Old 07 April 2012, 14:44   #41

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
[QUOTE=spartacus;454878]Did you speak to Tony Hole Marine regards the fuel filter? That kind of stuff is fairly basic, and the 'o' ring should have been replaced as a matter of course. [QUOTE]

Not yet... I only found this today when looking at the other issue related to the IAB valve.

The thing is now that I have had this experience I am wondering what else did they not do? I asked them to check the Cambelt and do all the other stuff that you would expect at a major service. At the moment I am thinking did they even bother?

Regardless of whether they did or did not do what I asked I feel it has been a complete waste of time and money getting it serviced.

Should have just done it myself in the first place.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2012, 14:50   #42

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
In fairness we've put quite a few jobs through THM (not just Honda's) and they have been fantastic. Cannot fault them. Tony, Dennis & the team are always helpful, upfront and polite!

Not the cheapest but then when you see their workloads you can see that everybody trusts them. Perhaps it was an oversight or honest mistake.

Have you used them before ? What were they like that time ?

Old 07 April 2012, 15:15   #43

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
They were very polite and Tony seemed like a very knowledgable chap on the phone and when I met him. However... when I am bobbing about in my drysuit after having to abandon a burning boat then I dont really know how thats going to make me feel any better..

Like I said if you want it done right then do it yourself.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2012, 15:56   #44
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Every time I read about poor service work, I remember the early chapters in Robert M. Pirsig's "Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". Condensed: Uninvested men with a head full of clutter don't give their all to the job in hand.

I know next to nothing about motors but I'm leaning toward "self-service"
Old 07 April 2012, 16:57   #45
RIBnet supporter

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
I think it helps if you have a bit of knowledge and try and get someone to come to your place so you can watch them do it.
Old 08 April 2012, 02:53   #46

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by discomick
I think it helps if you have a bit of knowledge and try and get someone to come to your place so you can watch them do it.
If they come to you and you make the tea - x. If you watch - x + 20%. If you assist and advise - x + 50%
Old 08 April 2012, 03:40   #47
RIBnet supporter

That's it don't forget the bacon butts I have had my tintent services at home for years now 147 same chap is doing my boat trailer as well Pennine marine will do the outboards but I will do a lot myself things like gear oil , plugs etc
Old 08 April 2012, 04:23   #48

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Dave, whilst I think you are trying to help, you are coming across as a little belligerent. Not sure if there is a pact amongst Honda dealers that stops you saying; I think you need abc every how many hours, and it will cost you xyz ;-)

I just had a quick look at a random honda90 manual online and there are services advised every 100, 200 and 400 hrs. It looks like there are no parts changes (unless necessary) at 200 hrs, only oil change (not filters though?) and even at 400 hrs that manual implies a mechanically competent owner can do the service themselves, with the right tools and parts.

If that's right and you either save adi thousands (or help him discover he is still warranted DIY-ing) and/or that Honda full services are 4x less frequent than some other brands etc, I'd have thought you would have done a great service to Honda and improved your reputation on rib.net (and amongst adi's fisherfolk contacts) but simply repeating that he is wrong and to call you to sell the engines is getting dull.

Not sure how we can help when he refuses to call and then asks for something he does not need and has no intention of buying as he just had it done.

Sorry if that is belligerent or offence but I can not make him call and I can not help him if he doesn't.

I am not saying i am right here but we dont have any customers who refuse point blank to speak to us.

Dave
Old 08 April 2012, 04:51   #49
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart

Dave, whilst I think you are trying to help, you are coming across as a little belligerent. Not sure if there is a pact amongst Honda dealers that stops you saying; I think you need abc every how many hours, and it will cost you xyz ;-)

I just had a quick look at a random honda90 manual online and there are services advised every 100, 200 and 400 hrs. It looks like there are no parts changes (unless necessary) at 200 hrs, only oil change (not filters though?) and even at 400 hrs that manual implies a mechanically competent owner can do the service themselves, with the right tools and parts.

If that's right and you either save adi thousands (or help him discover he is still warranted DIY-ing) and/or that Honda full services are 4x less frequent than some other brands etc, I'd have thought you would have done a great service to Honda and improved your reputation on rib.net (and amongst adi's fisherfolk contacts) but simply repeating that he is wrong and to call you to sell the engines is getting dull.
I agree this thread is getting boring we need some stickies up for engine servicing so we can what gets done at how many hours if that makes sense.
Old 08 April 2012, 04:59   #50

Town: Plymouth / Portsmouth
End of the day Honda make outstanding outboards. If servicing costs are high at your local dealer take it to an independent marine dealer or someone local who knows their way round an engine.

I personally service all my own engines cars & boats with a manual you can't go far wrong. But I don't have the problem o having to go to a dealer to keep a guarantee valid etc. I wouldn't even if i had the to buy new as they are so reliable I doubt you even need the warranty anyway!