Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 07 February 2008, 16:41   #1
Member
 
Country: Germany
Town: Stuttgart
Boat name: Boat
Make: Avon,Scorpio,535 She
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 75HP,Johnson 70
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 133
avon 5,4 , anti caviation plate

Hi there,
on saturday i have to renew my engine plate .
I want to use a 85HP Evinrude on the boat.
Does someone has experience how much is the best distance between keel
and caviation plate? How much is the orginal measure from keel to top of engine plate? Ist the engine plate usually open on top, behind the alluminum
stripe and not closed with epoxy?
Thanks for your ideas

Mike
__________________

__________________
mike-stgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2008, 17:19   #2
Member
 
Country: Germany
Town: Stuttgart
Boat name: Boat
Make: Avon,Scorpio,535 She
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 75HP,Johnson 70
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 133
Sorry, my engine plate means the transom.
__________________

__________________
mike-stgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2008, 18:08   #3
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Have you got any pictures of your boat?

I find that the anti cavitation plate needs to be as far below the V of the keel as possible for a standard long shaft engine. Mount the engine as low as possible and if need be you can move it up one bolt.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2008, 04:46   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,610
Mike,

Sounds like you are totally replacing the entire trasom (engine plate)? if so , seal it, and seal it well! Even if you are just replacing the metal bit that the engine sits against, seal it and seal it well!!! (but make sure it's dry inside first)

Water in the transom / floor is the favourite failure for old SRs......
__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2008, 12:51   #5
Member
 
Country: Germany
Town: Stuttgart
Boat name: Boat
Make: Avon,Scorpio,535 She
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 75HP,Johnson 70
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 133
Hi there,
i bought the rib 2 weeks ago in Italy, because it was not as far for me to transport it as from England.

It was converted to fix a short shaft engine and i have bought a 85HP V4 Evinrude longshaft and repair the transom this weekend.
I know , the normal measure for the transom is 20"to use longshaft, that means 50,8 cm.
The caviation plate has to be 2-4cm under the keel to prevent from caviation.
The keel of the searider is very deep and so i am looking for experience, how
deep the caviation plate must be in this case.

I sanded the transom and shall glue it with epoxy . I was only wondering, that the transom was not closed at the top, but only painted wood.

Greetings from Stuttgart
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild001.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	32744  
__________________
mike-stgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2008, 20:05   #6
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-stgt View Post
Hi there,
on saturday i have to renew my engine plate .
I want to use a 85HP Evinrude on the boat.
Does someone has experience how much is the best distance between keel
and caviation plate? How much is the orginal measure from keel to top of engine plate? Ist the engine plate usually open on top, behind the alluminum
stripe and not closed with epoxy?
Thanks for your ideas

Mike
Hi

This is a standard information, don't know if this distances can be applied to your rib.

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB150790.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	32750  
__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2008, 20:51   #7
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-stgt View Post
Hi there,
i bought the rib 2 weeks ago in Italy, because it was not as far for me to transport it as from England.

It was converted to fix a short shaft engine and i have bought a 85HP V4 Evinrude longshaft and repair the transom this weekend.
I know , the normal measure for the transom is 20"to use longshaft, that means 50,8 cm.
The caviation plate has to be 2-4cm under the keel to prevent from caviation.
The keel of the searider is very deep and so i am looking for experience, how
deep the caviation plate must be in this case.
Mine is level with the keel and I can drop one hole on the engine bolts.The propeller will probably grip better with the anticavitation plate 2 cm below the keel-your V4 Evinrude will be a nice torquey motor and you will need the grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-stgt View Post
I sanded the transom and shall glue it with epoxy . I was only wondering, that the transom was not closed at the top, but only painted wood.
The transom should be closed at the top-Avon use a 3mm aluminium strip. Avon weren't good at sealing them properly-but sealing it will be a good idea.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2008, 03:23   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Is having the anti ventilation plate below the keel necessary? I have mine set 2 inches above to get the best combination of grip and performance?

Or is this a SeaRider thing

Chris
__________________
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2008, 05:39   #9
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Is having the anti ventilation plate below the keel necessary? I have mine set 2 inches above to get the best combination of grip and performance?

Or is this a SeaRider thing

Chris
It appears to be a Searider thing.I do wonder if having the plate above the keel is maybe an Osprey thing though. It's higher than most have it as far as I know.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2008, 15:48   #10
Member
 
Country: Germany
Town: Stuttgart
Boat name: Boat
Make: Avon,Scorpio,535 She
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 75HP,Johnson 70
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 133
Hi there,
it is not a special thing to seariders, but normally the caviation plate is zero
with the keel to 50mm below keel. I only thought it should be the maximum of 50mm below, because the searider has a sharp V .
I try it with a transom high of 50cm , so i can adjust it lower or higher as
it improves riding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild027.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	32757  
__________________

__________________
mike-stgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.