard turned to port or starboard). The steering kit does 'work' however the steering snags slightly when outboard is centred currently, and apart from the slight snagging I'm also concerned the bolt may over time wear a hole into the side of the cylinder.

The photo attached shows the steering turned hard to one side so the bolt isn't snagging, however you can see a hole in the middle of the warning sticker where the bolt has been catching on the cylinder when steering is centred.

I tried fitting the bolt and nut in reverse (nut on the top of the unit), but the head of the bolt still snagged a bit on the cylinder. My other thought is to put a washer or 2x at the top under the bolt-head, to remove the tail of the bolt from catching on the cylinder, but he nut may well catch then.

I've checked the Baystar site and it doesn't list a Mariner 60 as 'compatible' (just Mariner 75-150). Has anyone else fitted a Baystar kit to a Mariner 60 4-stroke outboard?? Any suggestions would be really appreciated, as need to get this sorted before getting my boat back out on the water!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	68163  
__________________

__________________
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2012, 17:38   #2
Member
 
hadd's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,388
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Guys - I've just fitted a Baystar kit (front-mount type, not the older side-mount type cylinder) to a Mariner 60 4-stroke EFI (2007 model) on my SR4.7. The problem is that the bolt that attaches the outboard to the Baystar cylinder catches on the cylinder a bit when the outboard is centred (doesn't touch when help is off-centre by turning steering wheel so outboard turned to port or starboard). The steering kit does 'work' however the steering snags slightly when outboard is centred currently, and apart from the slight snagging I'm also concerned the bolt may over time wear a hole into the side of the cylinder.

The photo attached shows the steering turned hard to one side so the bolt isn't snagging, however you can see a hole in the middle of the warning sticker where the bolt has been catching on the cylinder when steering is centred.

I tried fitting the bolt and nut in reverse (nut on the top of the unit), but the head of the bolt still snagged a bit on the cylinder. My other thought is to put a washer or 2x at the top under the bolt-head, to remove the tail of the bolt from catching on the cylinder, but he nut may well catch then.

I've checked the Baystar site and it doesn't list a Mariner 60 as 'compatible' (just Mariner 75-150). Has anyone else fitted a Baystar kit to a Mariner 60 4-stroke outboard?? Any suggestions would be really appreciated, as need to get this sorted before getting my boat back out on the water!
Hi Hamish few pic's here that might help you a spacer is required
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	68167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0550.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	68168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	68169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	68170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	68171  

__________________

__________________
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2012, 17:46   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Exeter
Make: Avon Searider 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 4-stroke
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 74
Great - many thanks. Is that a Baystar or Seastar manual out of interest, as on the Teleflex site they don't list my engine as compatible, but it explicitly lists it in the manual you've got? Cheers.
__________________
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2012, 17:51   #4
Member
 
hadd's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,388
RIBase
Hi hamish, you need to fit the baystar bracket under the tilt arm & not on top
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	68172  
__________________
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2012, 17:55   #5
Member
 
hadd's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,388
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Great - many thanks. Is that a Baystar or Seastar manual out of interest, as on the Teleflex site they don't list my engine as compatible, but it explicitly lists it in the manual you've got? Cheers.
yep, i fitted the same on my etec this yr it as all the info for fitting all engines hope you get it sorted
__________________
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2012, 17:56   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Exeter
Make: Avon Searider 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 4-stroke
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 74
Well spotted - cheers - I'll give that a go and see if it solves he issue. Looking at the picture, looks like it may well do. Bit annoying the marine engineer who fitted the engine and steering left it like this! Hadd - cheers mate - most appreciated.
__________________
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2012, 18:00   #7
Member
 
hadd's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,388
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Well spotted - cheers - I'll give that a go and see if it solves he issue. Looking at the picture, looks like it may well do. Bit annoying the marine engineer who fitted the engine and steering left it like this! Hadd - cheers mate - most appreciated.
No probs
__________________
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2012, 11:42   #8
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Turning the nut/bolt upside-down from where it is (i.e. run the bolt up through the parts, rather than down) should fix it as well, as long as it doesn't catch on anything else.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2012, 12:41   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Exeter
Make: Avon Searider 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 4-stroke
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 74
I tried that - the bolt head caught on the cylinder that way round. I'll try putting the outboard bit below the Baystar bit, and invert the bolt/nut - see how it goes, and let you know.

Cheers.
__________________
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2012, 18:12   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Exeter
Make: Avon Searider 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 4-stroke
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 74
Hi Hadd all sorted - i swapping the bracket order over as suggested and it fixed it ;- ). Thanks again!!
__________________

__________________
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.