Old 15 December 2013, 19:24   #1

2 or 4 stroke

Hey guys really need some advice!

I have a 3.8m sea search inflatable and i need a engine I'm looking at a 25hp but cant decide for 2 or 4 stroke!
I will be using my boat for fishing towing things and general cruising around, i live close the a harbour with a ramp..

Any advice would be great!
Cheers
Old 15 December 2013, 19:31   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Do you have a trailer? I've a 3.8 with 25 two stroke.....you won't want to carry it far.....you won't carry a four stroke 25 at all.
Old 15 December 2013, 19:35   #3

Yes i do have a trailer
Old 15 December 2013, 19:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by liammurraystrout View Post
Yes i do have a trailer
Are you going to always have the engine mounted? If yes it's down to the usual arguments for and against each....
Old 15 December 2013, 20:36   #5

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Liam,

Welcome to Ribnet.

+1 to Peter's comments. Do a search - there are plenty of discussions on this subject lurking in here!
Old 15 December 2013, 22:49   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Do you have a trailer? I've a 3.8 with 25 two stroke.....you won't want to carry it far.....you won't carry a four stroke 25 at all.

+1 If you are leaving it mounted on the transom then a 4 stroke just about edges it on fuel economy and noise level.

But for removing it manually, simplicity, power to weight, better hole shot then 2 stroke would be (and is) my choice.

Just my opinion
Old 25 December 2013, 20:00   #7

Town: London
Boat name: Jeepster
Make: Marina 16 GT
Engine: Outboard, Petrol, 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartiny View Post
+1 If you are leaving it mounted on the transom then a 4 stroke just about edges it on fuel economy and noise level.

But for removing it manually, simplicity, power to weight, better hole shot then 2 stroke would be (and is) my choice.

Just my opinion
You forgot reliability...A 2 stroke will wear out the piston rings at least 2/3rds quicker than a 4 fourstroke, sometimes much quicker still, and the plugs get fouled with oil much quicker too...Not good to be left with no compression and a dead engine when your out at sea miles from land!
Suzuki DF 4 stroke outboards add even higher reliabilty and dependability than 4 strokes from other outboard manufacturers because they use ultra reliable timing chains, not the usual "Pray to god it never snaps" timing belts!...Lets face it, the consequences of a snapped timing belt at an inopertune moment could be absolutely disasterous...Just saying.
Old 25 December 2013, 20:17   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
For that size boat you cant beat a two stroke especialy if your towing toys as much better low end grunt
Forget wearing out rings they just dont do the hours! Most die of old age neglect or abuse
Power to weight is much better & less to go wrong & you wont need a laptop to fix it! & lets face it fuel consumption at that size is hardly an issue
A 25 yam or tohatsu would be ideal
Imho of course
Old 25 December 2013, 20:53   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
You forgot reliability...A 2 stroke will wear out the piston rings at least 2/3rds quicker than a 4 fourstroke, sometimes much quicker still, and the plugs get fouled with oil much quicker too...Not good to be left with no compression and a dead engine when your out at sea miles from land!
Suzuki DF 4 stroke outboards add even higher reliabilty and dependability than 4 strokes from other outboard manufacturers because they use ultra reliable timing chains, not the usual "Pray to god it never snaps" timing belts!...Lets face it, the consequences of a snapped timing belt at an inopertune moment could be absolutely disasterous...Just saying.
Haven't you had enough of being ridiculed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
For that size boat you cant beat a two stroke especialy if your towing toys as much better low end grunt
Forget wearing out rings they just dont do the hours! Most die of old age neglect or abuse
Power to weight is much better & less to go wrong & you wont need a laptop to fix it! & lets face it fuel consumption at that size is hardly an issue
A 25 yam or tohatsu would be ideal
Imho of course

I second what BeamishKen said.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2013, 23:23   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Quote:
WOW Thanks for that I had better junk my 25 year old Mariner 25hp 2st 110psi per cly. never missed a beat (as far as I know) 2 str. for a more reliable 4 str.
Old 26 December 2013, 15:02   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
You forgot reliability...A 2 stroke will wear out the piston rings at least 2/3rds quicker than a 4 fourstroke, sometimes much quicker still, and the plugs get fouled with oil much quicker too...
how many outboards fail from wearing out the piston rings? water, corrosion, electrics, overheating seem to be the factors that kill engines...

Quote:
Not good to be left with no compression and a dead engine when your out at sea miles from land!
wear is not a sudden thing...

Quote:
Chains do of course fail occasionally too - so you might be overestimating the reliability. At least with a belt you know there is a risk and therefore a maintenance schedule to manage that.
Old 26 December 2013, 19:10   #12

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
WTF!!!
Old 26 December 2013, 19:21   #13
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
WTF!!!
He's kinda nuts. People on here just need to be aware of that and give him a little "personal space", like they do with the odd guy on the bus with the multiple plastic bags who mutters about mind control rays...

He's harmless, except when he gets us all lathered up
Old 26 December 2013, 19:30   #14

2 stokes do half as many stokes as 4 strokes...so they last twice as long...obvious isn't it?
Old 26 December 2013, 20:40   #15

Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Celtic Wanderer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6, Honda
MMSI: 235087784
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I was told to stay clear of Suzuki engines as they have a composite gear between the power head and the gearbox / drive that is known to fail
Old 26 December 2013, 20:42   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
... like they do with the odd guy on the bus with the multiple plastic bags who mutters about mind control rays...
I only do that so I get a seat to myself.
Old 26 December 2013, 20:46   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I only do that so I get a seat to myself.
Oh I've heard you muttering:

"Among a fringe community of paranoids, aluminum helmets serve as the protective measure of choice against invasive radio signals. We investigate the efficacy of three aluminum helmet designs on a sample group of four individuals. Using a $250,000 network analyser, we find that although on average all helmets attenuate invasive radio frequencies in either directions (either emanating from an outside source, or emanating from the cranium of the subject), certain frequencies are in fact greatly amplified. These amplified frequencies coincide with radio bands reserved for government use according to the Federal Communication Commission (FCC). Statistical evidence suggests the use of helmets may in fact enhance the government’s invasive abilities. We theorize that the government may in fact have started the helmet craze for this reason."

Old 26 December 2013, 20:59   #18

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
2 stokes do half as many stokes as 4 strokes...so they last twice as long...obvious isn't it?
Ah so that's the logic behind jeepster building a custom trailer with 1/2 as much steel, only 1/2 as much to rust eh?
Old 27 December 2013, 14:22   #19

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: outboard
Keep everyone happy and go for a 3 stroke!
Old 03 January 2014, 22:41   #20

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote: