Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 22 March 2012, 19:12   #61

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Try sticking it in a large bucket if you can find something big enough. They don't pump on muffs very well at the best of times.

You don't need to use manufacturer specific brushes. You can source through local suppliers, eBay etc. sometimes you can use ones from other systems and custom them to fit.

On this subject we went into our local alternator store who refused to sell us the brushes yesterday. He said "if I do that you won't buy a new starter off me to replace it with". His logic being by selling the £6 brushes, I don't need a £120 starter. I tried to explain that as I don't need a complete starter anyway he's not getting £120 regardless if he will sell the brushes he had sat on his shelf to me or not! We ended up ordering off eBay.

We took from it that if you know what your doing (ie you know it just needs new brushes) we don't want your custom, if however you have no idea (ie we took the starter in for them to repair) we'd be happy to help - to have been told we needed a new starter and got done for £120!

No wonder these small outlets are going bust with an attitude like that!
Old 22 March 2012, 22:49   #62

Town: Solent
Make: Phantom 21
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 200hp V6
Thanks for that mate. Will try from an old dustbin

Made a video of it running tonight.

You can see that as the engine is running and revs, the demand on water from the muffs increases as the amount pissing out the side of the muffs reduces and then increases when the engine is turned off. So it seems to be going in but not coming out anywhere. Although it can't be seen clearly in the video, there is abolutely nothing coming out of the tell tale.

Planning to take the lower leg off at the weekend.

Cheers again for all the help folks, it's much appreciated
Old 22 March 2012, 22:53   #63
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2488 View Post
it seems to be going in but not coming out anywhere. Although it can't be seen clearly in the video, there is abolutely nothing coming out of the tell tale.
It's pumping water-it's coming out of the middle of the prop like it's supposed to. The telltale is just an indicator, not where all the water comes out.

I suspect your telltale is blocked.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2012, 09:07   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
It's pumping water-it's coming out of the middle of the prop like it's supposed to. The telltale is just an indicator, not where all the water comes out.

I suspect your telltale is blocked.
Well that's what I thought, but then thought it's possible that the water coming out was just the excess from where it was spilling out of the muffs. But as I write this, I'm thinking that wouldn't be the case as the excess water was running over the top of the prop, not through the middle.

On another note, had a quick look at the gearbox oil last night and it's not good. Doesn't look like it's been changed in a loooong time, so planning to do that as well. But I couldn't find a drain hole in the lower leg, just the vent hole below the cavitation plate? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 23 March 2012, 09:28   #65

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
Quote:
On another note, had a quick look at the gearbox oil last night and it's not good. Doesn't look like it's been changed in a loooong time, so planning to do that as well. But I couldn't find a drain hole in the lower leg, just the vent hole below the cavitation plate? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Look harder jonny! it should be at the front of the 'bullet'
Old 23 March 2012, 09:54   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by samt View Post
Look harder jonny! it should be at the front of the 'bullet'
Cheers mate! Will have a look when I get home. Hope you're well.
J.
Old 23 March 2012, 13:19   #67
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Length: 4m +
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
But I couldn't find a drain hole in the lower leg

lye flatt onn yorr bakk unnder de enjin wiv de skegg restin onn yor nowse.

att dis poynt downt lett noe fkker mess wiv de trimm butten

cloze yorr rite iye.

wiv yorr lefft iye peroose de aformenshund drayn/fil scroo

dis mite nott werk ifn yorr crossiyed

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2012, 22:10   #68

Lower leg oil and waterpump changed. Lower leg now back on but for some reason it's really tough to crank now. The new impeller is obviously providing some resistance but nowhere near as much as required to make it this difficult to crank.

I'm yet to go out and buy a new battery (after intial efforts to bring the last one back to life, I think it's a gonner) but the principle remains that it was easy to pull start before and now it's not possible.

Driveshaft and gear shift linkage all went in without any issues so I'm currently struggling to see what's causing the problem. It's easy to pull when the spark plugs are out and then it's as it was before, but the moment they go back in, it's tough.

Any thoughts, much appreciated.
Cheers.
Old 14 May 2012, 22:28   #69

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
Lower leg oil and waterpump changed. Lower leg now back on but for some reason it's really tough to crank now. The new impeller is obviously providing some resistance but nowhere near as much as required to make it this difficult to crank.

I'm yet to go out and buy a new battery (after intial efforts to bring the last one back to life, I think it's a gonner) but the principle remains that it was easy to pull start before and now it's not possible.

Driveshaft and gear shift linkage all went in without any issues so I'm currently struggling to see what's causing the problem. It's easy to pull when the spark plugs are out and then it's as it was before, but the moment they go back in, it's tough.

Any thoughts, much appreciated.
Cheers.
Are you sure you havent put the gear linkage back together wrong and its put itself in gear?

Doe sthe prop spin freely when you turn it by hand?
Old 15 May 2012, 12:42   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Are you sure you havent put the gear linkage back together wrong and its put itself in gear?

Doe sthe prop spin freely when you turn it by hand?
I'm pretty sure the gear linkage it back together correctly but I will get the leg off and see if that makes a difference.

The prop is currently off but I haven't tried to turn the prop shaft by hand, will do later.
Old 15 May 2012, 18:19   #71

The propshaft turns freely with ease. No luck getting the lower leg off tonight though. Will attempt tomorrow when I've got more time.
Old 21 August 2012, 18:38   #72

Hi guys,

Been a while. Got round to doing some more work on the engine recently. Since my last post I've changed the waterpump kit and replaced some of the old and cracked fuel/breather hoses. It's running much better now but still isn't perfect. It's great to start with but then after about 5minutes and the engine's warm, it struggles to rev properly.

Apologies for the shocking quality but you can just make out then when I go to increase the revs, it's almost stalling as if there is a lack of fuel being supplied to the engine.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
J.
Old 21 August 2012, 20:18   #73

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
Are you just revving it via the carb linkages. that wont work as it doesnt adjust the timing . you need to reev it vai the throttle or the small throttle lever on the box. dont do it from the carb linkages.
Mine doesnt like that at all.
Old 21 August 2012, 20:55   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza2011 View Post
Are you just revving it via the carb linkages. that wont work as it doesnt adjust the timing . you need to reev it vai the throttle or the small throttle lever on the box. dont do it from the carb linkages.
Mine doesnt like that at all.
Ahhh. That makes a lot of sense, thanks jezza. Yeah I had been trying both but was mainly using the carb linkages to rev it so that I was able to see what was going on at the same time. It did seem better with the throttle but now I know, I'll only try it that way from now on.

Thanks a lot mate.