Old 15 August 2013, 19:19   #1

Town: Portland
Boat name: rekrab
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard 50 Mariner
All revved out

Hi, I have a pioner multi with a 50 Suzuki 4 stroke. Unfortunately, not sure what prop I have fitted, as boat still in water. However, I am finding that the engine is maxing at 4,000 revs. Is anybody able to advise is this is about right, or should I get more revs. Appreciate prop may make a difference, so will hopefully check that at weekend. Also noticed that the controller has about 45 degree of movement, before it starts to increase revs. Any advise on the set up of prop and. Cables would be appreciated. Many thanks Paul.
Old 15 August 2013, 19:25   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Hamster on here might be able to provide info on this.
Old 16 August 2013, 07:20   #3

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
It sounds to me like the cables need adjusting. The prop would have to be seriously mismatched with the type of boat to hold the revs that low?
Old 16 August 2013, 15:37   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
There are many things in the engine that could cause that, but as lightning says, sounds a lot like either a slack cable or something loose in the throttle mechanism.

First pop the lid off the engine, & hard port or stbd it so you can see the cable ends.

Push the lever from neutral into Fwd. Only the gear cable should move. As of then, there should be instant movement on the throttle cable. Same thing should happen in reverse.

If you aren't getitng that then threre is somethig loose inside your remotes. Unless youve taken them apart before, post back - there's a couple of useful tips to doing that without loosing half the bits...... Also lots of plastic bushes in there, so when they have all worn a little bit the looseness all adds up through the mechanism.

If, however, the engine ends of the cables move properly, you'll need to follow the linkages through from the end of the cable to the throttle looking for slack. Not sure if your engine has this, but on the old 70s Johnsorudes they had a cam follower which regularly lost it's roller, introducing half a roller's width of slack into the throttle movement......
Old 16 August 2013, 18:50   #5

Thanks for all info, will try and get down to boat and have another look. I got to check the prop this afternoon, it is an r1400. Apart from made in Hong Kong, that is the only marking on the prop..
Old 16 August 2013, 19:30   #6

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Get the throttle squared away first. You may not be reaching full RPMs on the motor due to a lack of fuel (nothing to do with the prop).
Old 18 August 2013, 16:53   #7

Thanks, took the controller apart, throttle cable was not seated properly, so was not picking up till late on the lever movement. Cheers