Old 31 August 2015, 16:19   #1

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Auxilliary Outboard advice

After years of running with just my single main outboard, I am thinking its time to splash out on an aux for safety sake - given how far we journey, and mostly alone
Due to weight and size, and trawling previous posts on here, I am considering a 6HP 4S.
Given those with experience of such matters- is this likely to be any use in a emergency, and would I need a short or long leg ( Merc 4S)
Rib is a 6m Cobra with 25" transom (Opti is XL). I am unclear as obviously the motor will be well off centre and I do not know how deep the aux should run when off plane which it will be.
The Cobra has a thin, 70mm wide 'spray' flange across the top of the transom so I will need a spacer bracket. Will a fixed type be better than a lifting one ::: or has anyone better thoughts
Thanks for any advice
Jeff
Old 31 August 2015, 16:46   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Jeff

I had a 4hp short shaft not through choice I had it before I got the rib I found mine ok because it's mounted well toward the tube on the 24 degree dead rise there was sufficient water coming past the hull to the prop for it to achieve 3-4knots on a 6m rib. I did manage to mount it right up against the A frame but it was tight and you have to steer with the main engine,not a get you home so much as to keep you out of trouble such as rope round the main prop until you get it sorted etc. 6 hp would be better but you would need a transom bracket I had one on two brackets end on if that makes sense to get the motor well back to be able to steer it because of the A frame.i also made a clamp which was round the A frame with the engine clamped on and lowered it down when I used it as another option
to be honest I have tried all sorts to get it right but you are stuck with width of the transom and A Frame position etc you could argue with the fixed engine what if you loose steering to the main engine?.
Also you could try a hi thrust motor yam do a 9.9 others might too better for displacement speeds fishermen use them I had one on a quicksilver 500 yam 60 hp bl--dy good.

Cheers
Old 31 August 2015, 17:21   #3

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Jeff

I had a 4hp short shaft not through choice I had it before I got the rib I found mine ok because it's mounted well toward the tube on the 24 degree dead rise there was sufficient water coming past the hull to the prop for it to achieve 3-4knots on a 6m rib. I did manage to mount it right up against the A frame but it was tight and you have to steer with the main engine,not a get you home so much as to keep you out of trouble such as rope round the main prop until you get it sorted etc. 6 hp would be better but you would need a transom bracket I had one on two brackets end on if that makes sense to get the motor well back to be able to steer it because of the A frame.i also made a clamp which was round the A frame with the engine clamped on and lowered it down when I used it as another option
to be honest I have tried all sorts to get it right but you are stuck with width of the transom and A Frame position etc you could argue with the fixed engine what if you loose steering to the main engine?.
Also you could try a hi thrust motor yam do a 9.9 others might too better for displacement speeds fishermen use them I had one on a quicksilver 500 yam 60 hp bl--dy good.

Cheers
Thanks Jeff
Old 31 August 2015, 19:41   #4

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
I've got a Mariner 6hp 4s on an Osprey Viper 5.25, which pushes it along at just over 5kts. It's a long shaft but probably should have a short shaft (got it as it was a good buy !). Mount it straight into the transom, so much more solid and secure when the going gets rough. I also have a splash lip along the edge of the transom but simply cut part of it away to allow the outboard to fit. Steering is limited when going hard over on one side due to the A frame leg but good steering can still be had using the main outboard leg as a rudder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1441050078.736131.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	108285

Sent from my Aye Aye Phone using RIB Net