Old 06 July 2006, 17:07   #11

Town: Tofte
Make: Tornado 750
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250 Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by searafting.no
I know of 3 others Suzuki 250 engines that have similar failurs and broke down in south of Norway, they have around 300-400 hours on them and are all on charter boats.

Im thinking the same, piston got to hot because of to little fuel injeted or one cylinder having not as much cooling as the others making the piston to hot.

2 of the Suz down here blew the head gasket on cyl no 2. Looked like small cracks in the top of the block caused a week point where the gasket broke. The last engine got a weird knocking sound. Dont know if its opened yet. Lucky the service at the dealer is fantastick. Non of the boats has been out of business for more than a day.

My engine is still running after 400 hours. Have a oil leak in the tilt and the fuelmanagement system is down.

2 broken kompressors on 275's Verado and some other minor faults on the fuelsystem on the 3rd Verado put it out of business for a couple of days.

Roy

www.rib-adventure.no
RibRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 July 2006, 17:46   #12

Town: Farstad
Boat name: Searafting
Make: Humber Offshore 8,5
Engine: 2 x 250 Suzuki
I have nothing against the Suzukies, but i think it's very important that we get all info out on a board like this, because we are all seeking for the perfect engine for the kind of bussines we run, so far it sames like the Yamaha 4 strokes have almost non problems, Ill get my 250 Verado tomorrow and we are going to post all the problems we might have with them on the board, if we have some THE STEERING AND SOUND OF THE VERADO ENGINES IS AMASING

Have been running Evinrude Ficht 225 engines without any major problems, the problems that we had with the Evinrudes was caused by salt water in the fuel and that caused a fuel pump to rust inside and a fuel injector to rust and stop delivering fuel.

Old 06 July 2006, 18:03   #13

Town: Clitheroe
Length: no boat
It would seem that suzuki and Mercury have tuned their engines too far. Unless there are also problems on for example the 250 verando and 225 suzi? What will the 300 suzi due to be launched in the UK at the london boat show be like?

I thought outbords were usually detuned slightly to stop this sort of thing happening?
Old 06 July 2006, 20:31   #14

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I also think that they are prob running these engines too lean - prob to get around emmissions laws. A richer mixture would help considerably.

I wonder if poor fuel would have anything to do with it? The Verado 275 for example is much the same engine as the 250 but needs super unleaded. Maybe suzuki should advise people to use the same?
Old 07 July 2006, 01:50   #15

Town: Farstad
Boat name: Searafting
Make: Humber Offshore 8,5
Engine: 2 x 250 Suzuki
Why do you think the veradoes us much more fuel than others over 5000 rpms, it`s because they want to be on the safe side and not burning any pistons because of lean conditions.
Old 07 July 2006, 03:07   #16

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
I think most of the brands has there problems, i can se that you have probs with Suzukis and in Sweden the Suzukis are really popular and doesnt have the problems you have, Searafting, you write that Yamaha 4-stroke seams to be the engine that holds, we have problems with them over here, so for the moment there is no perfect engine
Old 07 July 2006, 03:49   #17

Town: Oban
Length: 5m +
Hi, can someone tell me why running lean may cause the engine/cylinders to overheat? Cheers
Old 07 July 2006, 06:25   #18

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Engine: OMC Mod50
lean makes excessive heat that can't be tranfured fast enuff, not to mention that hp is down when lean, the piston has about .005 thou clearance,
at dead center of the bore the bullet has about .0025 on each side,
when it get to hot it will out grow that .005 and STICK.
lean likes to burn a hole dead center in the crown.
Old 07 July 2006, 07:15   #19

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Engine: OMC Mod50
last i knew, mite have changed, Emitions of an outboard are only at idle, after that you are free to make as much as you want. power that is.
Old 07 July 2006, 14:53   #20

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrov
I think most of the brands has there problems, i can se that you have probs with Suzukis and in Sweden the Suzukis are really popular and doesnt have the problems you have, Searafting, you write that Yamaha 4-stroke seams to be the engine that holds, we have problems with them over here, so for the moment there is no perfect engine
What Probleams have you had with your Yamaha four strokes