Old 06 January 2016, 13:19   #21

Just be careful with reviving batteries. You can't fix a dead battery 100% no matter the charger you use technically. Once you leave a battery discharged for any length of time (48hrs can do it) the plates get damaged due to sulfate and it is IMPOSSIBLE to fix that. Sure the battery may come back but you have no where near the original capacity nor cranking ability.

One of the batts on my boat drained last week, don't know why yet, I think bilge or someone playing with tilt.... But anyway. I run it on the engine to try and kick it back into life and no go.

I have really expensive chargers due to my other hobbies and I have managed to bring the battery back to full voltage again, it is sitting right now at 13.2v after being left overnight to settle ( surface charge wearing off ) and in theory is a good battery, over 24hrs it will probably settle down just under 13v and sit there........ But I know fact it only has 60amps in it as my chargers tell you mah put in. It has taken a week to get it back and allowing the batt to sit between charges. I.e charge for 2 hours, off for 8 etc The battery should be 100amps according to the label, you can't use close to that anyway btw!!. Realistically you can only reliably use 50-60% of the capacity, so my battery is probably 30 amps now in reality. But if you look at voltage alone and you didn't know any better you would think the battery is fine, It will never go back in the boat though.
Old 06 January 2016, 19:24   #22

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Xk59D

You can meter the battery's latent capacity with a tester. Use them regularly at work. I'll check it for you before you dump it.
Old 06 January 2016, 19:40   #23

Hey mate,

Nice one, I'm going to use it purely to start engine during winter. A like for like replacement was 80 quid so that was the plan when season comes around or before next trip.

I'll give you the batt next time I see ye dude for testing before chucking it.
Old 07 April 2016, 13:54   #24
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Time to report back. I ended up with a pair of CTEK MXS 7.0 MULTI XS 7000 units supplied by Tayna UK with a five year warranty. Tayna were very good to deal with (Staff, export arrangements, paperwork, packing, delivery all excellent). I'll be hooking them up to the RIB over the next few days and we'll see how they behave on permanent charge. The batteries are 120Ah gels and I think they are a bit below par...

Old 07 April 2016, 14:01   #25

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Battery Maintenance Charger

I have the same beast, I switch on the ACR & connect the charger to one battery, the ACR sorts out the logistics & charges both batteries from the one charger. Mine are blue top optimas. I leave them on charge all winter.

Sh1t happens
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote