Old 18 July 2008, 13:38   #11

Town: Exmouth
Boat name: Vlasdovka
Make: Tremlett
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 DTI
RE:- Cat tales above. Just had the same thing happen to me today, engine 5yrs old but only 130hrs on clock, just had new turbo fitted yesterday!!!!!!

Old 07 August 2008, 19:00   #12

Town: Burwash, East Sussex
Make: BWM Deepsea 21
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
FYI.
I saw a post about crap starter motors on these engines.
My dad has this motor in his river boat on the Thames. Last week he went to start it and the starter did not disengage from the flywheel ringear so the engine spun the starter. This was only noticed by the smoke coming from under the engine cowling.
Mercruiser wanted some silly figure for a new starter, So i went down to the local motor factors. Asked for a Vauxhall Astra mk4 diesel starter motor. I can tell you the starter they gave me is identical in every way to the Mercruiser one, just not painted black. At 69 is a bargain, and works perfectly, just a sod to change.

I also had starter failure on my uncles RIB which has a VW 150hp tdi inboard (straight out a VW Transporter van), only the solenoid would not engage. I put it down to the fact that car derived engines have the starter located at the bottom of the bellhousing right in the damp of the bilge. Luckily this boat still has warranty on the engine, so is being done by RK marine. The starter on these VW engines requires the engine to be removed from the boat to be replaced! Glad im not paying for it!

Old 31 August 2008, 19:16   #13

Town: Cannes
Boat name: midkat 550
Make: apoge
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2x50 Tohatsu
The 1.7DTI Mercruiser outputs 120hp @ 4200rpm, and the wastegate limits the turbo pressure.
A Mercruiser technician warned me : if the wastegate is blocked for any reason, the power can raise to 150hp or more at 4500rpm.

So, take care, if your engine seems to become more powerful, death is very close - check the wastegate !
Old 01 September 2008, 12:58   #14

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorfuoj View Post
The 1.7DTI Mercruiser outputs 120hp @ 4200rpm, and the wastegate limits the turbo pressure.
A Mercruiser technician warned me : if the wastegate is blocked for any reason, the power can raise to 150hp or more at 4500rpm.

So, take care, if your engine seems to become more powerful, death is very close - check the wastegate !
As the old saying goes "if it seems too good to be true then it probably is!"

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote