Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 May 2008, 11:51   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Oh there are quite a few. Where ever I have been in the world it's suprising how many British yachts you see.
I'll rephrase the question. How many yachts as a proportion of the total number go more than a few miles from their mooring more than a couple of times a year. And then only locally rather than crossing the Atlantic or even the channel?
I bet its a very small proportion of the total from any marina I know of.
__________________

__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 13:47   #12
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Oh there are quite a few. Where ever I have been in the world it's suprising how many British yachts you see.

This is the main reason I didn't buy a yacht. The temptation would be too great to go and pay Luxton or Bogib a visit!!!
Don't think all have departed from UK, you have UK territories like BVI with lots of British yachts cruising the Caribbean too. This small, reliable and insignificant engine, really pushes...

Happy Boating
__________________

__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 13:49   #13
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilean mor View Post
i used a little yam malta o/b - something like a 2.5-3.5 (escapes me now ) on the back of a GK24 (displacement 4000lb ) for a while, and it would use 3L per hour, in the flat, and travel about 4-5kn, so that's now the aux for the destroyer
Arr, it don't work like that

Your slippery hulled yacht was built to travel at 5 knots and had a hull shape to provide the minimum resistance at that speed. You rib however is designed to plane. So it has a squared off transom to encourage the water to break away from the hull giving you planing speeds. However your rib at displacement speed is not efficient and that squared off transom creates drag which is why you will need a few more hp to make it move with a little aux. The other thing you need to do is ensure the aux prop is well down below the hull because if the transom blankets the prop it will be very inefficient.

Pete
__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 14:08   #14
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
my other 18 ft hard displacent type boat will easly move at 5 knots with a 2 hp but when the tide turns or the wind gets up or theres a lumpy sea no chance ,its like with the old seagull engines ,low hp , high thrust propeller, and the engine buzzing away .infact its only last year that a 60 ft long narrow boat passed by on our local canal and they had a seagull on the back pushing a boat weighing tons .. only about 3 knots mind.
__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 15:11   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Arr, it don't work like that

Your slippery hulled yacht was built to travel at 5 knots and had a hull shape to provide the minimum resistance at that speed. You rib however is designed to plane. So it has a squared off transom to encourage the water to break away from the hull giving you planing speeds. However your rib at displacement speed is not efficient and that squared off transom creates drag which is why you will need a few more hp to make it move with a little aux. The other thing you need to do is ensure the aux prop is well down below the hull because if the transom blankets the prop it will be very inefficient.

Pete
Spot on.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 15:12   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
my other 18 ft hard displacent type boat will easly move at 5 knots with a 2 hp but when the tide turns or the wind gets up or theres a lumpy sea no chance ,its like with the old seagull engines ,low hp , high thrust propeller, and the engine buzzing away .infact its only last year that a 60 ft long narrow boat passed by on our local canal and they had a seagull on the back pushing a boat weighing tons .. only about 3 knots mind.
I wonder how long they would take to stop though???
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 15:35   #17
Member
 
rickuk3's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leighton Buzzard
Boat name: Phoenix
Make: Osprey Eagle
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 75hp
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I wonder how long they would take to stop though???
approx 240ft and just under 60 secs !!!
__________________
Inland Dayboat & Charter Hire
Chandlery and GRP mouldings
www.cosgrovenarrowboats.co.uk
rickuk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 15:53   #18
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
This is the main reason I didn't buy a yacht. The temptation would be too great to go and pay Luxton a visit!!!
He might see you coming though.. and be standing on the beach with his Lee Enfield
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 17:12   #19
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
That's what a Hercules is for
have you ever travelled that far in a herc?
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 17:22   #20
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
have you ever travelled that far in a herc?
I wasn't suggesting accompanying the boat on one
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Member's RIBs

MI9

MI9

Keamore

Ribliam
Add your RIB



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.