Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 27 September 2019, 05:29   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,540
aspen fuel

anyone know if Aspen fuel can be mixed with unleaded ie; if i have a tank with Aspen can i switch to unleaded and vise versa.
when i say unleaded super unleaded without ethanol [BP brand]

cheers
__________________

__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 10:08   #2
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,799
RIBase
Aspen website says you can:

"Can I mix Aspen with regular petrol?
Aspen mixes with regular pump gasoline Ė you do not need to worry about a strange reaction. However, when mixed with regular petrol you will not gain the same benefits as using only Aspen, You may find that your engine has to be slightly adjusted depending on the quality of the regular petrol."
__________________

__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 10:39   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,540
i guessed you could willk but not a chemist so wasn't shore more details on why later
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 10:41   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Nautica/ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115/ Honda 100
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 498
guess you have realised aspen 2 (2stroke ) and aspen 4 (4stroke ) ,cant comment on engine use but athough crazy money as petrol ,it is very cheap "Coleman fluid " for your stove
__________________
Orwell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 14:13   #5
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,799
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
...more details on why later
If I had an auxie on standby with an internal tank of gas, it would be Aspen. It would then need to run on standard gas in an emergency.
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 14:21   #6
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,302
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
guess you have realised aspen 2 (2stroke ) and aspen 4 (4stroke ) ,cant comment on engine use but athough crazy money as petrol ,it is very cheap "Coleman fluid " for your stove


Whatís the going rate for it?
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 14:29   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,540
It's a bit early to be sure but I've had a Tickover problem for two years it stalls after a few mins If in gear priming the bulb overcomes it the it runs at high revs all day. Long story short two service agents can't find anything wrong, except where it is now at ardoran marine where they have done sea trials after changing the plugs with sooty deposits and set the tappets ran for an hour at all rev ranges with no problems.
They've had similar problems with other engines putting it down to the 95 octane methanol added fuel they think the ethernol drops out and coats the fuel system to that end they say don't use fuel more than a month old also some manufacturers arnt warrenting carberettors for more than a month for the fuel quality reason. I've heard that fuel is mixed to client requirements so buying the supermarket cheap stuff as I do could be the problem. He recamends using BP super unleaded 99 obtain with no ethernol to be better with aspen fuel in the system for winter or long periods because it lasts up to five years.
That would also be good for AUX engines with little use.
Of course it might be my problem sorted we shall see I will use brand new super unleaded when I go up next month for the test, usually the problem starts in about 15 mins normally.
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 14:30   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Whatís the going rate for it?
5ltrs £ 19 ish Dave it's said to clean the engine too
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 15:15   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 140HP
MMSI: 235115642
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 711
RIBase
Interestingly the Aspen website

https://aspenfuel.co.uk/products/

suggests that the Aspen 2 should only be used in land based two stroke engines and for marine use, you should use Aspen 4 mixed with Aspen outboard oil.
__________________
GuyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 15:39   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Nautica/ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115/ Honda 100
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
5ltrs £ 19 ish Dave it's said to clean the engine too
Yes i studied it a bit when i was doing alot of night beach fishing ,£40 to £50 a gallon for coleman fluid !! ,aspen basically is seen as pure petrol won,t leave any residue in jets etc ,think they call it naptha otherside of the pond ,loved by the landscape gardeners for strimmers and chain saws , did reccomend it to a few,some years back for stanby on yahct ouboards , not sure about cylinder lubricants etc ,bit like whats in the carb cleaner aerosols maybe ?
__________________
Orwell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 16:12   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,540
https://www.wemoto.com/info/star_tro...fuel_treatment
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 16:45   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15Hp 2-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,065
>>>using BP super unleaded 99 obtained with no ethanol

This from BP's own website Jeff... **Petrol in the UK already contains up to 5% bioethanol and has done for more than 10 years. Both BP regular unleaded petrol and BP Ultimate unleaded petrol are now also labelled as E5**

This labelling on the pumps has been law since the first of this month and it allows 5% ethanol to be added to the super unlead at will without breaking the legal spec.

My understanding is now ethanol in petrol is an ever more grey area and definitive answers are hard to get but BP and Esso super unlead grades are the most likely to be ethanol free except for the SW of England where 5% is usually added to both brands.

Also Esso state this... **Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland)**

So Scotland not free of the super unlead ethanol risk either. Also some supermarkets have been adding 5% to their own super unlead for several years over the whole country.
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 19:02   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wigan
Make: Bombard 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25hp
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 148
colman fuel £40/50 per gallon..... same as panel wipe £14 per gallon that's what I use in my colman stove and lamp
__________________
Big Al C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 05:55   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>using BP super unleaded 99 obtained with no ethanol

This from BP's own website Jeff... **Petrol in the UK already contains up to 5% bioethanol and has done for more than 10 years. Both BP regular unleaded petrol and BP Ultimate unleaded petrol are now also labelled as E5**

This labelling on the pumps has been law since the first of this month and it allows 5% ethanol to be added to the super unlead at will without breaking the legal spec.

My understanding is now ethanol in petrol is an ever more grey area and definitive answers are hard to get but BP and Esso super unlead grades are the most likely to be ethanol free except for the SW of England where 5% is usually added to both brands.

Also Esso state this... **Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland)**

So Scotland not free of the super unlead ethanol risk either. Also some supermarkets have been adding 5% to their own super unlead for several years over the whole country.
The aus BP web site states no ethernol in super unleaded but I don't see the same for a uk web site all on Google.
My thoughts for me are that I will use super unleaded in the outboard and wash out and leave in for extended periods aspen, I got a reply from them saying no problem mixing the two
Of course I haven't been up to test the engine as yet but it's running fine on unleaded (tesco)at the moment from the Jura trip so if it runs ok over a couple of days on super unleaded I will be happy then when it's home the unleaded goes in the wife's car all tanks and lines cleaned with aspen and go from there. If it plays up while at ardoran I will prove to them the problem first hand and leave it there and get Suzuki involved again.
The problem I have although ardoran have a view on ethernol as I explained, not seen any feedback on here other than the odd ask of how long fuel lasts.
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 05:56   #15
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,799
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
Interestingly the Aspen website

https://aspenfuel.co.uk/products/

suggests that the Aspen 2 should only be used in land based two stroke engines and for marine use, you should use Aspen 4 mixed with Aspen outboard oil.
Makes sense, it's clearly not TCW3 if it's being used in saws and strimmers - good to have a reminder.
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 06:00   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,540
Yes aspen 4 only for outboards and mix with the correct oil
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 14:22   #17
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,824
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al C View Post
colman fuel £40/50 per gallon..... same as panel wipe £14 per gallon that's what I use in my colman stove and lamp
Exactly what brand of panel wipe?
It varies per brand.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 15:29   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wigan
Make: Bombard 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25hp
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 148
Not really bothered about the brand,,,,, at the end of the day I'm burning its not being used to wipe the car before a paint job
__________________
Big Al C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 17:16   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Nautica/ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115/ Honda 100
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Exactly what brand of panel wipe?
It varies per brand.
Thats not a stupid statement ,i wrecked a vapouriser loop with panel wipe ,i think its a case of which manufacturer ,i never went back after that ,just staight to aspen 4
__________________
Orwell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2019, 03:23   #20
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
They've had similar problems with other engines putting it down to the 95 octane methanol added fuel they think the ethernol drops out and coats the fuel system to that end they say don't use fuel more than a month old also some manufacturers arnt warrenting carberettors for more than a month for the fuel quality reason. I've heard that fuel is mixed to client requirements so buying the supermarket cheap stuff as I do could be the problem.
.
Iíve a lot of time for Ardoran, but something got lost in translation there, either from them to you or whatever website they read that on!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×