Old 08 August 2003, 12:23   #1

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Seahorse V
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4
Engine: Mercury 50HP
Any Ideas, Mecury 50HP

Having a bit of trouble with my engine ( Mercury 50HP SN: 9233460 ). I suspect it is a problem with one of the carbs. I am about to strip them down and have a look. On one of the carbs. the mixture screw has no effect whatsoever. You can turn it in or right out and it makes no difference to the running of the engine. The engine also cuts out after about 10 mins use and is worse at full throttle. Onece it cuts out it is very difficult to start again and then runs very badly. It also holds back and coughs if you put more throttle on.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Steve.
Old 08 August 2003, 16:31   #2

Town: Cork
Boat name: Iago
Make: Cobra
Length: 5.8
Engine: Mariner 90 4-stroke
How old is that engine by the way?
It seems you have converged on one of the carbs for a reason.
Is this because you found that adjusting the mixture screw on
the other two carbs caused a difference in the running of the
engine?
Old 08 August 2003, 18:06   #3
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
just because the mixture screw makes no difference doesn't mean it has to the carb . It could be any number of things from faulty spark plug, to lack of compression. I would suggest a spark and compression check on all cylinders. There should be no more than 10psi difference between cylinders on the compressions.
Old 08 August 2003, 19:17   #4

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
Carburation

Mixture screws air screw are particuarly sensitive,I think you are looking in the right direction,I had a yam before which wouldnt idle when warm and was a pig to restart, I turned the screw in all the way and out its correct turns, it instantly cured the problem, 1 and a quarter I think, for the yam, you need to find out what is correct for each of your 3 carbs, Is it possible the orificae behind the spring loaded screw is blocked or gummed up, presenting no change when you turn the screw.Remove the screw stretch the spring and check for blockages,refit the screw and set correctly, remember these screws often vibrate open it can be a problem with high revving cheers gavin

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2003, 22:13   #5

Mercury 50 Carbs.

There are only 2 carbs on this engine and not 3. If I play with the mixture screw on 1 of the carbs it changes the running of the engine dramatically. On the other carb it makes no difference at all. It is a twin carb engine.

I suspect the carbs just because the feeling I get when it goes wrong. It just feels like fuel. I have experienced it in cars before. I am very new to boat engines but used to fix cars years ago. All the compressions are ok and the spark seems regular and strong. The higher I push the throttle the worse it gets. I have checked timing and that is Ok. I now have both the carbs in bits and currently soaking in some carb cleaner fluid. Everything looked Ok but I did notice that the floats were completely different settings on both.
Old 09 August 2003, 09:07   #6

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
carbs

I was thinking of my old engine which had 3 carbs, is the motor twin cylinder as well as twin carb, or does one carb feed 2 cyl, this might explain different float settings was there much crystalised orange powder in the carbs or where they pretty good

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2003, 17:24   #7

Carburettor

It is a twin carb 4 cylinder engine. It appears that I had 2 problems. The carb did have quite a lot of dirt in it which I have cleaned out. My running problems were caused by a thing called a 'stator'. Not a cheap part. I went and bought one and then had to pick myself off the floor when they told me the price, £231. It looks like this will cure all my problems.

I will keep you posted.