Old 09 September 2010, 17:42   #11
TMB

Town: Weymouth
Boat name: Amelia
Make: Atlantic 21,3x SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x75,2x40,90hp
I will hopefully find out. I am looking to join the Royal Marine team soon. I have come to the decision of selling the tohatsu. Thanks for the great advice!

Old 10 September 2010, 04:05   #12

Town: Cairns
Boat name: KAHUNAS
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: 30 Tohatsu
MMSI: wft is a dsc mmsi ?
I would have said to keep the Tohatsu. You allready had it, and admittedly there was nothing wrong with it, so i don't see any sense in getting rid of it?

Tohatsu seem to get a bit of a bad rap from people all over the world.

So what if they are a cheaper motor, they're meant to be. They are more simplified in design, cheaper to purchase, cheaper to service, and cheaper to replace parts, meaning overall they are far cheaper to run.

I've seen (and i'm sure others have) many a time where a more expensive make, be nothing but problems, and the cheaper alternative offer nothing but trouble free running, and also vice versa ofcourse. Which goes to say that there is no guarantee that one make vs another be any better, more reliable, or perform any differently.

Aside from regular maintenance, it's a bit of pot luck also. The fact that you allready had the Tohatsu, knew it's background, and had no major issues with it, i would have been more inclined to stick with it.

Old 10 September 2010, 10:48   #13
TMB

Town: Weymouth
Boat name: Amelia
Make: Atlantic 21,3x SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x75,2x40,90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus_Boy View Post
I would have said to keep the Tohatsu. You allready had it, and admittedly there was nothing wrong with it, so i don't see any sense in getting rid of it?

Tohatsu seem to get a bit of a bad rap from people all over the world.

So what if they are a cheaper motor, they're meant to be. They are more simplified in design, cheaper to purchase, cheaper to service, and cheaper to replace parts, meaning overall they are far cheaper to run.

I've seen (and i'm sure others have) many a time where a more expensive make, be nothing but problems, and the cheaper alternative offer nothing but trouble free running, and also vice versa ofcourse. Which goes to say that there is no guarantee that one make vs another be any better, more reliable, or perform any differently.

Aside from regular maintenance, it's a bit of pot luck also. The fact that you allready had the Tohatsu, knew it's background, and had no major issues with it, i would have been more inclined to stick with it.
Thanks Bus Boy,
I appreciate all your thoughts on the matter!