Old 05 September 2010, 10:48   #1
TMB

Town: Weymouth
Boat name: Amelia
Make: Atlantic 21,3x SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x75,2x40,90hp
90hp Tohatsu vs 90hp Yamaha

I have a A1 Condition Searider 5.4m without an engine. I also have a 2004 90hp Tohatsu with 77hrs on it. It is in the best condition. I have the engine sat on my Driver 560(speedboat). My Predicament - I am a huge fan of Yamahas. I currently have 2x 75hp Pro on my Atlantic 21, 1x 80hp on one 5.4m, 2x 40hp on my other 5.4m. Apart from the 80 with a stator problem they have been the most reliable and best performing engines.
Now do I sell my Driver and Tohatsu 90hp to then find a Yamaha 90hp of similar age?
Any thoughts would be most appreciated
Have a look at my website for pictures of the boats named above.
Old 05 September 2010, 12:06   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
for longevity it has to be a yammie 2 stroke. the Tohatsu's are good enough engines but they are not made to the same tolerances or finishing as a Yammie.

I'd put either on my boat but i'd be prouder of the Yammie, if you know any experienced Zapcatters ask em what the first thing they do is with a Tohatsu, If I recall correctly it's take the engine apart and rub off all the moulding flashes, now that's the kinda thing I like a manufacturer to do.

Having said all that if I enjoyed the driver then I'd be keeping it and sticking the tohatsu on the Searider andlooking out for an old 90 for te driver

I love twins are your twin 40's contrarotating. We put twin tohatsu thirtys on a 4.7 which lives on a tug in Poole and boy did it look snazzy, the Rib not the Tug
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2010, 12:21   #3
TMB

The driver is an absolutly cracking speedboat. So much better than my Ring 18. Having said that, I dont think the 90 does it justice. It needs a 150. The reason we whack tohatsu 50's on the Zapcat is it is so light and powerful for a 50hp. We use them on our 4.7m Zodiac in the Marines so we can lift them with one man.
I am still massivly stuck what to do!
I am very chuffed with my twin setups, They are so handy for teaching and redundancy, its great. Unfortunatly the engines are not counter rotating yet. But I might get round to changing the setup.
Old 05 September 2010, 12:57   #4

Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard 150
you should have bought my searider for the engine alone! It sold this week with 67 hours on a 2006 yamaha 90, brings a tear to my eye!
Old 05 September 2010, 13:02   #5
TMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
you should have bought my searider for the engine alone! It sold this week with 67 hours on a 2006 yamaha 90, brings a tear to my eye!
What did you sell it for?
Old 05 September 2010, 13:12   #6

Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB View Post
What did you sell it for?
It was too small for what I now need. Want something about 6.0m with a yamaha 4 stroke! Would have loved to have kept it but cant have 2 boats at the house.
Old 05 September 2010, 13:35   #7

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Just happen to read an old magazine test comparing various 85-90 hp 2 stroke carb engines. In that test Yamaha 90 was slightly faster than the Tohatsu 90, but substantially more economical (both engine had standard props). One the pdf cant find the year the test was performed, but can be mid -90

I hope to have more practical experience of the Yam 90 in near future.....
Old 05 September 2010, 14:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB View Post
The reason we whack tohatsu 50's on the Zapcat is it is so light and powerful for a 50hp. .

sorry buddy I meant the guys racing them, they have to put Tohatsu's on for homologation purposes, although they do the job superbly. How many 50's have you whacked on yur zapcat?

I think the answers in your threads keep the Tohatsu stick it on the Searider and get an xr2 or old merc 150 for the driver when you can?

Re Hector he's a worry hes sold his Searider and he's talking about buying a Humber!
Old 05 September 2010, 16:21   #9
TMB

Re Hector he's a worry hes sold his Searider and he's talking about buying a Humber! [/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. I have had a humber and they are a heap of S**t. (sorry for all those who have one). You cant even compare the two brands. I have been racing zapcats for years now. I have been through many engines, but they are very forgiving. I think you are right about the XR2 on the Driver.
:Still unsure about keeping the tohatsu though.
Old 09 September 2010, 21:05   #10

Give my regards to Radar when you see him, is he still the Race Director

If it helps your decision process be aware that hHector/cCnumbs yammie powered boat overtook this on the Mi last night, .
http://www.santapod.co.uk/dr_stand2010detail.php?ID=47
Old 09 September 2010, 21:42   #11
TMB

I will hopefully find out. I am looking to join the Royal Marine team soon. I have come to the decision of selling the tohatsu. Thanks for the great advice!
Old 10 September 2010, 08:05   #12

Town: Cairns
Boat name: KAHUNAS
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: 30 Tohatsu
MMSI: wft is a dsc mmsi ?
I would have said to keep the Tohatsu. You allready had it, and admittedly there was nothing wrong with it, so i don't see any sense in getting rid of it?

Tohatsu seem to get a bit of a bad rap from people all over the world.

So what if they are a cheaper motor, they're meant to be. They are more simplified in design, cheaper to purchase, cheaper to service, and cheaper to replace parts, meaning overall they are far cheaper to run.

I've seen (and i'm sure others have) many a time where a more expensive make, be nothing but problems, and the cheaper alternative offer nothing but trouble free running, and also vice versa ofcourse. Which goes to say that there is no guarantee that one make vs another be any better, more reliable, or perform any differently.

Aside from regular maintenance, it's a bit of pot luck also. The fact that you allready had the Tohatsu, knew it's background, and had no major issues with it, i would have been more inclined to stick with it.
Old 10 September 2010, 14:48   #13
TMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus_Boy View Post
I would have said to keep the Tohatsu. You allready had it, and admittedly there was nothing wrong with it, so i don't see any sense in getting rid of it?

Tohatsu seem to get a bit of a bad rap from people all over the world.

So what if they are a cheaper motor, they're meant to be. They are more simplified in design, cheaper to purchase, cheaper to service, and cheaper to replace parts, meaning overall they are far cheaper to run.

I've seen (and i'm sure others have) many a time where a more expensive make, be nothing but problems, and the cheaper alternative offer nothing but trouble free running, and also vice versa ofcourse. Which goes to say that there is no guarantee that one make vs another be any better, more reliable, or perform any differently.

Aside from regular maintenance, it's a bit of pot luck also. The fact that you allready had the Tohatsu, knew it's background, and had no major issues with it, i would have been more inclined to stick with it.
Thanks Bus Boy,
I appreciate all your thoughts on the matter!