Old 23 May 2019, 19:54   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Zodiac 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 40 autolube
Auxiliary engine options

Hi all,

New to the forum so... hello!

I have a 4.7m zodiac Pro. Due to the unique shape of the transom it would be hard to mount a conventional bracket and auxiliary.

My question is, has anyone tried an electric trolling motor as an auxiliary? Saw a pic online and thought it might be a better option for me due to weight and make a DIY transom bracket.

I know it's not going to get me home from middle of the pacific! But emergency crawl back to slipway in the harbour...?

Any better suggestions or if anyone can think of anything better?

Many thanks
Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190523_081440_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	129423  
Old 24 May 2019, 06:06   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Your best bet is a slim 2-stroke auxiliary on a bracket (not an adjustable bracket). Can't really comment on electric trolling motors as I have no experience of them. A general rule is 1hp per metre for the boat.

I run a Mariner 4hp long shaft on my own boat. It's a great little engine. Remember and look for a way to secure the engine underway in a tilt position as the outboard saddle and tilt mechanism isn't robust.

I used to have a 7-man Pro so know the transom layout exactly. Read this. I learnt the hard way a fitted a daft Plastimo adjustable bracket. No use to man nor beast. Fixed bracket (wedge style) is the way to go. http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/fitting...pro-23132.html
Old 24 May 2019, 15:03   #3

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Zodiac 470
Engine: Yamaha 40 autolube
Okay thanks for your advice.

I'd obviously prefer and engine over a motor, my concern is the weight or the storage in the boat as its not massive.

Might follow your advice, but only need to take it with when venturing out the harbour. In the harbour I can always paddle back!
Old 24 May 2019, 18:53   #4

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Length: 3m +
Hi Richard. I have an electric trolling motor as my backup. It is 55ft pound output.My boat is 4.5 metres, and whilst I would say a petrol motor would give greater range, and power, the electric motor is light, easy to store and as maintenance free as you can get. I put a large capacity battery on the boat to increase range. I use it occasionally at sea. Never had to use it in anger, but it is better than nothing, and in reasonable seas would hopefully at least get me back to shore. In strong currents or rough seas its untested, so depends where you sail. I've had it for 10 years, and spent nothing on it.
Old 25 May 2019, 18:43   #5

Town: Basildon
Boat name: SIByl
Make: SeaSearch
Engine: Mercury OB
Trolling Electric Motor

I bought an electric O/b to go on my 2.8 Honwave SIB. which was my tender to larger vessel kept on a tidal swinging mooring. It works OK on flat calm or if running with the tide and no wind. Pretty useless against a 3-4 knot ebb tide or against a strong wind. I replaced it with a 2.3 Honda petrol O/b and that was sufficient for my needs.