Old 04 September 2010, 16:05   #1

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
90 or 100???

Just sitting ruminating over the engine for a new 5.3 Ribcraft - and whether I can afford one!!! - and can't decide whether a 90HP will be more than adequate for inshore / coastal family cruising with enough oomph for some fun, or whether to put the max engine size - 100HP on.

Significant difference in price (c. £800) and weight (190Kg v. 155Kg)

I know the consensus is put on the largest engine you can afford / the boat will take.

What will be the real difference in performance and fuel - bearing in mind with children on board most of the time I won't be hammering at WOT.

Ribcraft seem to be favouring Suzuki which I believe to be a perfectly god engine.

What are the views / experiences of the Ribnet sages, and any Ribcraft owners?

LT
Old 04 September 2010, 16:38   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Ribcraft are Suzzy dealers, they're having another slice out of the engine. Put an Etec 90 on it, you wont regret it.
Old 04 September 2010, 16:48   #3

Engine: Honda 90HP
Ribcraft 5.3 with 90HP

I have a Ribcraft 5.3 with a Honda 90. Gives 40 knots with 4 up - when it is calm!

Planes happily with 9 aboard too! I think the Honda weighs 163kg
Old 04 September 2010, 17:03   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Put an Etec 90 on it, you wont regret it.
He may be right

146kg, loads of torque and returning about 0.75L/Nm at cruising revs. I like them so much that I got two
Old 04 September 2010, 17:45   #5

Thanks for the replies so far chaps.....

I know they'll make on the engine, but I'd prefer to pick new boat up fully rigged & fitted - controls, gauges etc etc.... I'm not into building myself & am no mechanical engineer!!!

my heart wants the max power, my head is saying it's probably not worth it!

90 will probably be more than adequate from what yuo guys are saying. I wouldn't want to do 40kts+ with youngish children on board.

Douglas can I drop you a pm with some Ribcraft questions?

Bob
Old 04 September 2010, 18:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post

90 will probably be more than adequate from what yuo guys are saying.Bob
Ok, I'll say it again. Etec 90.
Speak to Ian at Liverpool Powerboats, or any other Evinrude agent and get a price for a new Etec 90 rigged (fitted). Then get the boat less engine price from Ribcraft.

The Etec 90 will be a lighter and a gutsier performer than either of your Suzzy options and IMV give you a more desirable rig.
Old 04 September 2010, 19:48   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
If you're looking for a nearly new Yamaha F100 - there's one here, only 10 hours. Ain't no lightweight though at 170kg.
http://www.caleyboats.co.uk/283/Powe...rd-Engine-2009.
Old 04 September 2010, 20:48   #8

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
You'll only end up wanting more power next year, and knowing you can have the extra 10HP will gnaw away at you until you spend a load of extra money and do what you should have done in the first place.

You don't have to run around everywhere at full throttle, having the extra there just gives you the choice.

Nasher.
Old 04 September 2010, 21:22   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Tornado
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Suzuki
For what it's worth I have been delighted with the Suzy on my boat. VERY quiet, both at idel and WOT, loads of power, and semi reasonable economy (considering i don't spare the horses much !
Old 04 September 2010, 22:22   #10

Really appreciate the advice & views, not making the choice any easier!

Being used to running a 4-stroke I'm happy to stay with that although i appreciate the weight/power benefit of an E-tec (don't really want to spark off the 2/4 stroke debate again!).

My heart is I think with Nasher - max it and have no regrets....but the cost and extra weight are considerations.

I do also consider there are benefits in doing the deal with the one manufacturer, no issue on warranties, who's responsible for what etc......that one mighr get with a partial fit out with one, with engine / cabling / controls / balance / gauges being fitted by another. Yes I know there are lots of ribbists out there who mix & match & do own builds, I don't think that route is the one I want to take (coward!).

I obviously need a large whisky and consider overnight!
Old 04 September 2010, 22:48   #11

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 150 optimax
wont the extra 10hp be lost by the extra weight? i would give it another coat of thought before you decide, its unlikely you will have warranty issues with the boat, more likely to be the motor so if you do get it rigged elsewhere you will only be travelling to one place anyhow
Old 05 September 2010, 00:10   #12

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Add me to the 90hp Etec club

Though I think the new Suz 90 is pretty light as well?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2010, 00:36   #13

Town: Fareham
My thinking is that if you're a little tight on money and want the best possible bang for buck is to get Ribcraft to quote for a bare hull/tubes/seats and console (which they'll be happy to do), then motor it up to a reputable/local Evinrude dealer (should give you a cheaper deal) and get them to fit the 90 Etec for you. That way you keep the installation of the engine close to home or with your preferred dealer and all the subsequent servicing is done by your engine fitter. Plus you'll save on the servicing as 2 strokes are generally cheaper than 4 and you don't even have to service an Etec for the first 3 years to keep your warranty valid (will save you around £1000 of service costs over that of a 4 stroke).

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2010, 08:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
I do also consider there are benefits in doing the deal with the one manufacturer, no issue on warranties, who's responsible for what etc......that one mighr get with a partial fit out with one, with engine / cabling / controls / balance / gauges being fitted by another. Yes I know there are lots of ribbists out there who mix & match & do own builds, I don't think that route is the one I want to take (coward!).
This is punter talk, on the likes of which Ribcraft prosper. If you had a warranty issue with the motor, would you to drag it
to Yeovil rather than take it to your nearest Suzuki agent?
If the answer is no, why not have your nearest Evinrude agent supply and fit an Etec? That way you'll have a supplier/customer relationship in place near home.

Your making rib building sound much more complicated that it actually is.
Ribcraft would be responsible for the boat/trailer warranty, the engine inc. all engine ancillaries would be covered by the supplier/manufacturer.

My Osprey was built nr. Wolverhampton, the engine was supplied and fitted in Liverpool, I live in West Cornwall. I had a warranty issue with the engine last week, it was excellently dealt with by my local Evinrude agent, 3m from my house.
Old 05 September 2010, 09:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
My thinking is that if you're a little tight on money and want the best possible bang for buck.
I think the opposite, having Ribcraft supply and fit everything is a good way of paying 'full list' for every component on the boat.
Old 05 September 2010, 09:44   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
ts unlikely you will have warranty issues with the boat, more likely to be the motor so if you do get it rigged elsewhere you will only be travelling to one place anyhow
I'm not sure I'd agree with that, there have been enough people reporting problems (with boats of most brands) that I wouldn't assume the boat doesn't need to go back to base for repairs to hull, metalwork or tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollers
I think the opposite, getting Ribcraft to supply and fit everything is a good way of paying through the nose for every component on the boat.
I think you need to put your reading glasses on - you and Hightower are actually in agreement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier
It should be quite clear which bits are who's responsibility and where the problem lies. Its not uncommon for boat and engine to be supplied by differnet people and I can't recall anyone ever reporting finger pointing like you're worried about going on.

I guess you might get into grey areas if e.g. a fuel tank sender is fitted in the tank by Ribcraft and then wired to a display by someone else. You're worrying about a few £50 components there, on a boat which will cost thousands, and where the "premium" you might be paying for a "one stop shop" outweighs it many times. If RIBcraft are talking up this side of things (I've no idea if its them, the "market in general" or just your own opinion) then I'd walk away from Ribcraft - a manufacturer whos trying to worm out of warranty before its built is not going to be good if needed. RIBcraft have supplied enough boats without Suzi engines that you're breaking the mould - or going into uncharted territory. IF Ribcraft ARE using this as part of the sales process for the Suzi, I'd also walk away - I'd want a builder / saleman who was interested in helping me get the right boat - the Suzi might be the right boat - but sell it on the advantages not waffle. Whilst RC are obviously great boats, they don't have a monopoly in the good tough boats market - and they need to be more open to fitting the right engine for you not them. Of course if this "its much easier if its all done in one place" stuff is not coming from RC - then I'd give them a call and tell them you are very seriously considering an Etec and need there help to make that happen.
Old 05 September 2010, 09:58   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
then motor it up to a reputable/local Evinrude dealer (should give you a cheaper deal) and get them to fit the 90 Etec for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I think the opposite, having Ribcraft supply and fit everything is a good way of paying 'full list' for every component on the boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I think you need to put your reading glasses on - you and Hightower are actually in agreement!
Oh he sees it, he just can't believe it...
Old 05 September 2010, 10:00   #18

[QUOTE=Polwart;368354]

Got 'em on now. Yep you're right.

Lakeland, please don't think that this some sort of 'ganging-up' exercise. We'd all like you to have the very best rig for your hard earned cash.
Ribcraft would fit a Suzuki on every boat they build for obvious reasons. No way is a Suzuki the best possible engine option for every boat that comes out of their factory, it's impossible. Suzuki are good engines, but IMV, not the best option for your rig.
Old 05 September 2010, 10:03   #19

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Spanner in the works

90 hp 3cyl opti. V quiet, economical, reliable, fast and cheaper than etec I believe.
Old 05 September 2010, 10:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
90 hp 3cyl opti. V quiet, economical, reliable, fast and cheaper than etec I believe.
Bang, bang, ding, ding, bang,ding, bang.