Old 17 December 2001, 21:35   #1

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
Backup outboard mounting

I have a few solo runs across the Irish sea coming up over Christmas so I will need to take a spare outboard with me. I have previously run either with the spare on the transom next to the main outboard, or clamped onto a seatback. The small outboard gets a real hammering on the transom and it also got in the way on the seatback. What other ideas does anyone have for a safe mounting inside the rib?
Old 18 December 2001, 06:47   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
The best way is to strap it to the deck, ideally inside a locker but outside if necessary -- often the bow area is the most suitable space.

If you don't have any tie down points on your deck then they are easy to fit. If you have access to the underside of the deck (via a suitable hatch) you can use bolts, otherwise use screws. U bolts on screw down base plates seem to be the most common choice. Either way, make sure to use plenty of sealant (eg Sikaflex) in and round the holes.

Then either rope the outboard in place, or better still use a couple of ratchet straps. A piece of foam under the outboard (an off cut from one of the sleeping mats sold for camping is ideal) will protect both deck and motor and keep it from sliding around.

This is how many of the racers carry their auxilliary engines, so it obviously copes with a beating!

John
Old 18 December 2001, 22:00   #3

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
I agree with John. Ours lives on a purpose built stainless steel deck mounting just forward of the transom. The engine is held down using its own clamps and a bungie holds the propellor end tight onto the deck fitting and stops it thumping around. Here it is tucked well out of the way but easy to swing over the transom if needed. To finish off you can put a prop bag over the engine to keep rain and spray out. If you wish I can send a photo.

Solo runs across the Irish Sea in the middle of winter. Sounds interesting. Should HM Customs and Excise know about this?
Old 19 December 2001, 23:20   #4

Thanks John, and Geoff it would be useful to see a photo of the bracket so I can copy it! As for the solo runs, nothing so interesting I'm afraid, I'm just collecting my friend Sam the fireman in Portpatrick - he finishes night shift in Glasgow at 8am and he's having lunch with us in Bangor at 1pm!
Old 20 December 2001, 17:31   #5

Town: Falmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp yam
As the spare engine is sometimes lashed to the deck, it can be suseptable if the boat is swamped, pooped or exposed ito heavy weather.

I agree the best way to sucure the engine is to lash it down on a foam bed.

For complete peace of mind, Avon make a waterproof outboard engine bag, made of Hypalon, that the engine can be kept in untill it is required.

It was produced by Avon for the milatry and commercial market, for air drops and sub marine deployment, etc

As the spare engine is, hopefully, rarely or never used, this bag ensures that corrosion is kept at bay and the engine is kept in A1 condition, for when you need it, drifting down on that lee shore in a F8.

Should imagine its on their website.
Old 21 December 2001, 07:25   #6

Town: Dunedin
Boat name: Zebedee
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15 2 stroke
Reliability of a stored engine?

What reliability can you expect from an auxiliary engine that has been strapped to the deck for some months and never started? Wouldn't you expect some difficulty in starting it after such a time? I.e. what security are you really giving yourself here?

Asking because I'd like to know the answer, rather than because I'm trying to make a point!

cheers,
Simon
(avid reader but only very occasional poster to RibNet)
Old 22 December 2001, 07:52   #7

In the days of Seagull outboards it was comon for a Silver Century to be left lying in a yacht loacker for several years, to emerge and run with no more than usual problem (cleaning plugs etc.). With a modern small outboard with electronic ignition it shouldnt be a problem providing the carburettor is eithe run dry or emptied before storage. Thats the theory but I know of several outboards that have ended up with noisy (or even seized)bottom main bearings from being kept on rib or sportsboat transoms unused for a season or more.
Old 22 December 2001, 18:07   #8

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
My boat is stored at home when not in use so I put the auxillary in garage. I also run it every few months in a bucket of water on the back of the boat and then shut the fuel off and leave the engine running to drain the carburettor. On the one occasion we needed the motor it started first time.
But since you never really know with these things, we also carry a VHF and some flares!
Old 30 December 2001, 00:37   #9

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
I would tend to go with Geoff's idea of storing the engine proerly in a nice dry shed between use and firing it up every few weeks in a barrel of water .

Outboards love being used .

In my experience the only out board that has given trouble is one that has been laid up for a few months without being fired up.

The same applies to all the kit on your RIB . ( anchors flares tools warps etc etc . It is a good idea to completely strip all the kit from your boat , clean , check and repack it at least every few months .

That way you know your kit will be ok when you really need it !

Those of us who use RIBs professionally do it after each trip / mission.

Best wishes ,

Stuart
www.powerboat.org:
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2001, 17:51   #10

Town: Salisbury
How far is this Irish Sea trip ?

How long does it take, what amount of fuel do you carry, how much do you burn ?

What boat you doing it in ?

What does the Sea get like ?

Having just bought a Rib it intrigues me that you guys just pop across a sea or two , when having just sold a 22 foot Bayliner I thought the Solent got rough enough !

Cheers
Old 31 December 2001, 07:05   #11

Its all about getting confidence in just what your own RIB (and yourself!) is capable of. I used to have a Coronet 23 (twin 120s) and it gave no confidence in anything over F3-4. But in a 5.5 rib 6+ is no problem. So much more buoyancy, so much less slamming etc.
For info - Bangor to Portpatrick, 24 miles, about 60 litres there and back, 115HP Merc.
Old 31 December 2001, 14:11   #12

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
A reasonably good analogy would be comparing a sports cruiser versus a RIB with a Luxury Saloon car versus say a Land Rover Discovery .

Ribs are really a 4 wheel drive boat . With proper training and planning you can enjoy yourself in comfort and safety in a RIB in place where a large sports cruiser would be crashing and banging.

Best wishes ,

Stuart
www.powerboat.org
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote