Old 25 August 2005, 08:59   #1

Town: Stockholm
Make: .
Length: 9m +
Engine: .
115 hp

Looking for a 115 hp, new.

Should I buy a 4 stroke or 2?

Yamaha, Honda, Evinrude, Johnson, Mercury, Mariner.

I can probably get a very good price on a new honda from a friend, but I have no idea if the honda is good.

The rib is 7m and the weight is low around 400kg without engine.

Whats the difference in sound at high rpm with a 4stroke and a 2 stroke?
Old 25 August 2005, 11:33   #2

Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
There's a lot off difference in sound especialy at low revs.

Go for any 4 stroke if the weight is not problem. They are always bit more heavy then the 2strokes.
4 strokes will use less fuel then the conventional 2 strokes.

Alle brands that you have mentioned are good. Don't forget the Suzuki's.
Old 25 August 2005, 11:58   #3

Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Honda 115 4 stroke is around 225kg but its also has the most displacement of any other 115 4 stroke in its class thus it is the most powerful, so if weight of the engine isnt a big concern id go with Honda
Old 25 August 2005, 11:59   #4

http://www.honda-marine.com/pdfs/115hp.pdf
Old 25 August 2005, 12:58   #5

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
It really all depends on if you want two-stroke(new tech -forget regular carb/efi engines!!) or four-stroke. Both have valid arguments, which is better is entirely up to the owner?

Personally if it were me, I'd find it very hard not to be considering the 115 Optimax.

Sure the 4-strokes will be quieter, although at low speed there's not much between them, its only at high rpms that you'll notice the difference.

Don't leave anybody tell you that fuel consumption is better with a 4-stroke either, new-tech 2-stokes (optimax, etec, ficht, hpdi) are just as good on fuel and can be better in some instances.

As for performance, well the 115 Optimax will easily win this one, being the lightest engine here and also being 2-stroke. The only other that will give it a run for its money would be the 115 ficht (theres no 115 etec or hpdi yet!!). As for the Honda being the most powerful due to its displacement, it weighs 225kg (thats the same weight as a 3.0l V6 Optimax!!)

If it has to be a 4-stroke then go with either the suzuki or yamaha, at least they've made some attempt at keeping the weight down.

hp/ton
Honda4............511
Merc Optimax....676
Suzuki4........... 605
Yamaha4..........592
Evinrude Ficht...676
Evinrude etec....688

The Etec 115 isn't out here yet but it would certainly be worth waiting for, will be quieter and more fuel efficient than equivalent 4strokes not to mention no servicing for first 3yrs.

I will say that the above is biased as I will never buy a 4-stroke engine, I prefer to hear the exhaust note scream and the kick in the back feeling you get from an opti when floored . It will always come down to personal preference though, but I will warn you about those hondas- they're big heavy and slow and there are better alternatives!
Old 25 August 2005, 13:24   #6

Make: .
Engine: .
Thank you

I like the sound from 2 stroke and the trottleresponse, I had a johnson 225 hp (from late 80´s) and when I was "young" I bought a brand new Evinrude 60 hp (don´t remember the year, but the first 3 cyl 737cc in Sweden).

The boat is so light www.rib.nu (Rib unlimited 700) so I will probably go for a 2 stroke and keep the the "kit" light. The service cost is also higher on a 4 stroke. I will use the boat in to Stockholm (it´s not more than 5-6nm). And for fun...

I will take a closer look at 115 optimax, is it carb or fuelinj?
Old 25 August 2005, 13:45   #7

The Optimax is high-pressure fuel injection. They also come with Smartcraft engine management which is probably the best outboard engine management system there is. Some good deals can be had on them in the UK, but not so sure about Sweden. Read about them here:

Mercury English Brochure

Mercury Swedish Brochure

Smartcraft
Old 25 August 2005, 13:48   #8

swginn i wouldnt say going 60mph on my friends RIBCRAFT 5.85 with a 115 Honda on the back of it is slow also the Throttle response is much more sensitive on the 4 stroke than my current 90 2 stroke (yamaha)
Old 25 August 2005, 14:12   #9

Wow 52kts (60mph)!! I can't even hit that with a lighter 150hp behind me. They must build those Hondas different across the water, that's UNBELIEVABLE!!

I've driven several Honda engine RIBs and I'm sorry IMHO I just think they feel slow and cumbersome to get on the power. Flat out they're not bad but the pickup/hole-shot ain't great to be honest. No need to get annoyed its only an opinion. Out of curiousity have you ever driven an Opti/Etec/HPDI engined RIB??
Old 25 August 2005, 14:25   #10

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
115 Opti, very good, very smooth and good responce.
Old 25 August 2005, 14:40   #11

heh np...only 1 person onboard and it was a dead calm day but i have never driven an optimax/etec/or hpdi engined RIB i have driven a 18 ft whaler with an optimax on it and that flies too i didnt even have enough confidence to go WOT on it because i thought it was very fast already heh. I couldnt imagine what an optimax or etec would do hangin off a RIB. ive never driven an etec or hpdi on any type of boat though
Old 25 August 2005, 21:01   #12

Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Engine: Plenty
No problem with a 4.stroke on the Rib unlimited, the service cost is more expensive but so is oil and higher fuelconsumption, you will probably loose a couple of knots but 4-stroke is very reliable and quit, if you dont looking for topspeed i would go for a 4-stroke, ring Mats Lindgren på RIB Unlimited så kan han säkert komma med bra råd (translation: Give Mats Lindgren at Rib Unlimited and he will probably give you good advice)