Click Here to Login

Old 10 June 2009, 09:17   #1

Town: West Scotland
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 115 TLDI
90 Mariner Optimax vs 90 Tohatsu TLDI

I know they're pretty similar but does anyone have a preference of one over the other?
Similar price. Tohatsu lighter. Mariner 5yr warranty, Tohatsu 3 year warranty. What is the better value, more reliable lump?

Thanks.
Old 10 June 2009, 11:30   #2
abc

Town: Gt Yarmouth
Boat name: No name
Make: Avon
Engine: OB 90 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
I know they're pretty similar but does anyone have a preference of one over the other?
Similar price. Tohatsu lighter. Mariner 5yr warranty, Tohatsu 3 year warranty. What is the better value, more reliable lump?

Thanks.
Watching this with interest, I am just about to make a similar choice.

abc
Old 10 June 2009, 13:14   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I really don't think there would be much to choose between them. I have heard great things about both of them.

If it was me it would come down to purchase price and the best deal I could get.

If that still doesn't help then the lighter engine would win - assuming it is a reasonable difference - failing that toss a coin!!!
Old 10 June 2009, 13:31   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
The opti 90 is a VERY heavy lump. Check the weight of the etec 90 or the TLDI.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2009, 13:50   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Flipping heck - 170kg for the opti - 145kg for the tohatsu and the Evinrude - no contest!!!

For me the Opti would be totally out of the mix - it would come down to the Etec as Nos says or the Tohatsu - again the best deal on the day would be the decider.
Old 10 June 2009, 21:31   #6

Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 90hp
Also worthwhile looking at dealer network for any servicing / warranty type issues (ie how close is dealer to you). Whilst I am really happy with my Tohatsu, anything major means it has to go back to the main tohatsu place (hassle removing engine and shipping it back but as a dealer they are exceptionally compitent).. I'm guessing that both of these engines need dealer type servicing.
Old 11 June 2009, 19:39   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
The opti will definitely use more fuel as well.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2009, 11:55   #8

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like the Tldi is the engine to go for. The lighter weight is a big plus. The Opti does have a 5 year warranty though. As for dealers I have a Tohatsu dealer about 1 mile down the road, the nearest Mariner dealer is about 20 miles away. So again the tldi comes top.
Seen a few advertised online. Bill Higham Marine are offering the 90 TLDI for just under 5k. Is that a good price? Anyone recommend Bill Higham Marine? Anywhere cheaper?

Thanks again.
Old 12 June 2009, 17:57   #9

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Anyone recommend Bill Higham Marine? Anywhere cheaper?

Thanks again.
Personally I would not give them the time of day. However that is not from experience just reading what people have said on here and other forums.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2009, 19:27   #10

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Never had a problem dealing with Bill Highman. He makes his money flogging engines to Manchester and Liverpool lads for there speed boats. He also has a huge stock of old spares which can be useful.

However he buys cheap stock and sells it at a high price, often seems to have Mariner and Tohatsu stock so perhaps other dealers clearing excess. You could argue this is a good business plan, it probbably is providing your not the customer looking for a gearbox for a 15 year old outboard and he is the only one who has one, because he will know that and price it accordingly.

Would I buy a 90 Tohatsu for less than 5 grand from him? yes, having shopped around to see if the price was one of the lowest.

Pete
Old 12 June 2009, 20:32   #11

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Ignore me I have an innate distrust of any and all outboard engine dealers

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2009, 23:15   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Ignore me I have an innate distrust of any and all outboard engine dealers
No I think you are right to be particularly suspicious of BHM's prices... they have a reputation for being overpriced, and certainly when I was looking for engines it was easy to find cheaper. But even though he is expensive he is still in business after a long time - which means he must be doing something right!

According to tohatsu that engine should cost about £2k more than BHM are lookign for though - so on this occassion his reputation would seem to be unfounded! http://www.tohatsu-uk.net/ http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/BHM314

Does the local Tohatsu dealer sell engines or just service them? I would pay a few pounds more (but not thousands!) to "build that relationship" with the guy I might need to fix it one day, or to get me spare parts etc.
Old 13 June 2009, 09:22   #13

The local dealer is service only.
If buying new, providing the dealer (BHM) ships a new lump then wouldn't any reliability issues be taken up with Tohatsu under their warranty and not the vendor? As far as I'm aware BHM would simply be selling me the engine and would take no further part in the process. I'll have a wee search on here for BHM and see other peoples experiences. Anyone recommend any (cheap) Tohatsu dealers?

Thanks again.
Old 13 June 2009, 09:27   #14

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
try extreme marine, they advertise on boats and outboards. Not near you but I think they may be a cheaper bet.
Old 13 June 2009, 09:39   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
The local dealer is service only.
If buying new, providing the dealer (BHM) ships a new lump then wouldn't any reliability issues be taken up with Tohatsu under their warranty and not the vendor? As far as I'm aware BHM would simply be selling me the engine and would take no further part in the process. I'll have a wee search on here for BHM and see other peoples experiences. Anyone recommend any (cheap) Tohatsu dealers?
I think legally any issue actually falls back to the vendor who sold you the engine rather than the manufacturer or his "dealer network"; but yes for routine warranty work then your local service agent should be able to arrange this. I really meant for servicing, non-warranty work, the new prop you need urgently because you just discovered it was shallower than it looked etc! My experience having bought a Yamaha on the internet is that the local Yam dealer isn't that interested in me/my engine (e.g. quoted me more than three weeks to "fit in" a 2-stroke service that will take him about an hour). But everyone I know who bought their engine there thinks they are great, really attentive, never have a problem getting their engine serviced etc. Might be a one off - but if doing it again I would spend the extra £100 and buy it locally.

The other thing to watch for when buying cheap on the net - is getting the right extra parts - e.g. the right prop (which a local dealer might be keener to swap for you) and the control cables (I think these are often not included on-line - but could probably be negotiated in a local order!).

However your local dealer doesn't "sell engines" and you have the chance to save significant £ - so its not the same issue.
Old 14 June 2009, 03:20   #16

Town: Athens
I am interested in this specific engine and in buying it from the UK.
BHM do seem to offer the lowest price European-wide, but there is always the question of trust... Can one trust them or in fact anyone else, to receive the money through bank-transfer and dispatch the goods ? What if they are in the verge of closing their business and just take the money and run ? Anyone had any similar experience ?
And one last question. How can they sell so cheap in comparison to anyone else in the country ?
Old 14 June 2009, 13:10   #17

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by axolotl View Post
I am interested in this specific engine and in buying it from the UK.
BHM do seem to offer the lowest price European-wide, but there is always the question of trust... Can one trust them or in fact anyone else, to receive the money through bank-transfer and dispatch the goods ? What if they are in the verge of closing their business and just take the money and run ? Anyone had any similar experience ?
And one last question. How can they sell so cheap in comparison to anyone else in the country ?
They are cheap because they opperate out of of an old church near Manchester, so low overheads. They buy in bulk stock which other dealers can't or don't want to sell so the purchase price is cheap.

As has already been said they have been going for many years, think it is a dad and sons plus staff business, there are always half a dozen working there. They have the biggest outboard stock of second hand engines and parts I have seen, so particularly useful for a part off an old engine.

I bought a Yam 90 gearbox off them which they had rebuilt. Ran fine although ended up paying through the nose because there were no others for sale at the time and BHM knew it. Also had some clocks and throttle control box off them in the past.

Are they going to disappear overnight? I doubt it. They have been going a long time, they buy cheap sell expensive which is probably a good business model for long term success.

As to waranties on a Tohatsu 90, well you could do worse than ring them up and ask, also ring Tohatsu UK, they are in Lymington.

Pete
Old 14 June 2009, 15:50   #18

Alternatively do you think this is a good price for the following;

EVINRUDE E Tec E90DPX direct injection, extra long shaft c/w side mount controls, trim/tacho Fitting engine including pre delivery service, supply and fit of h/duty sealed battery, s/steel battery fixing brackets, remote control cables, battery cables, extend fuel line, GRP cable protection tracking : £7881.

Thats what I've been quoted by Humber to supply/fit this to the new rib. They don't supply Tohatsu engines.