Old 16 September 2012, 06:18   #11
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
I would go for a new tohatsu 6-8hp 4 stroke ( same as mercury / mariner but less money and same warranty) as they hold their money v well and will set you back around 930 inc vat
The 6hp certainly are around that money but for the information of the OP, I'll add that the 8hp is more like 1500, which is probably what the lighter and more powerful 9.8 will sell for.

I wouldn't argue against a 6hp for a RIB like the OPs, but I'd want a bit more power if it was for me

Old 16 September 2012, 06:20   #12
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Its a right Jeepster
Oi, language! "PITA" if you absolutely must.

Old 16 September 2012, 07:30   #13

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
If you're planning to keep it mounted on the transom then you will have to find some way to secure it as the mounts would never survive the forces over time.
On my Mariner 4hp - I use a ratchet strap through the starter rope opening on the cowl, around engine block, back through the opening then secured to stainless-steel U bolt on the transom knee. Solid as a rock.
Old 16 September 2012, 08:01   #14
Dhf

Length: no boat
As mentioned unless you get big enough to lift you off displacement speed, then you'd just as well get a proper little light weight aux, like my licle 4hp suzi dt which pushes my 7m @ 5/6kn, for starters if your gonna leave on transom, and you by accident or intentionally get some big air then it's that light that its not going to cause any poor balancing issues, which IMHO can cause bad landing. balance is the key to handling I fink.
I was very happy with my 2.5 Merc untill sum tw@t pinched it last year, that pushed me along 4/5kn even pushing against tide, although i'm not saying that size would battle a strong tide or heavy head on sea, but the way I see, if your unfortunate to loose main, then you better going with the flow, even if that means going miles to find a lee, or other beach or safehaven, failing that drop anchor and wait for tide turn, or help/tow.
Although contrary to all that a 9.9hp would cope very well against most conditions, and if weight is no issue, then you could balance your stern by adding equal weight on tuther side.
Always worth having paddles as well of cause, preferably with those attachments on the gunwales, but then i'm probably talking rollox.
Failing all above,
You can also hang of the back and kick like f*** flipper.
Old 16 September 2012, 10:11   #15

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhawk ficht View Post
Always worth having paddles as well of cause, preferably with those attachments on the gunwales, but then i'm probably talking rollox.
Failing all above,
You can also hang of the back and kick like f*** flipper.
Yep, Got paddles in the boat already.

The kicking like f**k option does not really apeal!

Anyway thanks for the info guys, and it certainly leaning me towards the smaller engines, 6 to 10Hp, as you have advised unless getting on the plane we will not realise the benefits of a larger engine. Plus the prices of the smaller engines are very much more attractive!

I have seen on fleabay new Hangkai engines for pennies, and guess they are worth pennies then!

Will look for a good second hand 2 stroke, long shaft engine.

I will keep it on the transom, and try to get a securing arrangement, along with one of those brackets for Auxy engines, that you can drop down. I am sure I can cobble together a securing arrangement.

I am quite happy to keep a spare bottle of 2 stroke oil on board, and a small petrol tank.

As has been said, I am not going to be using it unless trying to get out of trouble, or unless I am trolling for bass?

As I am looking to go as far as 12- 15 miles offshore for a bit of wrecking (weather dependant) I would need it to limp home in case I loose the main. At the moment I do not want to venture very far without an Auxy, so will definately be going down that route.

Again thanks for the advice everyone, it is much appreciated!

Gary