Boat name: Humma
Make: Humber Destoyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Out b 75 hp Marriner
MMSI: 235068231
RIBase
2 stroke oil warning beep

Hi
Using mariner 75 hp 2 stroke outboard, when the 2 stroke oil is getting low (only used once so far) you here a beep, does this change to continues sound as the oil is used also what point or level does this start and go continues.take advice on this rather (always used pre mix before) than find out the hard way
Stuart
Old 21 November 2008, 23:25   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
stul, my understanding is the convention is a "warning" such as oil tank level goes: "Beep.........Beep.........Beep......Beep..... ..." which needs attention but not necessarily right this second. In contrast a fault requiring immediate attention goes "Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" - most commonly an overheat/water flow alarm. Depending on the engine the revs may also be cut at that point. Don't think any "smallish" traditional 2 stroke will be "sophisticated" enough to have multiple oil level sensors. So I think the next oil warning you get aften the initial beep beep beep might be the engine going bang!
Old 22 November 2008, 06:23   #3

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
So I think the next oil warning you get aften the initial beep beep beep might be the engine going bang!
Yup. I was training some divers on their own boat last year. We launched the boat, switched on the engine (pretty sure it was a 75 Mariner) and got the long beep. They thought it was their GPS alarm - apparently it had been going beep beep beep the previous day.

They were a bit shocked when we switched the GPS off and the noise kept going! Anyway, boat immediately back on trailer, off to the mechanic, and result - new powerhead cost them two and a half grand.

Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2008, 07:59   #4

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
And that is why my oil never is allowed to fall below half way.

That is a very expensive lesson to learn.

Ian
Old 22 November 2008, 09:05   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I used to have a Mariner 40 2 stroke which I presume works in the same way. On the 40, there was a float switch in the oil tank (under the engine hood). If the tank was quite low and you went over a wave it would beep briefly as the float went down. Obviously when it got really low the float would be low all the time hence you would get a continuous beep. Either way, if it's beeping, it needs filling up!
Old 22 November 2008, 09:17   #6

Length: 4m +
Send a message via MSN to Vintec
With my Yamaha 30 hp 2 stroke, when oillevel is down, it first goes into emergency run after some wild moves. Then I've to shut it down and I can go on a little while, meaning 5 or 10 minutes before it will go on emergency run continuesly.
No noice, just a red light at the engine, and it'll only do stationary rev's.
I know the oillevel will be 2/3 down after two or two and a half full fueltanks of 25 ltr (depends on what I've been doing, cruising or racing/waterskiing), so I always fill up when I go for my third fueltank, which then ofcourse is my first fueltank for my new full oiltank.

You'll never get in trouble if you check the oillevel regurlarly, or like I do always on at the same moments. And for safety always have a spare 2stroke-oil can of approx 1 liter with you, so if you ever forgert to check the level and the engine will go "beep, beep, beep" or like mine in emergency run with the red light on, you can shut it down asap to fill it up again.
Old 23 November 2008, 12:17   #7

Town: STOKE
Boat name: Humma
Make: Humber Destoyer 5.5
Engine: Out b 75 hp Marriner
MMSI: 235068231
RIBase
Thanks for info, just about how I thought it worked,
When I trialled the boat the owner told me if I filled the 2 stroke all the way up it would spill out as the tops are poor.
Have had a look from the top, and there were some signs of leaking, although there is a good o ring fitting and twist lock cap. Will have too keep an eye on level and as most boaters do keep spare oil on board.
I could ask if anyone else had had a problem with poor fitting oil cap and spillage in the rough .
ps do you need to switch engine off before filling, been told by my wise friend to do this, system needs to be pressurised.?

Stuart
Old 24 November 2008, 09:42   #8

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
For what it's worth my old Suz 25 had an oil flow sensor - the float triggered the "beep........beep" low oil warning already talked about, but the flow sensor (essentially a gate switch held open by the passage of the oil) was sited between the oil tank & the pump and would trigger the "BEEEEEEEEEP" (and I think cut the engine too, but never had the guts to test it in anger!).

I guess it's the one (probably the only!) good thing about premix........ I know when the alarm goes off it's an overheat problem!