JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Anyway of adjusting these?

When trimming all the way in the trim motor seems to slow right down pushing against the stainless bars. (WTF are they anyway?) and it's also very slow to trim out after it's been pushed against the bars. Anyway of adjusting the bars in?

Cheers,
John (sits back and waits to have the obvious pointed out)
Old 03 June 2009, 18:14   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
John

It's supposed to do that to give finer adjustment in the range where you are using it whilst on the water.

Its Trim and Tilt, the Trim being the slow part for adjusting the boat on the water, and Tilt for lifting the engine up out of the way.

Nasher.
Old 03 June 2009, 18:16   #3
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
John

It's supposed to do that to give finer adjustment in the range where you are using it whilst on the water.

Nasher.
And John gets the obvious pointed out in record time
Cheers mate.
Maybe it's my motor but it takes an age to trim all the way in.
Old 03 June 2009, 18:34   #4

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Touch Bottom
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 hp Merc Power t&t
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Maybe it's my motor but it takes an age to trim all the way in.
It's supposed to. Once the mid section hits the two rams that is your trim adjustment, then on the way up, as soon as the mid section leaves the rams that is your tilt. hope this helps. Colin....
Old 03 June 2009, 18:41   #5
JSP

There's been times though when I could have done with it trimming in quicker. But if that's the way it is, cheers lads
Old 03 June 2009, 18:49   #6

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
John,

What fluid have you got inside the PTT unit? and more importantly what should it be?

A classic way of stopping them leaking is to put EP90 (gearbox oil) inside instead of hydraulic fluid. The PTT will still work but it's very slow.

Don't take the fill plug out when the PTT is under pressure.

Pete
Old 03 June 2009, 18:52   #7
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
John,

What fluid have you got inside the PTT unit? and more importantly what should it be?

A classic way of stopping them leaking is to put EP90 (gearbox oil) inside instead of hydraulic fluid. The PTT will still work but it's very slow.

Don't take the fill plug out when the PTT is under pressure.

Pete
Ahh I'll check it out on the weekend. It is very slow so this could be the problem. Cheers Pete
Old 03 June 2009, 20:15   #8

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
One little tip of the day!!. If at the end of those two rams you have some balls seated in the top of the rams (cant see if you have in the photo) put some grease on the balls and make sure then can spin round, they should be able to spin freely if they dont it can slow the trim down a bit not alot but it helps!.
Old 03 June 2009, 20:24   #9
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel View Post
One little tip of the day!!. If at the end of those two rams you have some balls seated in the top of the rams (cant see if you have in the photo) put some grease on the balls and make sure then can spin round, they should be able to spin freely if they dont it can slow the trim down a bit not alot but it helps!.
Your a diamond mate. Will check
Was worth asking after all
Old 04 June 2009, 21:11   #10

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
Your trim ram seal on the port side is broken which has let salt water under the seal. It it now so badly corroded in there that the end cap with the 4 indents in it has gripped the ram so tight that the pressure relief valve is opening (the same valve that opens when you hit a submerged object). Take a punch and remove the end cap (special tool is crap). Press out the trim ram and scrape out the corrosion. I would do the other at the same time. Make sure you quote the serial no as there are 2 types of seal. TOP TIP When assembling, push the trim rams right in then put as much oil (ATF ONLY) as you can then screw the end caps on. This will hopefully help with bleeding the system otherwise you will need to remove the engine off the transom to slacken the pump. Remove the fill plug 17mm hex to fill with ATF until it overflows. Tilt up and down once only and leave it for 10 mins then do again. DO NOT go up down, up down, up down. You will airiate (spellcheck) the oil and you will get nowhere.
Old 04 June 2009, 22:24   #11

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie View Post
Your trim ram seal on the port side is broken which has let salt water under the seal. It it now so badly corroded in there that the end cap with the 4 indents in it has gripped the ram so tight that the pressure relief valve is opening (the same valve that opens when you hit a submerged object). Take a punch and remove the end cap (special tool is crap). Press out the trim ram and scrape out the corrosion. I would do the other at the same time. Make sure you quote the serial no as there are 2 types of seal. TOP TIP When assembling, push the trim rams right in then put as much oil (ATF ONLY) as you can then screw the end caps on. This will hopefully help with bleeding the system otherwise you will need to remove the engine off the transom to slacken the pump. Remove the fill plug 17mm hex to fill with ATF until it overflows. Tilt up and down once only and leave it for 10 mins then do again. DO NOT go up down, up down, up down. You will airiate (spellcheck) the oil and you will get nowhere.

Thats a lot of work for not a huge problem as it seems .. whats the down side of just leaving it ? and how soon would ignoring it be fatal in your view ?
Old 05 June 2009, 08:37   #12

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Engine: yamaha 80
John,
Mine takes for ever to trim down when its on the trailer, but when its on the water its ok, as long as your'e in forward gear the thrust of the prop helps it trim in quicker. trimming out is never a problem.
theres quite a complex arrangement of relief valves in the tilt unit and the way it works means there is more hydraulic pressure involved in trimming in then just tilting in or trimming out so it will be a bit slower anyway.
i got into the habit of trimming in while still under way saves what seems like an age waiting for it to trim in when stationary,
seal could do with changing, see if your fluid is pink rather than red.
Old 05 June 2009, 09:46   #13

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
The cross sectional area of a cylinder's piston when retracting is less then when it is extending (the rod attached to the cylinder's piston reduces the CSA) Perhaps that's why they are slower going in.
Old 05 June 2009, 09:48   #14
JSP

Thanks for all this lads. I'm going to check this out this weekend. I treated the corrosion on the that you can see earlier his year. That photo was taken just after the winch strap snapped my finger.