Click Here to Login

Old 16 January 2009, 21:17   #1

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
522 diesel filter suitable for petrol??

does anyone know if the crosland 522/cav296 type fuel filters are suitable for petrol?
they are fitted on just about everything british thats diesel, landrover jcb ETC ETC.
I want to use one on the SR but recall someone mentioning the glue in them would be attacked by petrol?
I have seen them on petrols but not sure how sucessful they were!
Old 16 January 2009, 22:04   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
No it is designed as a diesel fuel filter which is quite coarse micron wise,... ok for diesel but It will be not so good for petrol, particularly where an injection system is involved. That said it was usually fitted with a seperator bowl underneath it so it was good for water contamination removal, but for petrol NO!
Old 16 January 2009, 22:11   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Never had a problem running petrol through a CAV filter and have one on my Opti at the moment.

A previous post on the subject.

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...&highlight=cav

Pete
Old 16 January 2009, 22:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Never had a problem running petrol through a CAV filter and have one on my Opti at the moment.

A previous post on the subject.

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...&highlight=cav

Pete
Cant say I had the same experience Pete those Optis are fussy about fuel and how they get it IMO.. petrol injection systems need very clean fuel
Old 17 January 2009, 00:01   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I've got something similar as a water trap but it's not a CAV-it's got a coarse wire mesh filter in it. I've got a big inline fuel filter before the primer bulb (setup is tank-water trap-bulb-filter-engine though the filter isn't visible in the pic). It works very well indeed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image032.jpg (40.4 KB, 186 views)

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2009, 12:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Cant say I had the same experience Pete those Optis are fussy about fuel and how they get it IMO.. petrol injection systems need very clean fuel
Agreed, which is why I use the CAV as a first "course" filter before the fuel gets to the Optis own filter. The glass bowl also means I can see any water build up.

Pete
Old 17 January 2009, 22:42   #7

What does it take to get some people to agree with you on this forum .. Ok Pete I know you are saying its a primary filter in your case .. but it sure isnt a petrol one,.. you could have a sand bag as your primary filter if you wanted, and rigged it right.

A water seperator or aglomerator is good, but a 522 is a diesel filter.. end of story

*edit* ofcourse it will work but newer engines are ever more particular, so you pays your money and takes your chances. They have to meet ever more strict emissions, and the fuel filtering is a big part in the emissions output. I heard a strory last week that the new tier three diesels will have filters to 3 microns. A human hair is 10 microns so in my industry which is plant hire god knows what that will mean where people fill diggers with diesel from the brickies bucket
Old 18 January 2009, 14:43   #8

"Never had a problem running petrol through a CAV filter and have one on my Opti at the moment."

well it getting fitted then! its going on a carb engine as a water separater and a belt and braces in addition to the one in the powerhead,
If it filters fine enough for a diesel then its good enough for a carb engine, which as standard uses a coarse gauze. at the end of the day an injector nozzle is a heck of a lot smaller hole than a yam 90 main jet
my only concern was the guts dissolving in petrol and blocking the filter in the power head. there used to be a petrol filter available for this housing, but it is discontinued.
Old 18 January 2009, 14:51   #9

Quote:
What does it take to get some people to agree with you on this forum .. Ok Pete I know you are saying its a primary filter in your case .. but it sure isnt a petrol one,..
Agreed its a diesel filter and I haven't said otherwise but have said they work with petrol too. I like lots of folk on here just use them for petrol. Been using them since 1997 I think, never had a problem, they just work, filtering fuel.

Quote:
A water seperator or aglomerator is good, but a 522 is a diesel filter.. end of story
and your point is? why not have both, the glass bowl sorts the water and the course filter stops nasty stuff reaching the engine.

Quote:
*edit* of course it will work
Oh good at least we agree on that.

Quote:
but newer engines are ever more particular, so you pays your money and takes your chances. They have to meet ever more strict emissions, and the fuel filtering is a big part in the emissions output.
Couldn't agree more which is why we have a CAV filter first then the Optimax filter mounted in the engine. When I was using older carb engines I used the CAV filter on its own, but the Opti has its own cannister filter inside the engine so the fuel is filtered twice. So what exactly is your problem with my set up ? are you aware that an Opti has a full canister fuel filter inside the engine cover rather than the normal small plastic filter you may have on your Honda.

So in essence what does it take to get some people to agree with you on this forum? well I don't remember not agreeing with you. There is a cost element that is worth considering with this issue too. Price up a 522 filter from any cheap motor factors then ask you Merc/Mariner dealer how much an opti filter is. You don't want to change the opti filter more than necessary but a job lot of 522s are less than £3 each.

Pete
Old 18 January 2009, 14:58   #10

I remembered Coopers filters used to be in Abergavenny where i grew up and i knew someone who worked there.
definitive answer,
though Primarily designed for derv the filters are suitable for all fuels oils and spirits and filter down to better than 5um-7um.
so plenty good enough for a carb engine water separator,

At last i get to use a bit of Landrover on the SR
Old 18 January 2009, 15:13   #11

Good plan , pick up some spare filter to keep on board, at £3 each they are cheap enough to just change if you get water or muck in there.

Pete
Old 18 January 2009, 16:27   #12

i still have a slab of them in the garage! from the days when we used to buy 20 for £10!
I will keep a few handy! the reason i want an extra water filter is the Barrus grey tanks on the SR are prone to getting water in through the fuel gauges.
the standard non gauge lids are fine, and i paid £50 for the gauges and i have never kept fuel in the tank long enough to read the gauge!
Old 18 January 2009, 17:31   #13

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Just read the Crossland filter books for ya. There appears to be no differentiation between the filter medium for petrol or diesel. Both are currently 2microns pore size at 98.7% efficiency and have been since 2004. However, if you've got a pile of them from umpteen years back, there's no guarantee that the pore size was that small.

For info; oil filters are 10microns for 99.5% efficiency and air filters are 25microns at 99% efficiency.
Old 18 January 2009, 17:37   #14

cheers, thats pretty much what my mate said.
most of the crap thay dont stop is sub micron
Old 18 January 2009, 18:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Agreed its a diesel filter and I haven't said otherwise but have said they work with petrol too. I like lots of folk on here just use them for petrol. Been using them since 1997 I think, never had a problem, they just work, filtering fuel.

and your point is? why not have both, the glass bowl sorts the water and the course filter stops nasty stuff reaching the engine.

Oh good at least we agree on that.

Couldn't agree more which is why we have a CAV filter first then the Optimax filter mounted in the engine. When I was using older carb engines I used the CAV filter on its own, but the Opti has its own cannister filter inside the engine so the fuel is filtered twice. So what exactly is your problem with my set up ? are you aware that an Opti has a full canister fuel filter inside the engine cover rather than the normal small plastic filter you may have on your Honda.

So in essence what does it take to get some people to agree with you on this forum? well I don't remember not agreeing with you. There is a cost element that is worth considering with this issue too. Price up a 522 filter from any cheap motor factors then ask you Merc/Mariner dealer how much an opti filter is. You don't want to change the opti filter more than necessary but a job lot of 522s are less than £3 each.

Pete
Jeeze .. how long did it take you post that I aint never seen a petrol engined car/bike or what ever, fitted with a 522 yet,.. thats all I was saying in my original posts,.. and, like I agreed, as a prefilter, it would work ok, especially as an aglomerator, because of the sediment bowl fitting underneath.

But, as to Doggys original post, there was no mention of any other filter in his system for his Yammie, so I said no because its sold as a diesel filter, how complicated was that ?
Old 18 January 2009, 21:54   #16

Length: no boat
I use the Delphi 296 as filter and water separator for my E-Tec 200. I like the clear glass underneath the filter. Now water can be detected immediately. No problems with the motor so far.
But now I start thinking: as the filter is originally made for Diesel engines which are not as thirsty as petrol ones: can the filter deliver enough petrol at WOT? Anybody?
Old 19 January 2009, 08:45   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shthpnz View Post
I use the Delphi 296 as filter and water separator for my E-Tec 200. I like the clear glass underneath the filter. Now water can be detected immediately. No problems with the motor so far.
But now I start thinking: as the filter is originally made for Diesel engines which are not as thirsty as petrol ones: can the filter deliver enough petrol at WOT? Anybody?
I would think so. They are fitted to diesels in the 200Hp range and get enough flow to run them, AND return a considerable flow back to the tank down the return line.
if you pull one to bits and look at the surface area of the paper its massive, you could wallpaper your front room with one
there is a double length one available too.

Quote:
Jeeze .. how long did it take you post that I aint never seen a petrol engined car/bike or what ever, fitted with a 522 yet,..
i would think its down to cost, most petrol cars of the pre injection era only had a little plastic cheap filter, if a filter at all, the one in the yamaha powerhead may stop a dead spider but thats about it, its as cheap and crap as they could get away with. Modern injection cars use disposable ones too, expensive to replace, but cheaper initially as there is no housing, and lighter, lower part count on the production line. they dont need replacing very often either, petrol seems to be a lot cleaner than diesel in general.
I never changed the one on the corsa, its done 105,000now