Old 04 September 2003, 19:47   #21

Town: Port Logan
Boat name: Red Fox
Make: Zodiac Pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
MMSI: 232004329
My Suzuki 40 four stroke is a dream. It has one heck of a punch right from the off. The 50 is the same engine (nearly) which revs out at a higher level than the 40. It runs so quietly and compared with a Mariner 30 two stroke that I had, there is no comparrison. The 40 is miles better. It cruises flat out at 35mph as long as it is trimmed up a bit and will pull my lads (17 & 15) up on a tube or kneeboard just about instantly. The 30 couldnt manage it without a lot of effort and turning. So Suzuki would be my choice and a 4 stroke at that. The 50 would no doubt be a step up again...I believe Ribcraft are fitting Suzuki only from now on! A 40 might be fine on your boat and a saving on the 50 price...ring round and be prepared to travel for the right deal...play them off against eachother...it's surprising what you can get them down to. Just my 2p worth.
Old 06 September 2003, 20:32   #22

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Whitingiom,

E-tech technology is unique to Evinrude and was only introduced this summer. Nothing to do with Yamaha in this case. Also different from Ficht technology in that virtually no oil is burnt in the combustion cycle but is returned to the bottle in a similar manner to a 4-stroke sump. E-tech only available currently on 40,50,60,75 and 90hp engines,but will be introduced on full Evinrude range by 2005. The engines have lower emissions than current 4-strokes, no scheduled dealer maintenance for 3 years, but produce the punch of a 2-stroke. Developed under the ownership of Bombardier who also build jet aircraft, and the quality is said to be excellent.
Old 07 September 2003, 22:59   #23

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Took a quick look at those Evinrudes on the site, they do indeed certainly look the part. Here's hoping the performance meets or even exceedings the styling!
Old 09 September 2003, 11:11   #24

Evinrude Etec

Hi Phil

Talking to Jason @ Ribcraft, he thinks the Etec engines (provided they do what it say's on the tin !) will be the perfect engine for a RIB.

I may still go for a new 4.8 Ribcraft, & will seriously consider the Etec 60hp as an alternative to a 4 stroke.

I'd be interested in other people's opinions on this, & will open a new thread !

Regards