Old 22 March 2012, 20:54   #1

Town: Wisconsin
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x Merc-135 OPtimax
430 SIB and Tohatsu M40C, working out the motor and prop?

A couple years ago I came across the videos of the racing inflatables that seem to be everywhere but the US, so It peaked my interest and I thought I would buy an inflatable to tear around with when I'm staying on my floating condo (Chris Craft Commander). Anyway I first bought a Saturn 430 inflatable (SIB, I figured when i could find the racing type I'd get one, but no one has them) and I ran it with a 25 evinrude while I searched for a lightweight 40hp shortshaft (max rating 40 hp), which turned out to be quite difficult. After about 8 months I bought a late 90s Tohatsu M40C. The motor starts easily but has the typical rough idle from not being used much. I cleaned the pilot jets today with carb cleaner and compressed air and it helped some but it's still a little rough, funny thing is that they seemed very clean. Can anyone give me any insight on getting this motor to idle smoothly? Also, when I was testing it today I hit something floating underwater and banged one my props blades over . The prop I was running could get the boat to 32 MPH with strong acceleration and it's revving too high so I need a new prop now anyway; any recommendations, brand, pitch? I can't tell what pitch was on it, seemed like a standard tohatsu (white) prop, there’s a marking that says 11 on it but have a hard time believing it was an 11 pitch, and I don’t think Tohatsu props are labeled in inches??? Thanks for any help you can give me, no one around me seems to know much about tohatsus or inflatables.