Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 05 June 2017, 14:59   #21

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Separately, but try it as an outfit maybe on or above what you paid. Have you messaged Nugent yet? My advice too was, bigger/more able boat stop delaying the inevitable [emoji568] [emoji568] [emoji3]
Old 05 June 2017, 15:32   #22
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie.harker View Post
Would it be better to sell boat and motor together or separately?

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule either way. It can be easier to sell as a package, but you might get more for them separately.

I'd be inclined to offer it as a package at whatever it owes you and take it from there. You can always negotiate to sell them separate if needs be.
Old 05 June 2017, 16:05   #23

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
That 15 that nugent is selling is an absolute steal I'd buy it and put it on your current boat until you can upgrade, just be carefull with the throttle and you'll be fine it's the same weight as the 9.9 anyway.
The engine is too good to mis while contemplating
Old 05 June 2017, 16:33   #24

Town: Chester
Boat name: Impulse
Home from work now and got OH to read the thread.
You have certainly intrigued him.
After buying this boat we saw Bestway Hydro Force Mirovia Pro Boat | Costco UK - in Costco
Opinions on this cheapish replacement?
Old 05 June 2017, 16:48   #25

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Home from work now and got OH to read the thread.
You have certainly intrigued him.
After buying this boat we saw Bestway Hydro Force Mirovia Pro Boat | Costco UK - in Costco
Opinions on this cheapish replacement?
Have you read the 'Which SIB..." sticky? Some useful info on there.
Old 05 June 2017, 17:08   #26

For the record, I understand it's a budget Chinese knock off essentially but so is the Europa. The OH is pretty hesitant to buy the boat second hand.
Costo has got a good returns policy - if in 3+ years time I decided it hadn't performed as I wanted, I can return it.

I have messaged Nugent about the motor.
Old 05 June 2017, 17:15   #27

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Katie you seem to have fallen into the classic first boat traps so far.... you can continue down this road or beat the ladder and get something suitable and enjoyable with some longevity.

Can i suggest you book a Powerboat L2 course as you will A learn loads and have a total blast, B get to play on the water with the proper tools, C gain loads of confidence and be able to make an informed decision.

I would either Buy the 15hp motor (£450 is a steal) put current rig up for sale and look for a larger boat withe proceeds (may find someone downsizing).

If you go on the river take the 4hp if you decide to get salty take the 15..... jut peel the 15 sticker off and its 10 with some guts.......

Another member is probably going to upgrade from a 3.3m with a 15 to a larger boat in a week or so the ideal package may be about to come up for sale.
Old 05 June 2017, 18:11   #28

Gari and I were discussing this very dilemma while out on the SIB the other day.
Do we get a 10hp now, upgrade boat later and then end up buying another motor down the line when 10hp wasn't enough for the bigger boat?

We were going on the basis that a good 10HP was going be £1200 as a minimum as it was so anything bigger again was going to be out of our price range for a long while.

We also didn't want to change the boat when we have only just paid £250 to insure, register this boat and 1 years licence for the River Dee.

How much difference with 0.3/0.4 of a meter actually make?
Old 05 June 2017, 18:50   #29

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
The length not so much but it will make is more stable especially in choppy water 2 up. Give you more space for yourself and gear. I'm no sib expert there are others here who have owned 2.8m to 6m+ and back again. Listen to them and be cheeky ask to go along out for a ride offer to pay for some fuel meet up go for a run people love talking about their boats telling anyone who listen about there boats.

Also ask insurance company what the deal would be if you changed same with registration might be admin fee to transfer and all done.

While Costco may have an excellent returns policy that's no good to you when the glue unsticks 3 miles off shore.....

For a tender it may be ideal for pottering along a river too?

You have some fantastic water right on your doorstep don't miss out by making another rash decision, perhaps stick with what you have for now enjoy the boat and motor and see how you feel in a couple of months your still very new to boating and have been bitten once already.
Old 05 June 2017, 18:56   #30

There are other Chinese boats available but the Honwave's are well built, stable have a decent keel (for a SIB) and hold thier value. Not sure the costo boat is going to have more than a sausage keel (flattish base) which is ok for rivers but not great for sea. Couple of examples here:

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263021422236

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122492018130

Not sure if anyone has mentioned there's an outboard for sale by a forum member? [emoji2]

You could have a think about the boats over the next few days/weeks but you're missing a good deal - assuming all tests are good - with the 15hp

Get the outboard as the banker, buy the costo boat and try that. As you say you can refund if you want
Old 05 June 2017, 19:21   #31

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Reason I asked have you read the sticky is that most of the info and advice we will all give you is there in a condensed form that the majority of us have learnt over many years combined.

In short, 90% of us end up with a big name brand 3.2, 3.4m or 3.8m SIB (mostly air floor rather than Ali floor) combined with a circa 15hp engine.
Old 05 June 2017, 19:31   #32

Am just reading through its first post, between being doing a dozen other things on the web. I am easily distracted.

Why do you most end up with an air floor when that first post says a rigid base has a slight advantage? Granted, that's one person's opinion and the first post of the thread which I am sure will be contested as I read through.

That first link is only 20 miles away from me but no pics.
And it still comes down to how do we avoid buying a lemon of a boat?
Old 06 June 2017, 08:06   #33

Rigid base is flatter to stand in/on, possibly wider than the equivalent boat with an air floor.

Due to weight of transport and the hassle factor of assembly/pack down the SIBS with solid floor coverings are usually kept on a trailer, one of the main reasons SIBS are chosen is for their portability so unless trailering suits that's roughly how folk end up with high pressure air floors

Consider age of boat, owner of boat, visual appearance of boat, actual hands on inspection - go over all seams, crevices, rings etc - slow and thorough. If the owner is up for it take a spray bottle with diluted soap/water mix and have a spray around, any bubbles need a repair.

eBay offers buyers protection, look into that. I bought mine based on research, great help and advice from this forum and a chat with the owner. I arranged a courier for £50 Yorkshire to London and no dramas. It was what he said, two years later no issues on a 10+ year old Honwave

I'm not biased to that brand it's just what I know, they are not the best design but not the worst the build quality is good if not great on balance of cost. Zodiac, Quicksilver, Honwave, Wetline, Excel, Avon, Seapro are amongst other brand names that pop up
Old 08 June 2017, 21:35   #34

Someone was meant to come and view Nugent's motor today so I figured it'd be sold but I msg to ask. Just our luck, they hadn't come to see it.

So I am driving home from Birmingham.
OH dragged me straight out after work to do the 4 hour round drive. On a work night!
I blame you all.

But in all seriousness, thanks for pointing out that advert. Again.
On our 3rd motor in 2 months now.

We'll watch out for a bigger SIB but for now we will try the 15hp on our 3m one.
Old 09 June 2017, 07:24   #35

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Someone was meant to come and view Nugent's motor today so I figured it'd be sold but I msg to ask. Just our luck, they hadn't come to see it.

So I am driving home from Birmingham.
OH dragged me straight out after work to do the 4 hour round drive. On a work night!
I blame you all.

But in all seriousness, thanks for pointing out that advert. Again.
On our 3rd motor in 2 months now.

We'll watch out for a bigger SIB but for now we will try the 15hp on our 3m one.
lovely motor for the money enjoy