Old 13 April 2002, 23:19   #1

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Alternative propulsion

OK, we all have lovely well maintained engines and we all carry paddles but I have seen very few twin engine set-ups – mostly, I assume for the same reason that I did not opt for such a set-up (cost, weight etc. etc.). This appears to be an eternal debate, and not one I wish to rekindle, ‘coz I have what I have – only one outboard.

This bothers me – what happens when I am in the channel, on a lee shore with rocks in sight etc. etc. and the unthinkable occurs – engine failure, and despite the extensive tool kit I can’t get her going again???

The answer is simple – I use those trusty paddles against the tide and quickly get out of the way of Mr SeaFrance. I don’t think so - I pull out my auxiliary outboard and motor (OK, at displacement type speeds, but I still do move) out of the danger area.

My question is this – how many of you carry a second engine, and of what size, and where do you keep it? More specifically, I am looking to purchase such an item for my set-up but really don’t know what size to buy. Other queries running around in my head include the classic two or four stroke and more importantly where I am going to keep this chap for the 99.9% of the time – there is no way I can leave it on the transom because it is simply not large enough, the answer, I feel is a custom made marine-ply type cradle / box which can be strapped to the deck on expeditions more than a mile or so off-shore.

I also question the manoeuvrability of the aux. engine given the normal engine and A-frame mounts etc. – anyone got any experience of the mounting devices more commonly seen on yachts that space the aux. engine away from the transom?

Any advice and thought appreciated!

Daniel (only got one engine) Hawkes
Old 14 April 2002, 07:03   #2

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Hi Daniel
This subject has been debated extensively on this forum. Click on 'search' and type in aux, you will find threads and postings with a wide variety of comments.
Cheers
Old 14 April 2002, 07:08   #3

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Hi Daniel

When you are doing your search as Charles suggests here is a tip that will make it easier:

At the very bottom of each page you will see an option 'Show Printable Version'. Click on this and you will get a simplified layout but the whole thread will be on one page which you can then scroll through. This saves you loading page after page.

Good luck.

Keith (my main engines the size of your auxillary) Hart

PS Keep on posting
Old 14 April 2002, 09:26   #4

Town: Devon
Make: Avon
Engine: 90 mariner
AUX. Humour.

But,
Keith (your humour is larger than a Yanmar big diesels thing) Hart,

Russell
Old 14 April 2002, 22:00   #5

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
Hi Russell (and Keith)..
You dont have to get a big engine for an auxiliary. I used to use a 5HP but it was too heavy to lift on and off of my SIB ( at 3.1m mines even smaller than yours Keith) so now I've got a Suzuki 2.2. It does 8-9 knots (one-up on the plane!) on the SIB, about 4.5 knots on the 4m Searider and just under 4 knots on the Humber Ocean Pro 5.5. Much better than paddling!
Old 15 April 2002, 12:14   #6

Town: Lochgilphead
Boat name: Rannsachair
Make: Shetland Alaska
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50 and F4
Aux. Engine

On my 4m Searider I used to carry a 4Hp backup on its side, located by a bracket screwed to the deck - I simply used the motors transom screws to secure it to the bracket.

On my Redbay 6.1, I carry a 8hp backup on the transom - though with the leg in board of the boat in rough weather.

To avoid starting problems through lack of use I have always used my backup engine on my sons tender - this ensures it is regularly started - though it can be a hassle lifting it on and off!
Old 15 April 2002, 16:42   #7

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Thanks guys, have searched the archives for 'aux' and am considering buying a Yamaha 5, mainly 'coz Alan is selling one on this site - but it seams about the right size.

Have arranged to borrow a Merc 5HP at the weekend to see how useful it is on my boat.

Will keep you posted...

Danny

« Tacho's | Top | Prop size »