Old 02 October 2016, 14:45   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Aux water pump

I have a Mariner/Merc 4hp as an aux, that I got just after the boat, so late 2010.

It gets exercised semi-regularly to make sure it still works, but has probably only accumulated less than 10 hours total run time.

What's the view of the need or otherwise to change the impeller? I haven't done the main engine yet (just ordering the bits now) and that's six years old but obviously has many more running hours.

Thoughts please? How big a job is it on the little motors anyway - I assume it's in the gearcase same as with bigger motors, and so a fair bit of disassembly will be required?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2016, 14:56   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Rubber work hardens and with age for the cost I would drop the lower leg and fit a new impeller cheers
Old 02 October 2016, 15:13   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Change it.You're risking shedding vanes from the impeller. Does it have forward/reverse?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2016, 15:14   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Rubber work hardens and with age for the cost I would drop the lower leg and fit a new impeller cheers
I think technically it just hardens with age rather than work hardening (hence even if not working it still hardens).

Bogmonster - even if the impellor itself is in fine shape, it won't do any harm to remove the lower leg and regressed all the bits (so you might as well replace the impellor) otherwise when it does eventually need doing you have the joy of all those seized bolts etc. to contend with.
Old 02 October 2016, 15:18   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Thoughts please? How big a job is it on the little motors anyway - I assume it's in the gearcase same as with bigger motors, and so a fair bit of disassembly will be required?
They're not in the gear case but above it. The job is simple and should be done - if only to ensure bolts aren't seizing up.

Order the full works - impeller, woodruff key, two gaskets and the seals for the gearbox oil screws and get that oil changed too!
Old 02 October 2016, 16:03   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I think technically it just hardens with age rather than work hardening (hence even if not working it still hardens).

Bogmonster - even if the impellor itself is in fine shape, it won't do any harm to remove the lower leg and regressed all the bits (so you might as well replace the impellor) otherwise when it does eventually need doing you have the joy of all those seized bolts etc. to contend with.
The vanes don't return to vertical after a while they stay facing backwards loosing their spring in effect work harden because they are under pressure all the time then go brittle that's when the problems start with bits in the water ways impellers are part of the service kit so should be changed in line with service intervals

Cheers
Old 03 October 2016, 10:50   #7

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
I think Nos asked a very pertinent question ! ( ie does it still have forward and reverse ? ) .

I used to run my auxillary as a precaution , always flush and occasionally service but the gear selection mechanism seized solid in neutral . Required a strip down to rectify . Well worth exercising and lubing.....
Old 04 October 2016, 20:46   #8

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Yes - everything still works and gets exercised to make sure! Pottering around with dolphins is a good way to work the aux for a bit. I sometimes do the "Hey look I've got twins" thing and put the aux full ahead and the main slow astern to do 360s

Gear selection was a bit sticky around year 2 but was sorted out and is now fine. The only other issue I had was some dirty fuel which blocked the carb (on a test run), but I now take the whole internal tank out annually, empty it right out, swill it around with some clean fuel and refill with fresh to prevent a reoccurrence.

All comments noted, the problem here is needing to make ABSOLUTELY sure you've got everything to hand before pulling it to bits as it takes weeks to get anythng missing down from UK. I'm currently going through that process to get all the bits for the main engine and if I get that job behind me with no problems then I'll turn to the aux.

Thanks.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote