Old 13 April 2010, 13:42   #1

Town: Fife
Boat name: The Salty Dog
Make: Zodiac Pro 9 Man
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50hp
Send a message via AIM to lewislikesboats Send a message via MSN to lewislikesboats
25hp/4.3m Humber Assault - Powerful enough?

Very close to buying first boat - Will i regret a buying 4.3m with only a 25hp?

Will just be used for cruising with a couple of people, family etc. No more than four people.
Old 13 April 2010, 14:10   #2

Send a message via AIM to lewislikesboats Send a message via MSN to lewislikesboats
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewislikesboats View Post
Very close to buying first boat - Will i regret a buying 4.3m with only a 25hp?

Will just be used for cruising with a couple of people, family etc. No more than four people.
Usually only one, two or three at most though. Four is occasionally
Old 13 April 2010, 14:56   #3

Town: Fareham
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175Hp
I previously had a 4m with a 25hp on the back and the boat went at a reasonable speed, nothing too hair raising - with four people on it but it did the job.

Later got upgraded to a 50hp as we were taking a full boat out more regularly.
Old 13 April 2010, 15:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbryant View Post
I previously had a 4m with a 25hp on the back and the boat went at a reasonable speed, nothing too hair raising - with four people on it but it did the job.

Later got upgraded to a 50hp as we were taking a full boat out more regularly.
I think it sounds fine, certainly for a first boat and just casual cruising.

How much effort is it to upgrade engine? And rough cost for a reasonable 40hp... 4 stroke?
Would it be easier buying another boat?
Old 13 April 2010, 16:48   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewislikesboats View Post
reasonable 40hp... 4 stroke?

NEVVEERR!!! Dont go over to the four stroke camp!!

Seriously though, a 95-03 ish 2 stroke will be far more reliable, light, cheap and above all the boat is almost certainly designed for one's weight. I assume you dont have a huge budget, and a 4 stroke coming in the same bracket of a 2 of that vintage will have some kind of issue with it, or most certainly older, making it even more heavier etc.
Old 13 April 2010, 18:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
NEVVEERR!!! Dont go over to the four stroke camp!!

Seriously though, a 95-03 ish 2 stroke will be far more reliable, light, cheap and above all the boat is almost certainly designed for one's weight. I assume you dont have a huge budget, and a 4 stroke coming in the same bracket of a 2 of that vintage will have some kind of issue with it, or most certainly older, making it even more heavier etc.
Well the rib i'm looking at is a 4.3m Humber, 25hp Mercury 4stroke bf. It's in our budget, everything we need (i think), selling at the right time, and it's currently a two minute walk from our house.

We are still looking though, and i'm warming to the idea of a two stroke. I suppose performance is more important...
Old 14 April 2010, 11:03   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Like Mbryant, I also had a 25 on the back of a Searider. Worked fine 2 up, got a bit lethargic onto the plane at three, but the SR has the ballast system that you won't have the problem of emptying on the Humber.

You won't break any speed records, but will get a reasonable performance. (I could cruise around the 20 / 22 knt mark 2 up) If it's in budget, It's not a bad place to start. Another option for the times you are 4 up is buy a second propellor an inch or so down in pitch & swap thenm to suit.

Upgrading isn't difficult, It's even easier if your new engine comes with a remote box, then it's just a case of if your clamps don't have the same hole spacing for the bolts, fill the old ones & re drill.

If your new remote comes with no or the wrong length throttle & gear cables, it's a dawdle to fit the old cables into the new box (they all use the same internal gubbins apart form a few really old things and the cables are mostly cross compatible). If you get another Merc, problem solved. but the end fittings kits are anywehere between £5-20 depending on the engine so swapping to a Yam or Evenrude isnlt difficult. In a worst case, you can even use different manufacturer's remotes to the engine - I'm running the Merc off a Yam 703 control.

You could pick a secondhand engine up for not a lot of money, but then it's a risk balance - I did that, and have spent the last 6 months rebuilding it!
Old 14 April 2010, 21:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Like Mbryant, I also had a 25 on the back of a Searider. Worked fine 2 up, got a bit lethargic onto the plane at three, but the SR has the ballast system that you won't have the problem of emptying on the Humber.

You won't break any speed records, but will get a reasonable performance. (I could cruise around the 20 / 22 knt mark 2 up) If it's in budget, It's not a bad place to start. Another option for the times you are 4 up is buy a second propellor an inch or so down in pitch & swap thenm to suit.

Upgrading isn't difficult, It's even easier if your new engine comes with a remote box, then it's just a case of if your clamps don't have the same hole spacing for the bolts, fill the old ones & re drill.

If your new remote comes with no or the wrong length throttle & gear cables, it's a dawdle to fit the old cables into the new box (they all use the same internal gubbins apart form a few really old things and the cables are mostly cross compatible). If you get another Merc, problem solved. but the end fittings kits are anywehere between £5-20 depending on the engine so swapping to a Yam or Evenrude isnlt difficult. In a worst case, you can even use different manufacturer's remotes to the engine - I'm running the Merc off a Yam 703 control.

You could pick a secondhand engine up for not a lot of money, but then it's a risk balance - I did that, and have spent the last 6 months rebuilding it!

Thanks for your advice. By the sounds of it, it's not a problem - If the boat is offered at the right time, it does seem a good option.

Ok, so upgrading isn't really a problem either then. Obviously i would rather get the perfect boat first time, but that's not very likely so it's good to know that changing engine is an option for the future. I think the only problem with that is cost of getting a decent one.

I'm really looking forward to it - The right boat just can't come soon enough!
Old 14 April 2010, 22:45   #9

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
Lewis.

You get what you pay for. Buy cheap get cheap.

I bought my boat with it's original (very old) 'rude premix 2 st 60hp.

I knew I was buying a boat where i would have to change the engine within 2 years and did so after 1 year as it was nothing but a money pit.

I would give my opinion (for what it's worth) that you will be wonderfully diappointed with performance if you don't go in with your eyes open to the real situation.

Ian
Old 14 April 2010, 23:44   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
That sounds to me like its mdt's son's boat (I have memory lapse as to his name!).

In which case its plenty fast enough for a first boat being used in the forth 1 or 2 up. I'm guessing they are upgrading to something bigger and faster though which tells you something! On the other hand bigger engine will be thirstier - which considering I just paid £1.27 a litre (not in a marina) must a concern if you are a "student" as your profile suggests.

You could always upgrade the engine but I suspect in a few years time when its starting to get boring you'll have an itch for a bigger boat anyway and someone else will see that as a good starter package.
Old 15 April 2010, 12:46   #11

.....and if, as Pol thinks, it's form a "known source", you at least know the recent history & problems (or not) the engine has had over the last while. A known history is worth ten times it's weight in spares!

I got the merc for a very, very good price. (I could have spent more on a used 2Hp from a dealer, to give you an idea) By the time I finish, I'll probably have spent the same as I might on an Ebay for a "known runner", which may or may not come with the same or worse problems. Thing is I know I'll have what amounts to a new engine with an old paint job when finished, but I had time on my side to do it (relatively) cheaply!

Such is the lottery of an unknown history.......

Also depending on the engone, it MAY be a relatively simple upgrade to the next size up. My old Suz was a simple middle carb / throttle cam change. 20% more power for (from memory) about £50. Having said that there are posts out there which imply that on some "similar" engines the blocks & gearboxes are the only common part, so if you an let me know what flavour (chassis number would be ideal) it is I'll trawl some microfiches & look at part numbers. (lunchtimes can get boring!
Old 15 April 2010, 15:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by walruz View Post
Lewis.

You get what you pay for. Buy cheap get cheap.

I bought my boat with it's original (very old) 'rude premix 2 st 60hp.

I knew I was buying a boat where i would have to change the engine within 2 years and did so after 1 year as it was nothing but a money pit.

I would give my opinion (for what it's worth) that you will be wonderfully diappointed with performance if you don't go in with your eyes open to the real situation.

Ian
It seems a decent engine - Merc 25hp Bigfoot, so it's not an ancient 2stroke.
From what i can see, the engine will be fine on the boat for a good few years - The only reason i would want to upgrade is for more power.
If something better comes along though, then great. Otherwise it will do for us, and it couldn't be more local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
That sounds to me like its mdt's son's boat (I have memory lapse as to his name!).

In which case its plenty fast enough for a first boat being used in the forth 1 or 2 up. I'm guessing they are upgrading to something bigger and faster though which tells you something! On the other hand bigger engine will be thirstier - which considering I just paid £1.27 a litre (not in a marina) must a concern if you are a "student" as your profile suggests.

You could always upgrade the engine but I suspect in a few years time when its starting to get boring you'll have an itch for a bigger boat anyway and someone else will see that as a good starter package.
It is, yes. He's also called Louis.

I've been out on it and it does perform fine. Obviously not breakneck speed, but i'm fine with that... for now!

Absolutely, it is very economical, drinks almost nothing. Which as you say, is great. Not just because it will cost less, but because i can afford to go out on it more often!

If all goes well, and i don't find anything else before, it will make a good boat. I just wanted to check. It's a sensible boat, which i can use for a few years - It's done Louis for the past few years, it will do me

Quote:
.....and if, as Pol thinks, it's form a "known source", you at least know the recent history & problems (or not) the engine has had over the last while. A known history is worth ten times it's weight in spares!

I got the merc for a very, very good price. (I could have spent more on a used 2Hp from a dealer, to give you an idea) By the time I finish, I'll probably have spent the same as I might on an Ebay for a "known runner", which may or may not come with the same or worse problems. Thing is I know I'll have what amounts to a new engine with an old paint job when finished, but I had time on my side to do it (relatively) cheaply!

Such is the lottery of an unknown history.......

Also depending on the engone, it MAY be a relatively simple upgrade to the next size up. My old Suz was a simple middle carb / throttle cam change. 20% more power for (from memory) about £50. Having said that there are posts out there which imply that on some "similar" engines the blocks & gearboxes are the only common part, so if you an let me know what flavour (chassis number would be ideal) it is I'll trawl some microfiches & look at part numbers. (lunchtimes can get boring!
Thanks for your advice,
It's a 2001 Merc 25hp Bigfoot, if that's any help?!

If i don't find anything else, and it's for sale in the next month or two then it seems like a convenient choice.
Old 15 April 2010, 23:25   #13

Town: fife
Boat name: top dog
Make: avon searider
Engine: yamaha 40
Send a message via MSN to camtheribman
The engine does the boat fine. And It can tow me at a decent speed. The engine is in good nick except the fast idle doesn't work which isn't a problem on that boat.
Old 16 April 2010, 08:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtheribman View Post
It can tow me at a decent speed. The engine is in good nick except the fast idle doesn't work which isn't a problem on that boat.

I think you just answered your own question!

Ref the power change, I had a very quick look at a couple of older PDF brochures, the EFIs seem to be the 25 & 30 sharing the same main bits, earlier stuff seems to be the 20 & 25. But if it does what you need, I'ts not a big problem!
Old 16 April 2010, 10:13   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I think you just answered your own question!
camtheribman and lewislikesboats are not the same person... ...although they are both from Fife, so probably are related!
Old 17 April 2010, 22:14   #16

Forum Closed - I've reached a conclusion :]

Went out in the boat today - Force 5, 2-3m waves. More than fast enough for me
AWESOME fun!
Old 17 April 2010, 22:20   #17

Town: fife
Boat name: top dog
Make: avon searider
Engine: yamaha 40
Send a message via MSN to camtheribman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
camtheribman and lewislikesboats are not the same person... ...although they are both from Fife, so probably are related!
Related through sailing club.