Old 29 October 2004, 15:24   #21

Town: bath
Boat name: scoobydoo
Make: scorpion
Length: 8m +
we have a suzuki 6hp four stroke on 8M scorpion. We have been forced to use it several times this summer With no wind and tide effect it makes 6Knts with main leg up at push.
Old 29 October 2004, 16:50   #22

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob
Well its finally happened after lots of searching and lots of helpful tips from this forum. I am now the proud owner of a 7.5 Scorpion rib.

Actually to anybody looking for a rib this is a good time, many people think about selling, many becuase they did not use it much and considered it alot of money just sitting there.

Anyway, my question, i am going to get a back-up engine, i was thinking 5-6 hp just to get me home, the reason i say this hp is because MBM did a section on this quite recently
congrats on the scorpion. good hull. Dont know what engine you have?
It would have been better to have two engines. A small 5 hp motor ain't going to push you anywhere.To get over the fuel problem in the main tanks
always carry a 50 liter plastic can and sufficent rubber tubing so that you can take off the fuel line to the engine and run the engine from the backup 50 liter .90% of problems with OBs comes from fuel contamination.

jonathan
Old 29 October 2004, 17:15   #23
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
So when reverse mounted, to use it you have to unmount it and turn it round? Sounds like it could easily be dropped over the side whilst trying to move it in a hurry!!

I have an inboard diesel - the engine box means that I can't mount anything on the transom in a 'conventional' way - no room. So I guess I'd have to mount it on a bracket - like GaryGee did on his Ribcraft. My worry is that it would need to be mounted quite low on the transom (it's a tall transom), so wouldn't be able to leave it there full time.

DGR...
Old 30 October 2004, 18:58   #24

Town: Dublin
Boat name: Platypus
Make: Parker 630
Length: 6m +
Engine: 1.7 Mercruiser DTI
Is this any help??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR
So when reverse mounted, to use it you have to unmount it and turn it round? Sounds like it could easily be dropped over the side whilst trying to move it in a hurry!!

I have an inboard diesel - the engine box means that I can't mount anything on the transom in a 'conventional' way - no room. So I guess I'd have to mount it on a bracket - like GaryGee did on his Ribcraft. My worry is that it would need to be mounted quite low on the transom (it's a tall transom), so wouldn't be able to leave it there full time.

DGR...
I'm looking at optons myself
http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0000921.jsp
Old 01 November 2004, 09:32   #25
DGR

Hmm...interesting.

Funny that the 10HP and 20HP version aren't designed for 4-strokes, or salt water!!

I've seen kit like this before, and I would guess that a long shaft 6HP engine and 14" of travel should keep it up high enough that it wouldn't be a problem. I'll have to get the tape measure out next time I go down to the boatyard......

As a rule of thumb, what height should the prop be relative to the bottom of the transom? Should the cavitation plate be level with the bottom of the transom at that point, or higher, or lower?

Ah well, at least I don't have to worry about plumbing the outboard into the main fuel tank......

D...
Old 01 November 2004, 19:40   #26

I'm trying to ship a diesel outboard.....

from Florida!

I've sourced a zongshen 6HP in Florida, and am currently working on a cheap
way of getting it home.

Any ideas would be welcome , I've been trying to get it into a part consignment, but no luck yet.
Old 01 November 2004, 20:10   #27

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Humm. engine home from Florida huh?

The easy way would be to make sure its drained of fuel and oil and vented for 48 hours prior to shipment. In shipping terms this should turn it from a hazardous good to an innert product. Then you could get it back with one of the main intergrators, (Fedex, DHL, UPS).

If you want to go cheaper and slower the best bet is to try and get it with a groupage consignent as you say. I generally dont use consolidators at work because they dont like carrying my cargoes for security / insurance reasons but would think Schenkers or She Maritime or someone like that would be able to help.

Be careful when you do get it back to make sure you dont get stung for the import duties. if its new you are suposed to declare the value and pay duties and VAT accordingly. if its second hand you need to declare a "realistic" Value but you might get away duty free if you can clame they are british returned goods. (Not strictly true tho! )

Remember if you declare a low value for customs your also declaring a low value for insurance so if anything nasty were to happen you are screwed!

hope this helps.
Old 01 November 2004, 20:33   #28

Thanks....

... for the advice. I suspect I'll have to pay the duty. DHL quoted crazy price
which is why I'm looking for groupage. You'd think Dublin would make it easy
with all the logisitic companies and the Celtic Tiger, however I've been advised it might be easier to U.K.

The only hurry is for next spring!!
Old 01 November 2004, 20:37   #29

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
reverse mount

piccies as requested.

Engine fitted wrong way round on the transom plus a pad lock to ensure she does not come loose. Leg (over the aux tank) is strapped to deck. Dual fuel feeds to aux and to main tank.

And btw the engine is light enough to lift off the transom and reverse quite quicky and easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	8975   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	8976  
Old 01 November 2004, 22:22   #30

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker
And btw the engine is light enough to lift off the transom and reverse quite quicky and easily.
In a force 6 or 7? Rather you than me Brucie.
Old 01 November 2004, 22:39   #31

If I were going out in a Force 6 or 7 I would reverse it when moored in the harbour. It really is a 1 minute job. I am used to hoisting it on and off our SIB when SIB is in water and I am standing on the pontoon.

I do not fancy the stresses on the bracket of bouncing along with the small engine leg hanging out over the transom.....
Old 01 November 2004, 23:05   #32

Quote:
If I were going out in a Force 6 or 7 I would reverse it when moored in the harbour. ......I do not fancy the stresses on the bracket of bouncing along with the small engine leg hanging out over the transom.....
Contradictory?

You could make a wee bracket to support it, unclip the bracket and allow it to pivot down and then drop the leg.
Old 01 November 2004, 23:15   #33

Not really contradictory. I would worry about long term bouncing stress on the small engine. On the really rough conditions - and why would I be going out I would put up with it for the obvious safety reasons.

We looked at bracket mounting her, but the available brackets provided no support and I am not an engineer
Old 02 November 2004, 00:48   #34

Town: Fareham
Long overdue but trialed my 2hp Aux on Sunday, in the Harbour with a receeding tide and probably a 3 knot race, it was next to useless both in terms of steerage and propulsion, if it had been windy. Will be looking at upgrading at the first oppotunity. Just goes to show you that without trialing things in real conditions you never know!!

Andy
Old 02 November 2004, 07:45   #35

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Not really contradictory. I would worry about long term bouncing stress on the small engine. On the really rough conditions - and why would I be going out I would put up with it for the obvious safety reasons.

We looked at bracket mounting her, but the available brackets provided no support and I am not an engineer
Totally agree, most brackets seem only suitable for a yacht at 4 knots not the stern of a rib at 30. If your going to the trouble of making a brakcet then perhaps one on the back of a seat might be a better alternative. If not just clamp it to the transom, at least thats strong enough.

Pete
Old 02 November 2004, 11:44   #36

Sorry but I don't agree. Handling an outboard motor is an awkward business at the best of times, even a small one. The clamp screws catch, the mounting bracket swivels out of alignment at the crucial moment etc.

The conditions you leave harbour in are not necessarily the conditions you find yourself in when it's an emergency.

A rib has a high bow and, therefore, windage. The motor lower unit will act as a sea anchor and it will be only a short time before the boat swings around and is floating with its stern to the weather. If the sea is anything above a force 3-4 then 2-3ft waves will be splashing onto the stern and the boat will be rocking and rolling. If they're Ribnet waves, they could be as big a 2.5mtrs .

Mounting a motor whilst getting wet, balancing yourself, getting cold and, adding to that, the pressure of the moment and the possible unfolding drama as that outcrop of rocks gets ever closer, is not a situation you should put yourself into.

The auxiliary needs to be fueled and ready for use with the least possible hassle. Unclip the bracket, switch on the fuel, pump the bulb and start it is the maximum you should be looking at doing under stressful conditions.

I do agree that the tilt lock is unsuitable for supporting the motor while travelling. I'll draw you a simple bracket which could be easily made to support the leg of a small motor. No welding required.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OB bracket x300.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	8978  
Old 02 November 2004, 13:39   #37

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
I think that both sides of this discussion are valid but there is a compromise which might work.

On a lot of older folkboats they have a ‘track’ made of two lengths of channel, that goes from the horizontal to the vertical over the transom. You mount the outboard on a ‘carriage’ which is retained in the track and when you need to use it you just push it overboard. The photo below shows (if you squint) the track without an outboard.

I had thought about using one on a previous boat because it keeps the transom free from clutter and with the outboard in the horizontal it can be supported by blocks and lashed in place. I also thought about a solid cover.
Des
Attached Images

Old 02 November 2004, 17:31   #38
DGR

Transom attachment...

...is clearly the way forward - BUT - what if you can't? My engine box occupies the whole thing - no way I can direct mount an aux on there. The only option is some sort of bracket - or the rail thing, but it would need to be a clever rail to I can open the engine box......(hinges at the back).

It would also occupy the top of the engine box - which has already been earmarked by someone as a location for a big sunbathing pad.........

D...
Old 02 November 2004, 23:53   #39

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Bruce, Noticed you've got a padlock holding your auxilary on. Just thought I'd point out 2 things;

1) Good luck tryin to get it to open if its not a marine grade lock, especially if you need to open it to reverse the engine in a hurry, whilst out in the rough stuff. Salt water will corrode the sh*t out of it!!

2) As an anti theft device a padlock is very poor, although a lot better than nothing!! It leaves the engine tighteners (best description I could come up with!!) exposed and instead of cutting a pad lock these are far weaker and any prepared scumbag will have cut a nice slot in one to slip the padlock out in just a few minutes.

I've got a proper outboard lock for mine and it works a treat. Here's a pic of my setup, although it now has a tight piece of no-stretch rope tying the leg of the aux to the a-frame, which eliminates nearly all of the stresses on the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lock.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	8984  
Old 03 November 2004, 05:10   #40

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Steve, looking at your wake in that picture, you must be doing well over 30kts... piracy must be really bad round your area if you need to keep the outboard lock fixed!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote