Old 02 April 2012, 08:19   #21

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Willk . I had no call, shame as the engine he is slagging off I just put on my own boat
and lets just say that when I opened her up for the first time I was that happy I smiled so wide my ears fell off.

pics of the new engine Clyde Outboard Services - Local Business - Gourock, United Kingdom | Facebook

oh that is Cameron not me in the picture as you would need a wide angle lens to take one of me from that distance

mmmm still need more 2nd hand Honda's in for sale hint hint and 2 would be very nice hint hint and even better if the current owner thinks they are rubbish and they cost silly money to service hint hint so is selling them cheap. 0759 563 8185 RING ME

Dave
Old 05 April 2012, 20:29   #22
ADI

Town: scotland
Make: a few
Engine: outboard / inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI View Post
Dave,

I have stated the facts about my Honda servicing costs on my posts.

I have never said my Honda engines are not reliable or any good or slagged them off. I have only stated that they are expensive to service.

I am not selling my engines Dave, it was just a flippant remark, you have to take it in the context it was written in.

You keep saying I'm wrong but I have stated the fact's about my Honda service costings.

If you think I'm wrong please prove what I am saying is wrong and that if I used Clyde outboards my service costs would be any less.

Clyde outboards:

Please see above:

Unless your reading a different post from mines I have never slagged off the use of my Honda engines. I have only stated the facts about the cost of their service, which I think is expensive.

You say I'm so wrong in so many ways.........yet you have never came back with a reply to prove me wrong.

Willk, Your statement rings true:

There's a subtle difference:

An Amateur Fisherman ( now professional, thanks Willk) lies about the cost of his servicing to his mates because.........................They will think he's an idiot paying that much for service

A Professional Dealer is in denial about the service charges because...................he knows if he explained the true costs of service he might lose a sale.
Old 05 April 2012, 22:55   #23

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Just service it yourself and stop whining. ;-)

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2012, 10:25   #24

funny how

1: you are still wrong about the cost by miles
2: you are v happy to post the wrong costs on here but yet still have not called regardless of how many times I give you my number so clearly there is no problem or you would have called
3: Honda sales who are winning more and more market share all the time in the commercial market? Does that not give you a clue that you are wrong?
4: Your comment about a 2 year warranty being a bad thing and only designed to put money in dealers pockets is laughable at best. maybe this weekend there will be a huge rush of people buying lawnmowers, cars outboards etc that refuse to have a long warranty but some how I doubt it.

As you can probably tell by my tone at first I thought you had made a mistake and needed help or had a bad day and hence felt we should help you out. The longer this goes on the more I am convinced you just want to rant and that its not a real problem, as you REFUSE to even try and do anything about it.

Oh still happy to buy those 10 billion a year to service honda's( yes I can exaggerate by a huge margine as well) or help you if you actually want it but after your last post I will not hold my breath and just expect more rubbish to be posted.

Dave
0759 563 8185 ( yes I am even posting it again)

PS Not holding my breath!
Old 06 April 2012, 10:42   #25

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Rangers v Celtic

Again

Old 06 April 2012, 10:50   #26

lol I was born in Manchester and cameron supports his local greenock team! What I hope will happen is that instead of making up rubbish he will sell me the Honda's!

yes I know there is only a small chance as he just wants to rant but you just never know.

Dave
Old 06 April 2012, 20:32   #27
ADI

Town: scotland
Make: a few
Engine: outboard / inboard
OK Dave,

Can you give me a price to carry out a 200 hour service on my 2 x Honda 90 hp fuel injection engines using Honda parts as they are still under the Honda 2 year commercial warranty.

Parts
Labour

Assume I will bring the boat to you
Old 07 April 2012, 05:42   #28

You dont need a 200 hour service, so you now want to waste more of my time quoting for something you dont need.

I give up, I offered to help and all you want to do is waste our time please.

Dave
Old 07 April 2012, 06:23   #29

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Just a though but how much is a full service on a 90 Honda. Assuming there is nothing wrong with it. Don't touch outboards normally so I'm guessing drop gearbox. Impeller. Oil. anodes.
Engine. Filter. Oil. Plugs. General clean and check up. Cables wiring etc. just a close rough idea. Ta
Old 07 April 2012, 06:35   #30

When I had my 225 services recently the total bill cam eto £560...

However to be fair this engine had not seen a dealer I suspect for a number of years as it has only done 130 hours.

The thing I found that put the cost up was the fecking spark plugs at £27 each !

You can get the same sparkplugs for a lot less on ebay so my advice would be dont get these done by your dealer.

Born fiddler
Old 07 April 2012, 08:44   #31

Like yams an others it depends on what service and range from £50.00 to around £200 inc vat for a 90Hp which for commercial users they would claim back i.e before vat £40-160.00.

yams and Honda which are by far the majority of commercial engines also have a list of what should be done, must be replaced and what should be checked and replaced as required.

I think Suzuki are the same but we are not authorised for these and dont see many so this is a guess and should not be taken as fact.

There are also a few other factors for engines that are in locations where it would take any dealer days to get to i.e. some of the remote Scottish islands where Honda have been know to hep in other ways.

Dave
Old 07 April 2012, 09:35   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards
You dont need a 200 hour service, so you now want to waste more of my time quoting for something you dont need.

Dave
Dave, whilst I think you are trying to help, you are coming across as a little belligerent. Not sure if there is a pact amongst Honda dealers that stops you saying; I think you need abc every how many hours, and it will cost you xyz ;-)

I just had a quick look at a random honda90 manual online and there are services advised every 100, 200 and 400 hrs. It looks like there are no parts changes (unless necessary) at 200 hrs, only oil change (not filters though?) and even at 400 hrs that manual implies a mechanically competent owner can do the service themselves, with the right tools and parts.

If that's right and you either save adi thousands (or help him discover he is still warranted DIY-ing) and/or that Honda full services are 4x less frequent than some other brands etc, I'd have thought you would have done a great service to Honda and improved your reputation on rib.net (and amongst adi's fisherfolk contacts) but simply repeating that he is wrong and to call you to sell the engines is getting dull.
Old 07 April 2012, 09:44   #33
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards

Dave
Dave, whilst I think you are trying to help, you are coming across as a little belligerent. Not sure if there is a pact amongst Honda dealers that stops you saying; I think you need abc every how many hours, and it will cost you xyz ;-)

I just had a quick look at a random honda90 manual online and there are services advised every 100, 200 and 400 hrs. It looks like there are no parts changes (unless necessary) at 200 hrs, only oil change (not filters though?) and even at 400 hrs that manual implies a mechanically competent owner can do the service themselves, with the right tools and parts.

If that's right and you either save adi thousands (or help him discover he is still warranted DIY-ing) and/or that Honda full services are 4x less frequent than some other brands etc, I'd have thought you would have done a great service to Honda and improved your reputation on rib.net (and amongst adi's fisherfolk contacts) but simply repeating that he is wrong and to call you to sell the engines is getting dull.
Old 07 April 2012, 11:10   #34

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Well said Neil. Ado has helped many on here me included

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2012, 13:47   #35

When it comes to outboard engine dealers and servicing I have used a few for various engines.

Apart from Race Marine all of them were fecking useless.

I have just had the Honda serviced at Tony Hole in Plymouth and after spending £560 for a standard service without an impellor change I have just spent the morning looking into something that another dealer suggested may be causing us problems with performance and fuel consumption.

I then find that I have two major issues. The air box butterfly valves were completely siezed (as suggested by John at C-Power) this means that at 4000rpm these valves remained closed whereas they should open to allow better airflow into the engine. This is an extremely simple thing to check and can be done without even having to remove the covers, it then only took me 20 mins to free up the valves and linkage.

Then Whilst I had the covers off I ran up the engine to make sure all was good and it was at this point that I noticed a significant fuel leak. I followed the leak to a filter housing which had not been screwed on properly (screws were finger tight) and the o-ring was damaged and looked like it had not been replaced when they did the filter.

So this means that on our trip to Falmouth a couple of weeks back we were pissing fuel out the whole way there and back and were lucky not to have a fire !

I am not saying Clyde are no good what I am saying is that most of the outboard dealers in the UK are robbing bastards who endager peoples lives through poor quality, shoddy workmanship.

Get the manuals out and do it yourself, it's really not that difficult.

Born fiddler
Old 07 April 2012, 15:12   #36

This is what I was greeted with when I ran the engine. For the video I just turned the ignition on and as you can see when the electric fuel pump kicks in what is happening....

Born fiddler
Old 07 April 2012, 15:41   #37

Some pics of the offending part...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0486 (Medium).JPG
Views:	149
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	66909   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487 (Medium).JPG
Views:	182
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	66910  

Born fiddler
Old 07 April 2012, 17:57   #38

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
...what I am saying is that most of the outboard dealers in the UK are robbing bastards who endager peoples lives through poor quality, shoddy workmanship.
Did you speak to Tony Hole Marine regards the fuel filter? That kind of stuff is fairly basic, and the 'o' ring should have been replaced as a matter of course.

Reminded me years back when I put a Vauxhall Astra in to be serviced and found that there was still a mechanic's workshop ratchet attached to the underside of the car!

That's when I decided to service my own cars and outboards.
Old 07 April 2012, 18:00   #39

Town: Plymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus

Reminded me years back when I put a Vauxhall Astra in to be serviced and found that there was still a mechanic's workshop ratchet attached to the underside of the car!

That's when I decided to service my own cars and outboards.
At least that shows he did something to the car
Old 07 April 2012, 18:18   #40

Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIBaholic View Post
I am looking at a ribcraft rib 6.5 m in length that is equipped with a 90hp four stroke Honda engine and I am just wondering if anyone knows much information on this type and size of engines
Dont buy it .... that engine will be killed by that hull of that I am certain

I had one on a 5.7 Valliant, and it wasnt enough grunt for that ! (which wasnt such a deep v as the ribcraft and the deeper the v the more power you require). Sure it will get you across the bay ok if thats all you want it for, but if you want your RIB to handle right in most weather and sea, its way too small. Its because its a particularly gutless 4 stroke IMO. On the upside your fuel bills wont be so bad. Others will have their opinion, but that hull would closer with a 175