Old 03 March 2008, 19:13   #21

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by marwan View Post

I think i will go with the 4.2, seeing that in most cases we are really 2 people and on rare occasion maybe 3 or 4, also the seas are relatively calmer in the area i intend to use it..but again on occasion could be a bit rougher...
the 4.2 m will give me the comfort of space and maybe more piece of mind in case we need to go further etc... i also think the 25HP will work under these conditions, i will also check on prices/availability of 40HP if its slightly more expensive ill go for it, if not i think ill stick with the 25HP 2T...how does that sound guys..
What engine brands are you thinking of , 2 or 4 strokes ? a 30 HP would be better than 25 and cheaper compared to 40 HP, A 420 Rib is heavier than a 420 Sib that can do well with 25, keep that in mind, so the next number, that is 30 will be better for the same weight as of 25. The model chosen will depend on your local brand HP availability. Do you have a Tohatsu distributer near you ? If so look for the 30 or 40C (Compact Version 2 cylinder) of the standard 40 (3 cylinder model) a vey nice weight alternative to the standard heavier 40.

And get at leat one more cruise buddy to sit near the prow and act as a counterweight mate....

Happy Boating
Old 03 March 2008, 19:29   #22

Length: 3m +
the engines available for my price range will be 2 strokes..as for the brands, the most available brand and havin a strog dealer is Mercury, but also yamaha and suzuki are available..couldnt find anyone on the tohatsu
do i need someone on the bow for the 25HP to get into plane or even for the 40HP?
Old 04 March 2008, 01:22   #23

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by marwan View Post
the engines available for my price range will be 2 strokes..as for the brands, the most available brand and havin a strog dealer is Mercury, but also yamaha and suzuki are available..couldnt find anyone on the tohatsu
do i need someone on the bow for the 25HP to get into plane or even for the 40HP?
Mercury's from 2.5 to 50 HP are disguissed Tohatsu's made in Japan in the 2 stroke range, the only difference is price, having Toh better prices as they are not brand re exported as Mercury does from USA to worldwide countries. Buy the one it suits your budget and prefference name, all are Japanese good quality.

If you use any medium/large sib with a 25/30/40 HP engine definitely will need counterweight on the prow, more power, more mates to balance well the sib/rib and perform well as expected. Counterweigh mates will help plane faster any sib with less bow rise.

Happy Boating