Old 05 November 2007, 08:50   #61

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Some of us can't afford the latest gear, with me it was money (new boat and old engine or New engine and old boat) and thought that a 2 year old DI with 40 hrs was a better bet than a 4/5 year old Opti or Yam HPDI with 400hrs, I've still a full BRP waranttee till next August so it was a no boner for me. I'm still comfortable with my choice Jono.

Not all of us have unlimited supplies of money

By the way Jono, not very nice to post harmless "Doctored" pics of others adverts.

How would you like to see PBS Ribs site altered in such a way....Not very proffessional is it?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 November 2007, 16:16   #62

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post

Why did you go for an ETec not a DI?
I was not even aware that you could buy a new DI

Judging by Andys' response above I'm not the only one that finds your "harmless banter" a little bit unecessary.

Sorry thats just the way I feel about it.
Chris
Old 05 November 2007, 16:47   #63

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
As I say if you cant have some harmless banter we had all better go and watch tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Not all of us have unlimited supplies of money
Correct but you cant put a price on safety.

The test of time will see.

Dont take me the wrong way, just harmless banter.

Jono
Old 05 November 2007, 17:12   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
just harmless banter.

But it's not harmless is it?

Your discrediting a brand of Outboard and affecting resale value, surly that's wrong. The problems are well documented with Evinrude as with loads of other outboards out there. I don't see you highlighting Optimax as being problematic, which it is! It's probably because you sell Mercury products.

I've made my choice after reading of the problems with the DI has had and after speaking with some very happy customers paid a lot of money for my outfit, if in years to come I want to sell Solent Viper I want to say to a prospective customer have a look at the thread Blue Venom thread, you can read all the history about the RIB there. Hardly a good sales pitch if they drag all this up.

I think you should be a little more professional, no other Trade members on this forum make such harsh comments about products.

I wonder what BRP would think if they found this thread.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 05 November 2007, 17:18   #65
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
But it's not harmless is it?

Your discrediting a brand of Outboard and affecting resale value, surly that's wrong. The problems are well documented with Evinrude as with loads of other outboards out there. I don't see you highlighting Optimax as being problematic, which it is! It's probably because you sell Mercury products.

I've made my choice after reading of the problems with the DI has had and after speaking with some very happy customers paid a lot of money for my outfit, if in years to come I want to sell Solent Viper I want to say to a prospective customer have a look at the thread Blue Venom thread, you can read all the history about the RIB there. Hardly a good sales pitch if they drag all this up.

I think you should be a little more professional, no other Trade members on this forum make such harsh comments about products.

I wonder what BRP would think if they found this thread.
If Jono's claims are true you will be on a new engine by the time you come to sell it anyway. If you are not on a new engine then it would suggest that either Jono is talking crap (or you have managed to get one of the better examples).
Old 05 November 2007, 17:35   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
If Jono's claims are true you will be on a new engine by the time you come to sell it anyway. If you are not on a new engine then it would suggest that either Jono is talking crap (or you have managed to get one of the better examples).
Too true

To be honest I am thinking longer terms with my new RIB and would like a partnership with it for many years to come.

I just don't think it's right for a Professional in the boat industry to be making these kind of comments on a public forum. People look up to these type of guys and whilst he may be true in part about what he says about this type of engine, it obviously is a biased one. One that most can see though.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 05 November 2007, 18:19   #67

Andy

Did you come on this forum and say "Should I buy a DI?" If so I wonder what the answer would have been?

I can only talk from experience, we do sell Mercury/Mariner as well as Etec, Honda, Suzuki and even Yamaha if you really have got to much money. But I would only sell something I have 100% confidence in and I'm afraid DI isn't that. I honestly believe if you buy a DI you will have more worries and Less Boating, I think somewhere down the line you have been poorly advised. What did the nice people who you purchased the boat off say about the DI's and Shaft Length suitable for the boat?

The test of time will tell if I'm "talking cr*p", but as you state you have warranty so what does it matter?

Sorry if you dont like what i'm saying, now im of to watch Emerdale followed by Corry before I upset ant one else .

Jono
Old 05 November 2007, 18:28   #68

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
[I think you should be a little more professional, no other Trade members on this forum make such harsh comments about products.

I wonder what BRP would think if they found this thread. [/QUOTE]

Personally i read these di comments, from the beginning posted by waverunner as sharring valuable information regarding the purchace of an expensive part of a rig, and i personally would value peoples findings.
What surprised me was the amount of problems people have had with this engine. When i looked to rig my rib, iread such posts and made my descision,
To say that Jono is wrong in expressing his views, even in the lighthearted way they were obviously intended is pretty perthetic in my view.
and for Chriss to say that no other member has acted in this way is in itself
a false statment.
On andys thread where he was asking for names of his boat, Garf posted a thread about not needing a name but the number of Sea Start as with that di
engine he would need them.
So i suppose this type of banter is exceptable.
Old 05 November 2007, 18:37   #69

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
The problems with FICHTs and DIs are sufficiently well documented for any prospective purchaser to draw their own conclusions irrespective of what's written in this thread. We cannot expect people to refrain from expressing their opinions on a forum, whether or not they be in the trade, speaking from experience, or just googling their findings. That's what a forum is all about - a lot of the content should be taken with a pinch of salt. Traders will always push their own products and consumers have a tendency to show brand loyalty, so opinions will always be mixed. Remember RIVA's comments on boats with Optis selling for less than equivalent boats fitted with e-tecs? Being an Ermintrood dealer, we wouldn't expect RIVA to say anything different.
Old 05 November 2007, 18:41   #70

Remember RIVA's comments on boats with Optis selling for less than equivalent boats fitted with e-tecs? Being an Ermintrood dealer, we wouldn't expect RIVA to say anything different. [/QUOTE]

So is that the reason my vipermax with the opti hasnt sold then, or is there some other reason that no ones telling me.
Old 05 November 2007, 18:43   #71

Sorry if you dont like what i'm saying, now im of to watch Emerdale followed by Corry before I upset ant one else .

Jono [/QUOTE]

Emerdale was good tonight wasnt it .Bugger missed the start of corry now
Old 05 November 2007, 18:49   #72

If we carry on at this rate, this thread will be longer than the pacific console change

In fact if you started a di running when we started the thread it would have gone bang by now and been replaced under warranty, having been back to the Rude dealer to have the oil primed through.

Better go adverts are over, corry back on.

Jono
Old 05 November 2007, 18:53   #73

TB,

The picture that Jono doctored were of Etecs not DI's so its not even as though he is being consistent in his slander he is now lumping all of Evinrudes current product line into the pot

In the same way that Jono wants to express his views I want to express mine. I disagree with Jono's approach however he is free to continue if he wishes and from time to time if his posts wind me up I will express my views too.

I am sure this post will soon be buried in the halls of Ribnet (until some muppet digs it up in 5 years and asks why DI's have a bad reputation)

I spoke to someone who is very knowlegable about Evinrudes having worked with them for 20 years plus and he was saying that the DI suffered from a bad reputation more from its heritage when it was called a FICHT apparently these were the engines with real problems.. then they bought out the FICHT RAM which resolved many of the issues (but not all apparently) finally when BRP took over from OMC they made some further changes and sorted out a lot of quality issues that OMC had experienced at this time the new version of the engine was christened the DI. He was not aware of the DIs having a particularly bad reputation.

Chris
Old 05 November 2007, 19:03   #74

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana View Post
So is that the reason my vipermax with the opti hasnt sold then, or is there some other reason that no ones telling me.
There are two reasons for this:

1. Not enough numbers on the engine

2. Not enough metal in the A-frame...........sorry I-frame
Old 05 November 2007, 19:07   #75

[QUOTE=Chris;225894] TB,

The picture that Jono doctored were of Etecs not DI's so its not even as though he is being consistent in his slander he is now lumping all of Evinrudes current product line into the pot

Correct. but I saw it for what it was , harmless banter. But if you read through the posts from the beginning He was very complimentary about the Etecs, just a pitty then that people have taken his views the wrong way.
Old 05 November 2007, 19:12   #76

I agree with what you are saying and I had read the thread from the beginning which to me made the picture even more unecessary.

It just got my goat.

Sorry
Old 05 November 2007, 19:13   #77

I think we can all agree on something, that Evinrude have got it right this time with Etec. A good friend and customer of ours has had 3 150 DI's in about 3 months under warranty before replacing both his engines with 175 Etecs, our local Evinrude dealer is a great chap and one of the best engineers in North Wales and has offered great support.

Whats the most hours anyone's as registered on a DI?

Jono
Old 05 November 2007, 19:22   #78

Town: Staffs
Make: Yam FX160 HO
Length: 3m +
Engine: Flippin Fast
Andy,

If you remember I started this thread after experiencing a very unhappy chap being towed into Weymouth, and I thought it may be useful information for any new or old rib enthusiasts that may be thinking of purchasing an outboard for their rib!
I thought the whole idea of posting threads on a forum like this was to provide information that might help prevent other people from making expensive mistakes like he had done. If you remember my post went on to say that the chap in question still had a month of his warranty left, and my guess is he still had a valid claim, and if the manufacturers of the Di are true to there word, his engine more than likely would be repaired or replaced, therefore probably no real harm done in the pocket, but it may have been a different story had he not been rescued from his dilema, which is another good reason for such posts.
Andy, I am sorry you seem to have taken this as a personal attack on your choice of engine but that was not how it was meant to be perceived. I placed the thread under the title "Engines" which I thought was quite apt cosidering what I witnessed. I can only suggest you do not read anything in future on a thread if you let yourself be drawn into some harmless banter by other members and take it personal.
As for Jono being expressed on this post as unprofessional, that is the biggest load of c**p I have heard, the dealings I have had with the guy are completely the opposite, and have found him to be very knowledgeable and experienced.
By the way Jono don't throw your teddy out because you have personally been slandered as being unprofessional, but then again, I know you don't mind harmless banter.
Old 05 November 2007, 19:22   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
There are two reasons for this:

1. Not enough numbers on the engine

2. Not enough metal in the A-frame...........sorry I-frame
1. wanted 175 ecu unit
2. not changing the pole yet as its a good little money earner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pole dancer.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	31134  
Old 05 November 2007, 19:29   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I agree with what you are saying and I had read the thread from the beginning which to me made the picture even more unecessary.

It just got my goat.

Sorry
Chriss no need to be sorry, youve just expressed your views as you see it.
But what you have managed to achieve is.1. two more pages on this thread,
and 2 made me miss the first half of corry. THANKS.