Old 29 June 2005, 09:53   #11

Town: houston
Boat name: Panga
Make: Angler
Length: 8m +
Engine: 1.7 dti 1/o diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
I run a combined boost/exhaust temp guage but it's on a Volvo not on a wee Merc. The boost gives a good indication of the load at a particular speed but, interestingly, exhaust temp doesn't always follow what you might expect. I better add that I'm measuring exhaust temp after the water injection. The exhaust temp is partly to warn of a water failure. The guage has settable alarms and is also linked to an external sounder.
I'm really keen on getting a boost guage set up on the wee merc. Seems all the failures I've heard of for this engine have to do with failure of the waste gate to function properly and causing an over boost condition (way overstressing the engine). Is the alarm settable for for the boost part too? That would be helpful for the merc owners I think. I'll do some nosing around for the volvo guages. Automotive guages are available but none are made with stainless hardware... I'd use guages like in my truck (also a cummins diesel) if they where just stainless.. Thanks for that bit of info! Arlon.

Old 29 June 2005, 09:58   #12

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Can't remember about the boost alarm. I'll have a look. The gauge is not a Volvo component, it was designed for competition vehicles. The boost sensor is stainless, the temp one is brass, the cabling is all well sealed and twisted screened pairs are used to limit interference.

There are also temperature sensors which are designed for direct exhaust gas temp. measurement. Sensors are chosen to suit the application. I chose the one which reads standard engine water temp because the cooled exhaust temp. is approx. 65c, so nicely in range.

Edit: Yes, there is a settable turbo boost alarm.

Old 29 June 2005, 10:51   #13

Can you tell me who makes the guage? sounds nice. Are the guages seperate or on one face? dials or digital? sorry for being a pest but that just sounds like a great guage for the application I have. Arlon
Old 29 June 2005, 12:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlon
Can you tell me who makes the guage? sounds nice. Are the guages seperate or on one face? dials or digital? sorry for being a pest ...
Yup, SPA Design. They're a UK company - enquiries@spa-uk.co.uk - for info. The folk who sell them are - www.demon-tweeks.co.uk I didn't find their web side particularly informative about what was included in the various kit options but the boost/temp gauge comes as standard with the boost sensor and the normal engine temp sensor. If you want the direct exhaust temp, you'll need the thermocouple and the adapter which scales the thermocouple output to the gauge input. Tha gauge is digital, has a back-light which is adjustable for brightness and colour and contains two readout fields. The connector on the rear of the gauge is not water resistant although the engine end is fine. You're not a pest - it's no problem.
Old 29 June 2005, 13:19   #15

Thanks JW, found it. That's about a perfect fit for what I want! Didn't realize anyone had a combo unit and the alarm just seals the deal! I think I just found by christmas present and birthday present! One for the boat and one for the truck! Arlon
Old 29 June 2005, 13:26   #16

Cool. It's pity (at your end ) that the $ is still about 1.8ish/.

If you are serious and have any difficulty sourcing it, give me a shout and something can likely be organised.
Old 30 September 2006, 13:42   #17
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlon
Thanks JW, found it. That's about a perfect fit for what I want! Didn't realize anyone had a combo unit and the alarm just seals the deal! I think I just found by christmas present and birthday present! One for the boat and one for the truck! Arlon
I know this is an old thread but, what product are you talking about?!

Niall
Old 30 September 2006, 13:52   #18

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...pcode=P/EDG206

and for other gauges

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...051&tlgrp=M027
Old 30 September 2006, 14:08   #19
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Cheers for that! Is that just for the gauge? Where on the Merc 1.7 should I be connecting to for the boost?
Old 30 September 2006, 19:24   #20

Nah, it's the complete kit. The boost sensor needs to screw into the inlet manifold or the air ducting from the intercooler. I have a big screwed plug in mine so I drilled a hole in it and tapped a thread to suit the sensor. If you have something already screwed into the manifold, you can buy a T piece to take both original and boost sensor. I don't know your engine so can't give specific advice. If it has a fitting to take a manifold heater, perhaps you could use that.

The temperature sensor is similar to a standard car fitting. I made a wee adaptor and clamped it to the top of the exhaust riser, below the water section, with a jubilee clip. From memory, the riser on your motor goes upwards from the turbo outlet and it is easily accessible so it shouldn't be too difficult to arrange something.

I've just had a wee look at the manual. It's difficult to tell from the line drawings but there appears to be some sort of plug at the starboard end of the airway which passes over the top of the motor from the heat exchanger.
The exhaust downpipe is shown and that would be a good place for the temp sensor if you can get access to it. Also, it shows the plug at the front of the heat exchanger which was removed to adapt a tell tale as mentioned in the other thread. It is the heat exchanger drain plug.