Old 15 September 2005, 16:35   #11

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by timboli
I have tried an AVON 620 with a Yamaha 150 4 stroke,top speed was around 43 knots,weight seemed Ok as boat handled well...
Wasn't this the one that nearly threw the passenger in the rear seat overboard? Oh yes, I see, it handled well!

(Louise didn't get that, I assume that you will!)

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2005, 16:48   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I am only 53 so I ain't old enough for a four stroke engine! I should be ready in about 12 years time!

However if you must by a four stroke than Yammies are difficult to beat!

nearly all motors (2 and 4 stroke) nowadays carry serious electronics which may affect reliability if the sensors fail!

I am the worlds no 1 Opti fan but I wouldn't recomend any one to buy the 115 opti (bleeding edge technology) cos they aint right yet!

Everytime I look at the Adeventurer hull I think that I wouldn't want to go fast in that so i think a big lump on one is a waste.

I'd give serious consideration to the Etec range and for out and out reliability I'd go for the yamaha V4 125 2 stroke. 135 Opti might be cool

Power to weight ratio is important on a smallish RIB so the weight of the engine is an important factor as is length of warranty

Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2005, 17:15   #13

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
All the info given is pretty accurate so far in my view other than 4 strokes are in no way more reliable than two strokes. When they stop they stop. One wont do it any more than the other. The noise thing, anything over 25 knts, all you hear is the wind thundering past your ears . So what does it matter what's hanging off the back. Personally I prefer a two stroke. The power delivery lb for lb is superior. As for fuel? The difference is not worth worrying about with a modern HPDI.
Old 15 September 2005, 17:23   #14

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
All the info given is pretty accurate so far in my view other than 4 strokes are in no way more reliable than two strokes. When they stop they stop. One wont do it any more than the other. The noise thing, anything over 25 knts, all you hear is the wind thundering past your ears . So what does it matter what's hanging off the back. Personally I prefer a two stroke. The power delivery lb for lb is superior. As for fuel? The difference is not worth worrying about with a modern HPDI.
4 strokes are better at low speed work arnt they? my honda runs all day without a sniff or a snort on the river speeding along at 5 mph, not sure what optis and hpdis are like doing this, if the chap does lots of fishing or trolling or plodding around this might be a consideration.
Old 15 September 2005, 17:26   #15

Good point, however our Yammie HPDI runs all day at tickover without complaining. A four-stroke would be almost silent at tickover though.
Old 15 September 2005, 17:37   #16

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Excuse my ignorance but why do so many people think that engine weight is an issue when buying a new Outboard? Sure you have to follow the recommendation of the RIB builder for the transom weight but does say 40kgs make that much difference?

When I replaced my outboard earlier this year I went from a 80hp 2 stroke that weighed about 135kg to a rather portly 90 Merc 4 stroke that weighs in at 175kg's. I get better handling and more performance and better economy as well as lower noise when I'm pottering around, on the negative side.......The throttle lever control sucks.
Old 15 September 2005, 17:39   #17

My Opti will troll at tickover ( 2.9 knts, perfect mackerel speed) all day and not cough once. Not quite silent, but a none to unpleasant kind of two stroke rattle! . No seriously, it's fine at tickover.
Old 15 September 2005, 17:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
Excuse my ignorance but why do so many people think that engine weight is an issue when buying a new Outboard? Sure you have to follow the recommendation of the RIB builder for the transom weight but does say 40kgs make that much difference?

When I replaced my outboard earlier this year I went from a 80hp 2 stroke that weighed about 135kg to a rather portly 90 Merc 4 stroke that weighs in at 175kg's. I get better handling and more performance and better economy as well as lower noise when I'm pottering around, on the negative side.......The throttle lever control sucks.
...and your missus has to sit with her arse hanging over the bow all day!
Old 15 September 2005, 17:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
engine weight is an issue when buying a new Outboard?
Depends how hard you drive it. Once you become airbourne, you want to fly straight and true. Landing R-send first isn't comfortable. And a tail-heavy RIB in a head sea is really, really tedious.
Old 15 September 2005, 17:48   #20

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
...and your missus has to sit with her arse hanging over the bow all day!
Don't be nasty.........

We always get lot's of reports of Mermaids in the area when she does....Or was it Whales!.....I never can remember!