Click Here to Login

Old 14 January 2016, 21:51   #1

Town: WAterford
Boat name: na
Make: Rimini
Length: 5m +
Engine: dt85
1993 Evinrude 40hp SE40RSLG commercial model

Hey guys very new to outboards anybody know anything about this particular OMC motor? It seems to be in good condition check out the link below for the pics. The guy says it pumps water great and starts first pull.

Anybody know if I could carry this by myself? I am a pretty big guy just dont know the weight of this particular motor.

Also I want to go up the rive about 20 miles will this cost me an arm and a leg? putting it behind a 4.2 sib.

Reliability?

Also whats the difference between the commercial motors and the recreational ones.

350 sound like a good price for this?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/collection/Q9Gwx

thanks so much guys.
Old 15 January 2016, 18:12   #2

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Looks like a Suzuki to me.

And any 40HP motor is going to be pretty hefty depends on how far you have to carry it !

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 19:00   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I assume it's parked next to a suzuki iirc the 40 commercial was a de rated 50 so it's a heavy engine about 75kg I think so a bit of a lump on your own they were pretty reliable but like all old 2 strokes they liked a drink if worked hard
Old 15 January 2016, 20:05   #4

Yeah it is just parked next to the Suzuki. Suzuki is for sale as well but it needs a bottom end. So it should be a pretty good engine for my first one? Of this size. I just need to lug it from the jeep to the shore. Should never be Further so not far mostly just down the launch ramp. Might get a trolley for it or something. I know what to look for on most outboards on this particular one though anything I should be wary of? I am going to do a compression test and I heard that commercials are lower compression any idea how much lower? I probably won't sleep tonight way to excited hahaha. Driving 2 1/2 hours to look at it and then an old Avon 4.2 that it will sit on the back of.
Old 17 January 2016, 21:51   #5

Thanks for the advice guys picked up two motors yesterday. Got two Evinrudes for 525 Euros. One looks like its about an 1985 40hp and the other is the previous motor discussed. Went through them pretty well they were being sold by a voluntary Marine rescue group seemed like great guys and the motors had always been serviced every year. I checked the compression the Commercial model had 115 on top and 118 on bottom, the other short shaft version 120 and 120. The newer motor started perfectly the older one took a bit of coaxing but it was literally freezing outside and it had been sitting for a 5 years so I am guessing the carbs need a real good clean.
My problems now are the gear boxes they shifted fine and did not grind or anything but in the older motor the gear oil is murky kinda milky? I am curious if that could be because its been sitting for so long or if it really needs the seals replaced. My other problem is I could not check the other one motor cause the plug was stuck guessing I am gonna need an impact screwdriver on that? Any other tell tell signs to check if a gear box is dead?
Old 17 January 2016, 22:16   #6

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Be cautious of using an impact driver on the drain plug, quite soft alloy....

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2016, 22:19   #7

Ohhh yeah and your right about the 40hp being pretty hefty!!! I think I am gonna need a trailer or to join the gym!!!
Old 18 January 2016, 08:16   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by idsebby View Post
Thanks for the advice guys picked up two motors yesterday. Got two Evinrudes for 525 Euros. One looks like its about an 1985 40hp and the other is the previous motor discussed. Went through them pretty well they were being sold by a voluntary Marine rescue group seemed like great guys and the motors had always been serviced every year. I checked the compression the Commercial model had 115 on top and 118 on bottom, the other short shaft version 120 and 120. The newer motor started perfectly the older one took a bit of coaxing but it was literally freezing outside and it had been sitting for a 5 years so I am guessing the carbs need a real good clean.
My problems now are the gear boxes they shifted fine and did not grind or anything but in the older motor the gear oil is murky kinda milky? I am curious if that could be because its been sitting for so long or if it really needs the seals replaced. My other problem is I could not check the other one motor cause the plug was stuck guessing I am gonna need an impact screwdriver on that? Any other tell tell signs to check if a gear box is dead?
milky oil is water, seals worn
Old 18 January 2016, 13:02   #9

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by idsebby View Post
They're good engines.

Break in to the gearcase and look for rusty gears. You're going to have to do it anyways to replace the prop seal.

Also, you probably should do the water pump while you're at it.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2016, 20:47   #10

I have put a good few engines in cars but when it comes to outboards they scare me probably because I have never really cracked one open. Is that a big job removing the gear case? Changing the water pump and seals? Is it plug and play or is there timing and what not to be careful with?

Tags
40hp, commercial, evinrude