Old 30 June 2013, 23:35   #21

Length: under 3m
Engine: 10HP Merc
I'm not expecting the world, just something to get out on the water.

I'll have a look and see what I think, I was actually thinking if it's not awful I'd go and offer about 300 for it and if I get two weeks out of it I'd be happy enough at that rate.

One or two others that I have my eye on but they are a little more expensive, they are newer, but show more signs of wear and tear.....

You got a very good deal IMO...
Old 30 June 2013, 23:40   #22
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
No, I paid the going rate. Main dealers don't tend to make mistakes. If you look long enough, you'll find the same sort of thing.

At £300, you'll get your money back on it if you decide it's not for you, but I'd take a good reliable auxiliary with you.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2013, 00:13   #23

It might be the going rate wherever it is that you are, but it's not the going rate here. By all means send me a link to one that is available in N. Ireland, and prove me wrong, but I'd hardly be posting here if the were plenty of engines like you describe.

Thanks for all your encouragement anyway, it's precisely why I joined up here..........Where is the rolleyes icon when you need it?
Old 01 July 2013, 02:18   #24
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Why not get one shipped from over here? You'd get a far better deal if what you're saying about prices in NI is correct. (just avoid Dan Cooper and Bill Higham!)
Unfortunately there aren't plenty of decent motors about at any point in time. It's a case of looking long and hard.

Nobody's stopping you buying the green thing, but don't expect people to tell you you're getting a good deal and buying the right motor when appear to be set on buying something underpowered,potentially unreliable, older than the original Mini Metro with poor spares availability and the seller's asking three times what it's worth.

It's not in your best interests,no matter how much you want to get afloat.

(How about this-not far from the ferry)

40hp Mariner Outboard Engine Longshaft | eBay

Or this:-

OUTBOARD - 25HP Mercury | Castlereagh | Gumtree (1990s,though he doesnt say the shaft length)

Old 01 July 2013, 02:45   #25

yeah the 25 merc is a definate possibility, but if hes not prepared to accept any offers im not so sure, would have to find controls which i expect would be harder than getting an engine!
if it was a case of 600 on either the merc or johnson id take the merc of course, i have a feeling the guy actually has one or two other suitable outboards, and might have only mentioned the one as its the one hes having most bother shifting....

ive thought about getting something over the water, but billhigham seems to be one of the very few who would send by courier; unfortunately he does seema to be looking alot for all his engines...
Old 01 July 2013, 06:55   #26
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Controls for that 25 Merc wouldn't be too expensive-there's loads of them about. Search 'Commander 2000' for them. There'll be a few Ribnetters with some lying around as the ex military Seariders often have them fitted when they come from MOD disposal.

Old 01 July 2013, 14:44   #27

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Not been on all weekend - First post I guessed what the pics would be before I got to that one!

I have a 20, a 4 and a 2 of a similar vintage that are all still going strong. Speaking from experience spares aren't impossible to find, but you do need to know where to ask! It was also sold as a Johnson if that helps.
Old 01 July 2013, 15:11   #28

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Quote:
Originally Posted by miccheck1516 View Post
I'm not expecting the world, just something to get out on the water.
Yeah but you want to get inback off the water as well - and the water is very cold in your part of the world - if you have to get out and swim to push the boat back to the shore
Old 01 July 2013, 15:23   #29

I think anyone with any sense knows getting out of the boat in any case is literally the last thing you would ever want to do. i'd sooner drift across the irish sea to scotland than try and swim a boat anywhere.

Ive found one or two alternatives, in particular a 1999 25 hp 4 stroke mercury, for 1k which is very uch tickling my fancy.
Old 01 July 2013, 18:19   #30

and now i've spotted a 55 two stroke suzuki for 1200 looks to be about 1999/2000 also.

it's at the absolute max top end of my budget, but if I got it I wouldn't ever need to get anything more powerful....
Old 01 July 2013, 23:26   #31

gt the serial number for the original johnson I was thinkin of,

J25BALCTE

think that makes it an '83, but i've kinda gone off the idea in favour of either the suzuki 55 or a mariner 40 i've spotted....
Old 01 July 2013, 23:50   #32

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
What are you actually looking for, and what's your budget? Lots of different engines at lots of different prices mentioned here. As Nos says, look long enough and you shall find. Best bargain I ever got was a Mariner 15 2-stroke tiller (the last style model they made) for £150. Elderly gentleman selling it said there was something wrong with the tiller steering. Perhaps it was this arthritis. I used it for about 3 years before selling. Amazing engine.
Old 01 July 2013, 23:51   #33
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by miccheck1516 View Post
gt the serial number for the original johnson I was thinkin of,

J25BALCTE

think that makes it an '83, but i've kinda gone off the idea in favour of either the suzuki 55 or a mariner 40 i've spotted....
Odd, must be a commercial or MOD build only. It's definitely not been for sale to the general public since '78.

Mariner 40 would be a good buy if it's ok-the triples are good, the twins are Yamahas in disguise and also very good as long as they're ok, but mostly a bit long in the tooth now. There's a livery change in '93, so the later Mariner 40hp twins are easy to identify.

Old 02 July 2013, 00:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
What are you actually looking for, and what's your budget? Lots of different engines at lots of different prices mentioned here. As Nos says, look long enough and you shall find. Best bargain I ever got was a Mariner 15 2-stroke tiller (the last style model they made) for £150. Elderly gentleman selling it said there was something wrong with the tiller steering. Perhaps it was this arthritis. I used it for about 3 years before selling. Amazing engine.
Im just after something to put on the back of an SR4, it's rated for 50, but i've read about people using 55's and getting on ok...

My budget is about 2k, for boat and engine, i've spotted a boat advertised for 1k, so am looking for engines of at least 25hp for around 1k, the suzuki 55 and mariner 40 are both priced at 1200...

Im thinking the suzuki is the best at the minute as it's got full electrics and controls and seems to be newer than the mariner, it's a 1998.... The mariner looks like it's had new stickers and possibly even a respray at some point which is also putting me off... thinking it might have been a dooer-upper for someone....
Old 02 July 2013, 08:31   #35

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
An ideal engine for the SR4 is a 40hp yamaha 2 stroke, electric start & power trim and tilt.
Old 02 July 2013, 13:39   #36

Right im thinking this Suzuki 55hp Boats for sale UK, Suzuki Used boat sales, Suzuki Engines For Sale suzuki 55hp outboard engine - Apollo Duck

and this

4 Metre Avon Searider RIB/Inflatable on Galvanised Trailer | County Down | Gumtree

I can get the engine for 1200, might be able to shift on the sr4 but wont be by much.

so 2.2k, what do you guys think?

obviously i'll need a good look around but assuming they are both in good condition (have a feeling outboard might be better than good) i think it's not too bad, comparing to others that have sold as a package, which seem to go for 2.5k and more......

Im aware the boat will need some cleaning at the very least and would ideally like to try to restore the hull in time....
Old 02 July 2013, 13:44   #37

here's the mariner but im more and more convinced it's been resprayed and given the suzuki is the same price it's getting my favour...

Mariner 40hp Boats for sale UK, Mariner Used boat sales, Mariner Engines For Sale MARINER 40HP LONG SHAFT ELACTRIC START - Apollo Duck
Old 02 July 2013, 14:03   #38
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Well, the decals on the Mariner aren't right for the type of motor...However, the serial plate appears not to have been sprayed. Ask him the serial number, it might be an import, but it's definitely te older Yamaha manufactured twin cylinder.