Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 19 March 2006, 21:01   #1

Town: Bangor,Co Down
Make: Gemini/ Avon
Length: 4m +
1995 Suzuki 55 2 stroke/Johnston 60 questions

I may have the chance to purchase a 1995 Suzuki 55 2 stroke l/s in the near future.

It looks to be in good nick and has been used lightly and frequently off a small fishing boat. The owner is a reputable person.

What is a reasonable price to pay for this engine and does anyone know of any bad press re this model?

Also, I'm currently running a 1995 60hp Johnston 2 stroke with a separate oil tank supply.

I'm not adding any oil to the petrol tank. Is this ok or should I be adding some oil to the petrol just in case?

If I should then what ratio should I be adding to the tank?

Thanks in advance
Old 19 March 2006, 21:56   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Can't comment on your Johnson oil dilemma, but I've heard of lots of people removing the VRO system from these motors and pre-mixing the 2-stroke instead. Read into that what you may.
The 3 cyl Suzuki 55 is a cracking motor - basically, a detuned 65, which was one of the leading outboards in its class at the time. Ther's nothing really problematic to look out for, other than the general stuff with all outboards: cooling, compression, gear selection, etc. Some of these didn't have power trim & tilt - not essential, but nice if it's there. Value will depend on its condition and use - I suppose if it's in good nick and running nicely (with PTT) then you should do ok if you get it for less than £800.
What's he asking for it and do you know how many hours it's done
Old 19 March 2006, 22:10   #3

Town: Bangor,Co Down
Make: Gemini/ Avon
Length: 4m +
It has PTT and was used about 5 days a week for doing the pots so it was not thrashed about. It was brought from a freshwater environment and he has been offered a Mercury 'Bigfoot' hence the reason for possibly selling it on. No price has been mentioned yet. Just wanted to know what the going rate was for an engine like this. I would be intending to stick it on the back of a 15ft Shetland Sealark.